+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hamstring Issues  (Read 3824 times)

jgenese

Hamstring Issues
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
 I had my left BHR done in October of 2010 and since then my hamstring has been really tight. I try to stretch it out but still feels really tight. Is anyone experiencing this problem?

hernanu

Re: Hamstring Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »
I had mine done at about the same time. I don't have that problem, but have you tried physical therapy for it? It may be that there is scar tissue that hasn't released, or just that the muscle has to be brought back in some way.

I know you had psoas and bursa issues, have those cleared up for you? The hamstring I find is able to be stretched out if you take things slowly. It is a large muscle, so will take time to become limber. When I was teaching martial arts, I would tell the beginners that what they saw more experienced students do would take patience and time. A lot of that was based on stretching the hamstrings. Usually six months before they were reliably limber enough, and much of that was the hamstring.

PT and home stretching did it for me. Was your hamstring tight before the surgery?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:21:56 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »
The PT I'm seeing at the moment has given me specific exercises to do to help with stretching the hamstring.
I've noticed quite a difference over the last few weeks and its something I'll continue with on a regular basis. I'd definately get some advice from a Physio and also ask what you can do at home.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

happyhopper

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
I have hamstring and other muscular issues following my re-surfacing 3 years ago.  I stretch my hamstrings and following completing my regular exercise programme I feel looser, but this feeling does not last for long.  I tighten up again.  I had a number of muscular problems before surgery, which unfortunately were not diagnosed.  I thought I would do a few exercises after surgery and recover.
A few weeks ago one of Mr Treacy's patients posted a comment about muscular issues and I wonder how she is progressing?
I read about patients 'not doing too well after surgery' and wonder if anyone can explain any reasons for 'not doing well'.
My muscles at the front of my operated hip are also still tight and I regularly stretch these, but again they keep tightening up and feel sore following weight bearing exercise such as walking.
I wonder if muscles issues are more common in females?  Can anyone elaborate.
My left hip is now ready to be operated on and I wonder if I should be looking at a total hip rather than a re-surfacing. 
Any advise or information welcome.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
I think most of us had muscular problems before surgery, I know that I did. Have you tried any physical therapy?  I assume everything is fine with the implant, maybe it's something that a PT would help with, or if you have scar tissue that has not resolved, some techniques are available to help with that (massage, etc.).

I've found some light yoga to help quite a bit. I stay away from the more aggressive types, but fond that a nice half hour class does wonders.

Have you brought this up with Mr. Treacy? He may have some recommendations.

happyhopper

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »
Thanks for your info.
I have tried all types of physio and had a full assessment, which shows my right operated hip is OK strengthwise but Left hip weak.  My X--rays and metal ions are OK.
I was not operated on by Treacy but another surgeon who does not appear on this website's surgeon list.  As there were a number of issues with my surgeon who shall remain nameless I have not been back to him recently.  However other surgeons have commented the implant is 'satisfactory' - whatever that means.

tennisgirl

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
Hi Mike D,

Could you share the exercises you were instructed to do?  I think we would all like to know since it might help those with the same problem.

Cheers y'all,

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

jgenese

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
I have an appoinment with Dr. Marchand March 11th to check things out and then schedule some PT. My psoas and bursa are doing much better. I went for PT for about 6 months after my surgery in 2010 twice a week and even then my therapist was constantly trying to loosen my hamstring.
I'm just annoyed but at least the pain in my hip no longer exists. I'll give an update after my appointment

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
Good that those are better!

The hamstring is a long term project. I pulled / tore (still not sure which) my left hamstring kicking a heavy bag one time, it took me four months to get back to working out, another couple of months to get it loose enough again.

I was used to being loose, so give it some time and don't push it, tight larger muscles have to be babied into loosening up.

jgenese

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
Great advice and thanks for your awesome support! I will be patient and take it slowly.

jgenese

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
Well had my appointment with Dr. Marchands PA on Monday. X-rays show the implant looks great.
I explained my hamstring issue and he asked how the psoas tendon was doing since the injection in September 2011. I told him it was a whole lot better. He had me lie on my back and do a straight leg raise with him pushing down. I could only lift it a little without it hurting. He seemed very concerned with the psoas and I have since had a CT scan and bloodwork yesterday. The hamstring is his least concern at this point. I go back April 1 to see what I have to do. I have no idea what to expect at this point or what could be causing the pain.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat