+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First hockey game in two years!  (Read 18103 times)

Arrojo

First hockey game in two years!
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
I played hockey last night, with a group of guys I've played with for years.  Most are younger than me; many played in HS and college.  I felt a little rusty out there, but improved as the game wore on.  It was a good test of the fast twitch muscles.

No pain, the hip felt great.  Biggest issue I noticed was my skating - stopping on a dime, turning in tight circles.  That used to be my forte.   I remain optimistic that it will all come back and a lot was just rustiness and getting used to the pace and flow of skating.  I plan to play once a week through May.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

hernanu

Re: First hockey game in two years!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Cool stuff. Most of the guys I play soccer with play hockey in the winter.

It'll come back, I think - I saw some definite improvement in soccer the more I played; you know how it is, no matter how much you strengthen things in the gym, it's not the same as playing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mr.Box

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
Arrojo, I've skated about 4-5 times since my surgery. I can tell you it all comes back quickly!
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
Again - more inspirational stuff. Keep us posted!!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
Arrojo, I've skated about 4-5 times since my surgery. I can tell you it all comes back quickly!

You were right!  I played last night and my skating was great!  It finally came back and I was flying out there.  Everything seemed to click. Now if I could only shoot the puck....
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »

You were right!  I played last night and my skating was great!  It finally came back and I was flying out there.  Everything seemed to click. Now if I could only shoot the puck....

HR can can't perform miracles...  ;D .. I'm going back on the bball court sometime soon, I still probably can't jam.  :'(
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

rickrefs

• You tell me which one you would rather have
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
Any update?  I am 53 and gave up refing, playing two years ago due to pain.  My research has led me to BHR and I am fighting with my insurance TRICARE to cover the procedure.  Yes I am a veteran and coverage sucks.  I have dreams of running and playing hockey like I will never be able to do those things again.  The costs are the same for THR as for BHR.  So much for all the "thank you for your service" Bullcrap.

alay111

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »
I started playing ice and inline hockey in 2009 at the age of 46. Trained hard and made our national inline team (30+ age group) and went overseas in April 2011 to a tournament. Continuous groin issues led to xrays which led to osteoarthritis diagnosis and 2 months later I had bilateral BHR's. Back on skates 6 months later (Nov 2011). This year made our national team again (40+ age group this time around) for ice and inline. Speed and ROM down from 2011 but can still skate well. Couple of nhl players have had a BHR and also many coaches out there. I don't know about any other hip surgery options but if you are suitable then a BHR is the way to go if you want to still play active sports. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear