+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How were you put back together, staples, stitches or glue?  (Read 5304 times)

kimberly52

How were you put back together, staples, stitches or glue?
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
I am curious because a friend of mine had her hip done by Su a few weeks before me. When she asked me about my staples I told her that I had none.  She was very surprised and curious about just what is holding me together.

I was told that I have internal dissolvable stitches and that they also used some sort of glue on me.  Basically all I have are a bunch of butterflies that they said would eventually fall off. I had my 10 -day checkup today and they said the site looked good so I am not worried at all.

So my question is, what held your incision together?  Staples, stitches, or something like I have.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:00:31 PM by Pat Walter »
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

maxx6789

Re: How were you pit back together?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
i was happy to see that i had just glue both times. my non-medical assumption is that this depends partly on the surgeon, the hospital, and your body (meaning how well, easy the wound is to close up).
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Miguelito

Re: How were you put back together, staples, stitches or glue?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »
I had the glue, and I would guess some form of dissolvable stitches inside there, but I don't recall for sure. No stitches to remove, but the glue was a beast and resisted any attempts to hurry it along.
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

kimberly52

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
I was very happy not to get either staples or stitches.  Had them for abdominal surgery years ago and they are very uncomfortable not to metion tend to get pretty itchy about a week out.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
I had different methods for my two.

The first was glue and butterfly strips, which did fall off eventually - the first scared the hell out of me - I thought the incision opened at first. It was bandaged with regular bandages that needed to be changed every day, I also had drain incisions that needed to be bandaged. I was not able to shower for about a week, until it healed enough.

The second was just glue and the incredible thin silver bandage, it was very thin and did not need changing for the week I had it on. I was able to take showers from the start, as long as I was careful not to soak it. Once it came off everything had healed well and my incision had healed very well.

I was very impressed with that bandage.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »
Hernanu is right, the glue is such a great improvement. My incision never had any bandage whatsoever and was just the translucent glue. You really had to look closely to see it.

I was nervous on the first day bending and flexing during PT but the nurse said not to worry because she has never heard of a glued incision opening up. Plus, I never had to worry about the staples or stitches catching on clothing either.

Between two and three weeks it slowly came off at the areas that were healed. No return trip to have staples removed.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

kimberly52

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
When I asked if I could get it wet in the shower they told my husband to get "Press 'n Seal".  My poor husband went to all of the drug stores to no avail.  Finally a day later I discovered that he had no idea that is was in the grocery store platic wrap isle. Haha!

Anyway, I tear a piece off and slap it,over the incision and am able to shower without soaking the site.  Pretty cool suggestion they gave me.   :)

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
Staples on my first and glue with a big waterproof bandage for second.  The glue was so much better and the scar looks better sooner.  I also used the "Press N Seal" plastic wrap after I took of the bandage for the shower.

Also on my second they wrapped my thigh/hip area with Ace Bandage for 3 days.  I had very little bruising and it made my leg feel better during the first couple of days compared to my first hip done 5 years ago.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
I had glue and butterfly strips that fell off after a couple weeks.   I used a transparent "duo derm" (I think) clear huge dressing that covered the wound and sealed the edges for showering, the saran wrap didn't work well. 

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

kimberly52

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »
Bill,
I had the leg wrap too from my foot to my thigh and my swelling we minimal.  I was told that was because I was wrapped.  Only swelling left is that gross incisional bump. :-\

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

RobinK

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
Staples on my first and glue with a big waterproof bandage for second.  The glue was so much better and the scar looks better sooner.

How interesting! I had the same doc, same hospital as fenceman/Bill, two months after his surgery, and I had staples and a waterproof bandage. I guess it's more than just doctor preference; it must be somewhat patient-specific?
R-BHR - Feb 2013 - Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital

kimberly52

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
Yes. That is interesting and does sound like it is patient specific.  I am going to ask my doc about that at my 6-week appt just out of curiosity.  :D
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

PattyM

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »
I had glue both times and used press and seal wrap to keep site dry when i  showered
had to keep it dry for 3 weeks.
Both incisions look great except when It's time for bikinis!!
Oh well!
Patty
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

kimberly52

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Yeah, I heard/read that someone suggested if the scar show at the beach so tell a tale of a shark bite. Haha!

When did you have yours done Patty?
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

kimberly52

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
Oops! Scratch that question. I see your tag now.  :)
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

PattyM

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
I did find a a cute bikini bottom at target that has a short skirt that covers the scar.
I got one. I know I should be showing off my scar like some sort of "Badge" but now I have both sides.
Anyway we still need to look great in a bikini!!
Patty
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

kimberly52

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
There is this stuff called Bio Oil that is supposed to be effective is reducing scars.  I started using it on this horrible furrow on my forehead a few months ago and I do see improvement. I am not  sure if it is the Bio Oil or the fact that I am getting a lot of rest and no job stress on disability.  Regardless, when allowed I will start using it on my scar in the hopes that it helps.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

John C

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
One argument for glue is that some studies have showed an increased risk of infection with staples, since they are essentially fairly large penetrations of the skin that provide a pathway for bacteria.
For those that found that the same surgeon had different methods of closure over a fairly close time frame, I have to wonder if they may have had someone else do the closing after the main part of the surgery, and different assistants might have different preferred ways of closing. Obviously I don't have any idea if this is true, but it might be a logical explanation for the differences.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

kimberly52

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
Interesting opinion.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM