+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 14 Months Post-OP RBHR Dr. Rogerson (Madison, WI)  (Read 2052 times)

jakemn

14 Months Post-OP RBHR Dr. Rogerson (Madison, WI)
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
  Been off the board for quite a while, so I figured it's time to post an update.  As the title says, 14 months ago Dr. Rogerson worked his magic on my right side.   I'm trying to remember the basic rehab sequence... I was doing elliptical work throughout the first 1 to 6 weeks, and swimming as soon as the scar healed.  At 6 months, I felt completely normal, with the possible exception of a bit of weakness in the front extenders (i.e. lifting the knee up to waist height).  Now, 14 months out, and after several months on weight training machines to improve the front of the hip strength, I'm much improved there.  Flexibility improvement is a joy, being able to touch my head and chest to my right knee again is a long-overdue feeling!  Jogging is no problem at all, except for the fact I am so out of shape after years of hip pain LOL!   I have refrained from resuming snow skiing or snowboarding so far, but that is only out of personal choice and precaution (i.e. I want to make sure the acetabular is fully integrated, etc.), and not because of any restriction from Dr. Rogerson (his protocol says full speed ahead at 6 months if you want).  There's always next winter.  This week I'm just laughing at the fresh batch of ambulance chasing lawyer advertisements trying to pass the Depuy device failures off as indicative of all MOM HR devices.   Any lost souls reading this and pondering a BHR solution, I say find a very experienced surgeon, even if it means travel, and go for it.  I have a friend who is about 40 who had THR at Mayo Clinic last fall, and is planning his next visit to Mayo to do his other side with THR this summer.   They fractured his femur in the first procedure, which not only pissed him off, but added 12 weeks to his rehab time.  I have a tough time talking hips with him any more.   I know he's going there for insurance reasons, but I'm just so completely satisfied with my outcome that I just want to grab him and shake some sense into him and say "what the hell are you thinking, man?  Go see Rogerson!".

Peace Ya'll

Jake in Minnesota
RBHR - Feb. 2012 - Dr. Rogerson - Madison, WI

hernanu

Re: 14 Months Post-OP RBHR Dr. Rogerson (Madison, WI)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
Great post Jake! Good to hear from you and that you are doing so well.

It is a great disservice in my opinion that so much of resurfacing has been tarred by the Depuy brush.

It means mostly the people who are confident enough to listen to a (Mayo clinic?) reputable surgeon and still go past his or her "HR is dangerous" talk to fully evaluate HRs are profiting from the benefits of resurfacing. It doesn't mean that HR is for everyone, but it should be in the mix without unwarranted slagging, depriving people who may need it but are dependent on a surgeon who may not be objective.

<off soapbox>

Sounds like you've handled your recovery right. I think a lot of folks who are researching things will benefit from posts just like yours.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Manofword

Re: 14 Months Post-OP RBHR Dr. Rogerson (Madison, WI)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:09:55 AM »
Excellent report, Jake! Glad things are going as well as expected and even better. I'm sure your conservative approach will work well for you. You know your body better than anyone. Like you I did my research and just happened to have a Dr. (Brooks) who has done over 1500 BHR's since 2006. If I couldn't get one of the best, I wasn't going to get it done. You're 14 mos and I'm 14+ weeks and I couldn't be happier....well, I guess I could if I could do everything that I wanted to right now, but other than that, I'm a happy camper! May your athletic adventures be blessed and pain free!
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat