+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: SCFE Patients  (Read 1662 times)

Michigan97

SCFE Patients
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
I am a SCFE patient with hip pain....has he BHR been the most common solution for former SCFE patients?

Has anyone heard the latest on cartilage restoration or transplantation?

Thanks for your advice!

Dannywayoflife

Re: SCFE Patients
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:41:13 AM »
Hi mate and welcome! Sorry mate can't comment on SCFE but the standard advice that is given on here is go see a TOP surgeon(preferably get several opinions from Top surgeons).

As to the stem cell and regeneration stuff. I think generally its accepted that its a fairly long way off. There's others who will probably claim other wise but as far as I'm aware non of the experimental stuff is peer reviewed.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
There was a discussion about cartilage growth awhile back.  Here is a post from  John explaining that it did not work.  It works well in horses and dogs, but not in humans.  We would all have opted for that if it were FDA approved and successful. Who would opt for surgery if there were another option.  Perhaps in time, but not now.

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/regenerative-medicine-hip-injections-versus-mini-hip-versus-resurfacing/msg44466/#msg44466

Here's the beginning of the conversation:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/regenerative-medicine-hip-injections-versus-mini-hip-versus-resurfacing/msg44466/#msg44466

Pat
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:30:37 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Michigan97

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
There is always hope for non-metal replacement in surgery.  On one hand,  the problem is being solved since the mobility is back and the pain is gone. On the other hand, the solution hasn't really been found since we are not solving the issue of cartilage damage or bone deterioration.  All that is being done is replacing the natural joint with an artificial piece.  Having said that, time is a wasting and getting back to normal activities seems to take precedent.  It seems as if Dr. Della Valle is highly recommended with bone-conserving techniques, something I am seeking.

How long have SCFE patients held out before a BHR?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat