+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running after resurfacing revision to THR  (Read 1628 times)

Canadian-Ice

Running after resurfacing revision to THR
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Okay, since the mini hip topic came up, and since so many people run on resurfaced hips (and THRs nowadays it seems), I wondered about the propects post-revision.  Revision may never ever be needed but just wondering.

Anyone heard of running on a revision, second hip?

There's hardly any resurfacing revisions so just wondering about second THRs as well, if anyone has any information.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:00:05 PM by Canadian-Ice »

John C

Re: Running after resurfacing revision to THR
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »
No specific data to pass on, but I think the first big factor is whether it is a revision from a THR, or a revision from an HR which would essentially make it closer to a first time THR though some studies show it being not quite as good..
Due to the failure rates of revisions in general, I would be very cautious about running on a revision form a  THR. I have a memory of reading somewhere that first time THRs and HRs usually have survival rates in the 90s at ten years, whereas revision survival rates drop down into the 70s. Second time revisions (meaning third time around) have very high complication rates, and is not a good place to be. As much as I love being active on my resurfacing, I think that I would feel the need to cut back a bit if I had a revision from it, and I would cut back a lot if I had a revision from a THR. The success rates just start getting too low, and the complication rates start getting too high at that point.
From personal experience I only know four athletic people who have had revisions of THRs, and all four went on to second revisions within just a few years. Three of these guys are no longer athletically active, and the fourth is looking at another revision soon.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »
Hi John, very useful information. Second time revision bad and to be avoided at all costs, it seems. I'd probably give up impact sports completely if resurfacing needed revision to THR, aside maybe from specific social events or emergencies.  Non-impact sports might even need to be limited somewhat at that point but still workout everyday. Maybe that would be a good guideline.

Technology improves, but, bone grafts are bone grafts. Can't imagine any way to enhance acetabular fixation after bone grafts in future.

Edit: I take that back. There is information at the HSS that a medication is being developed to counteract the enzymes that eat away at fixation. Course, 20 years away.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:31:18 AM by Canadian-Ice »

Tim Bratten

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »
I'm about 15 months post revision and typically go for a couple of brisk hikes (around 6 miles each) per week. Sometimes I jog a bit on these hikes and I feel quite capable of running longer distances but I'm resisting the temptation so far. Meanwhile I'm rock climbing and bouldering about as well as any point in the past five years. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:38:59 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz