+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Go to the end of the line please.....  (Read 1753 times)

MikeF

Go to the end of the line please.....
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
Just called to schedule an appointment with my prospective surgeon for HR and was told he's booked through July with appointments. I was aked if I wanted to see a PA as it would be sooner. There's no point in that......I'm ready for surgery. So, now I have to call his secretary tomorrow and see if she'll get me in sooner since I indicated I'm looking for surgery.... ASAP.
How long have you all waited for your resurfacing once it was scheduled??

I think I spent to much time wondering if I was ready.....now the line is too long.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Go to the end of the line please.....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
Hi Mike and welcome. Who is your prospective surgeon? A great surgeon is worth a wait!  :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
Hey Mike, I waited about three months for my first. It sounds trite, but the time does fly; we've had many hippies who've had their surgery rescheduled, etc.

It comes, though. You might put yourself on the list in case there is a cancellation.

In the meanwhile, you can prepare for it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

MikeF

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Our guy in Rochester is Dr. Chris Drinkwater.  He's done 700+, maybe more. I know a patient of his who had HR a few years ago and he plays lacrosse twice a week. He also teaches a spin class at the health club I attend.  He's doing quite well and speaks highly of the procedure.
So, maybe this is a good thing in the long run.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Hern is right time will fly by!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

kimberly52

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Hi Mike,

Glad to see that you have made your selection.  I originally scheduled in January and was slotted for July 17th.  Then I got lucky when I called and asked to be put on a cancellation list.

Within a week they called me with the April 6th date not due to a cancellation but because he opened up Saturday surgeries.

However, they do have cancellation lists and if your schedule is flexible, you may want to ask about a cancellation list.  You would want to inquire with the surgery scheduler to do something like this.

Good luck.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »
Mike, go ahead and get in line.  As others have said, there will probably be cancellations and you'll move up.  If not, now you'll be ready to prepare yourself; get to the gym and work on your core and upper body and walk as much as you can.  The more you can do now, the easier your recovery will be
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

packman

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
When you are convinced like it sounds you are, get in the line ASAP. Thank your lucky stars for the short wait in the U.S. In Canada the wait is at least 10-13 months for this elective surgery and that is why I paid the cost, sucked it up and went to the U.S. for more experienced surgeons.
Our govt. funded fully paid by public insurance emplyment contributions, is fantastic for having babies and threatening surgeries such as heart etc., because they are no cost to the patient but was terrible for my case.
I am coming up to the critical 6 weeks post-op surgery xray / physio report this week, and I can definitely feel my quality of activities coming back in the months to come.
The biggest challenge as hernanu and others have put it, is to let the bone structure heal before pushing the related hip muscles/activities. I feel great and want to do more but have seen the yellow flag.
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

MikeF

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:21 AM »
Great advice from everyone.......especially Woodstock's.  I called my surgeons' secretary this morning and got an appointment to see him on May 23rd. He's scheduling surgeries through June right now so if this all goes as I hope, I could get in this summer for the HR.
He operates three days a week so I'm optimistic.

Thanks all for your input. 

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »
Pritchett was about 2 months out for both of mine and I think that's a pretty standard wait for him.  Interesting about the different wait times.

Like others said, I think it will go pretty fast.  It might seem like a big wait, but once you're done with it and recovering, you won't even be thinking about how long it took to get there.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat