+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: immune response to metal implants  (Read 6252 times)

mountaingoat

immune response to metal implants
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »
Ok, so I am wondering whether there has been much research or any done on how to regulate an immune system that seems to be reacting to a metal implant. So, assuming your cup angles and device are all perfect and that is not the reason for your reaction to your metal implant then would it be possible to treat the source of the problem, i.e. the faulty immune system? I'm assuming of course that someone more brilliant than myself would have already come up with this if it were possible but I just thought I would throw it out there as a topic. :o I would suspect that immunosuppressants wouldn't work because they can't be used indefinitely.

I know there are pharmaceuticals given to patients who have organ transplants to ensure that there body does not reject the implant. Theoretically then I wonder if there is a way to trick the immune system into not attacking the implant with an inflammatory response. Its a complicated issue for sure.

I've now heard from Dr. Pritchett and Dr. DeSmet that my implants look perfect - no visible problems at all so whatever is going on inside is purely a result of my immune system reacting to the metal and not any issue with the device being placed improperly. What puzzles me is that I test negative for all of the autoimmune-related markers like CRP, erthrosedimentation rate, rheumatoid factor, ANA, etc. I don't have Chrones disease or psoriasis or any of the classic autoimmune problems which would be more likely to lead to a metal sensitivity. I am not even allergic to ANYTHING and never have been! I am stumped as to why/how this could happen.

In any case, if there are any scholarly articles on this topic that you know of please let me know. I've done a preliminary google search but have only turned up a lot on the mechanism of the inflammatory response.

morph

Re: immune response to metal implants
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
Hi mountaingoat, Not read all your posts or responses so I appologise if there is something I have missed.

But could this be muscular/ligamnet pain due to muscle imbalance and incorrect posture and not metallosis? The only evidence you have is slightly high Cobalt (levels that no one really knows what is safe or not) and groin pain. No rash, fluid, sickness, dizzyness from a device that is in correctly. Bad posture could be causing loading on your device and muscluar pain due to constant strain. All the bones in a balanced body should stack on top of each other with little muscular support. If not the muscles and ligmaments support 24/7 and become VERY painfull.

I am no expert but just a thought. Forgive me if I have missed something.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat