+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hiking  (Read 1645 times)

claudia

Hiking
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
I just can't fathom being able to hike on something other that flat terrain again. 
I am so looking forward to hiking and I want to plan a hike for a few months out from my surgery in June.  My question is  - at what point, if my recuperation is average, and my general overall condition is pretty good, would I be able to handle moderate inclinations on a trail?
How would I train for inclines while i am healing from surgery. 
I am thinking that knee issues might pop up since I haven't normally hiked a trail in sometime.
(I've hiked using the "two step" method of climbing - sort of like I go up stairs or a ladder).
I'm thinking September or October?  Or is that unreasonable?
Thanks!
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Marco Polo

Re: Hiking
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
Claudia:

As has been repeated numerous times on this Board, everyone recovers at a different rate.  That being said, I feel three months post -op would be pretty safe.  (I am at 8 weeks right now and feel I could do moderate hiking.)

I recommend buying some good trekking poles. They will help considerably.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:34:12 PM by Marco Polo »
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

claudia

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »
Yep - I have some awesome trekking poles that I used even before my hip went bad.  The shok-absorbing type.  Dr. Gross even suggested that in lieu of a cane I could use a pole after i was off the crutches.   
I was thinking that 3 months out would be good - give a month or two.  I am more worried about my knee on the side of the bad hip.
Curious if anyone has done any hiking on the Appalachian Trail post hip resurfacing (the southern part between Virginia and georgia). 
Thanks!
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »
And good hiking shoes. I got into a bit of trouble on my second when I used some not so great shoes and developed pain in the middle of my foot.

It turned out that I was putting too much stress on the middle of the foot when walking (bad mechanics, as my podiatrist showed me). The podiatrist, who seemed excited to see something new, showed me a slight thickening of the bone at the joint in the middle toe of my left (supporting) foot due to the extra stress. Apparently we're supposed to put most of the weight on the outside and inside of the foot.

He repeated that it was a result of improper walking technique, prescribed good shoes and inserts. It took a few months to eliminate the pain, the area is still a little stiff (nowhere near problematic though), and will work itself out, but it was something I couldn't have fathomed.

I did buy some hiking boots with good support, inserts for all of my shoes, and replaced my work shoes with some suggested shoes.

I bought a pair of Clark's shoes, Merrell Jungle mocs relaxed shoes, Hi Tec Men's Altitude IV hiking boots. For inserts, I used the Spenco Polysorb Total support, which have been great. I even got the Spenco flip flops (Polysorb Total Support Sandals), since I spend a lot of the summer in those. I'm sure you can find the same or better on other brands, but those worked for me and kept my podiatrist off my back.

I wasn't taking chances again. The pain subsided, but having spent so much effort in recuperating from the hips, it ticked me off that I had neglected the most basic thing that I should have remembered: good footwear.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
Dr. Su gave me the full go ahead to everything, except run, at 3 months.  Check with your doctor.  I hiked up a mountain with a friend at that point.  Enjoy your new hip!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

mustang4172

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Claudia-

I had the bilateral procedure on 12/31/2012.  Almost two months later, I did some short (1-1.5) mile hikes on packed snow trails in Vt. (my family skied and I hiked trails with my dog).  I took it easy on the ascents and descents (I had traction treads on my hiking shoes) but I felt pretty good.  About one month later I was back in Vt. on the same trails, only this time with snowshoes and poles.  I felt a lot stronger at 3mos. (I'd been doing 3x week PT up to that trip) and really didn't have any pain with moderate climbs.  So, if you feel good in September, I'd test the waters with some short hikes and increase as you feel stronger.

Good luck!
Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

John C

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »
Hi Claudia,
Another Dr Gross hippy here, now about five years out. I was hiking a lot of hills on smooth paths by three months, and doing long hikes on mountain trails by five months. Four hours was about my comfort limit for about one year.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

kimberly52

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:24:57 AM »
Hi Claudia,

I was doing groomed trails up in the Adirondacks at 5 weeks and used my cane about 1/2 mile at a time.  I just had my 6-week check up with Dr. Clarke a few days ago and he is okay now with a few miles at this stage of the game, no more than 3-4 until I return for the 6-month check up.  The one thing he said was not to wear a pack.

I will return to the daks and this time use my hiking poles and have hubby carry my daypack.

Enjoy your outings!

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz