+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Road Bikers Out There?  (Read 6402 times)

kimberly52

Any Road Bikers Out There?
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:28:07 AM »
Well I was an avid runner and road biker before my hip went to pot.  I have had much time during recuperation to read about post op running and have decided that I am going to hang up my running shoes and focus on more cycling, kayaking, and hiking.  I haven't ran in a year and see that it will most likely be another year post op before I could start again.  With that, cycling would be much more gentle and also allow me to enjoy it much sooner.

So my question is how long should I wait until I get back on the bike?  What about falling off the bike?  I thought I would reintroduce myself in my mountain bike on paved roads because it is much more stable than my road bike as well as my feet won't be clipped in.

I have a gym membership and can actually start on the stationary bike but don't know when is a good time.  At this point in time, I am still experiencing much groin pain and ask if I should start although I am having pain or should I wait for it to subside?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions/advice.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Marco Polo

Re: Any Road Bikers Out There?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
Kim:  Dr. Su's protocol is that you use a stationary bike without resistance as soon as you can comfortably get on the bike.  He feels it is good for hip joint mobility.  I am 3 weeks post op and started using one a few days ago.  I raised the seat so I don't break 90 degrees (my doc's protocol) while I pedal.  I have been doing this 10 minutes at a time, plus walking on the treadmill at a slow pace 20 minutes at a time focusing on smooth strides.  It has been working well for me so far and provides a welcome alternative to walking on 1 crutch.

Regarding the timing, I think you could try the bike and see if it helps with your groin pain.  If it aggravates it, I would back off and wait until you can do it without pain.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:37:03 AM by Marco Polo »
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

mustang4172

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
Hi Kim-

I too am an avid road cyclist.  I'm almost 4 mos. post-op from my bilateral performed by Dr. Su.  I started stationary bike right after my one month checkup as part of my 3 days-a-week PT (at a sports rehab facility, supervised by therapists) sessions.  I did about 10-15 mins on the bike each session followed by strengthening (fitness ball squats against a wall, step-ups on an 12 in. platform, single-leg raises) and then stretching (hamstring, quad, hip flexors).  I progressed to add in other hip exercises using a 'hip machine' during the 6 weeks of organized PT.  At this point I'm back to doing 2-3 mile hikes (with my trusted Golden Retriever, Sully) and I'm back to spin classes (taking it easy, low resistance, and staying mainly in seated position).  I make sure that I always follow up spinning with the recommended stretches.  Post-spinning, the hips are really feeling pretty darn good.  I'm not having any pain while spinning.

I'm planning on getting back on my road bike this weekend, but I'll do flat rides in a low gear.  Of course, falls are a concern, so I'll be very conscious of taking it easy.

So, I'd say to wait at least until you've gotten past the groin pain and have your 'cycling strength' back before you venture out on the roads.

Hope this helps....good luck.

Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

stephen1254

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »
My doctor let me loose on the stationary bike at 2 weeks, and I think that greatly helped my recovery. I started with no resistance and about 10 minutes, and gradually increased time and resistance.

I started on the road bike at 7 weeks, on a flat route, and gradually increased mileage and difficulty. I used clip-in pedal from the start with no issues. I don't recall the exact progression but I was riding the most difficult climbs in the Lake Tahoe area by the end of the summer, at about 6 months, with no pain and no stiffness.

I did not ride my mountain bike - in the mountains - until one year, because of fear of falling and damaging the hip. I am just getting back into that, at roughly 13 months.

While walking is the exercise everyone starts with, for good reason, biking seemed to be the biggest single factor in the speed of recovery. The idea of the mountain bike on the street with non-clip in pedals is a good way to start.

The only thing I would caution you on is pain. It is important to distinguish between ordinary fatigue from exertion and pain. You want the former, you definitely do not want the latter. The good news is the pain will go away, and fairly quickly in the overall scheme of things, so if it hurts a bit one week it will likely be much less painful the next week.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

kimberly52

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback.  It sounds to me that the bike is the way to go to hasten recovery.  I will plan on the stationary bike at the gym next week with no resistance to start with.  Probably continue that way until I get to outpatient PT in May. Right  now I have a PT guy come to the home 3x week. Lose him and go to regular PT once hip precautions are lifted May 4th.

It will feel good to get back to the gym.  Probably will,do light upper body weights while there.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

dwbitt

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
Hi Kim,

I can second all of the above. I got on my trainer after about a week, no resistance and no bike shoe to worry about unclipping. I didn't yet have the range of motion to get down on the bars but it felt good to pedal.

I was feeling pretty good at one month and ventured outside on my road bike for an easy 30 minutes, no complications at all.
The biggest concern is a crash, the first 6 months is critical for the Femoral Neck to regain it's pre-op strength, a fall could be catastrophic. I don't mountain bike since falling is pretty common, at least the way I rode ;)

Regards,
Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat