+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Returning to backcountry boarding...  (Read 10274 times)

don_markos

Returning to backcountry boarding...
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:30:20 AM »
Resurfacing the left hip on June 7th 2013 (next week :o)... My goal is to ride next season. Dr. Mayman at HSS says it's a probable "go" if all goes as planned. I imagine next season will be toned down and a bit and I'll ride more gingerly but am looking to return to my aggressive backcountry status in 2015. Has anyone pushed theirs that far yet?

Thanks,

Mark

PS- Probably asking for trouble but I need to know what's possible.

evant

Re: Returning to backcountry boarding...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:47:19 AM »
Good luck for 7th June.

I understand the HSS is a recognised centre of excellence so you're in safe hands.

I'm sure someone will reply regarding your particular sport.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »
Good luck Mark, the HSS has a good reputation. I know several folks here have gone back to snowboarding. I'm sure they'll check in.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jon

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
Mark:

Had my BHR done 12/11.

Surfing was first at about 7-8 months. Started to run at abt 10 months. Skiing was next at about 14 months and it went really well.  Have only remained really cautious with running as it was my gateway drug! Sticking to less than 15 miles per week though did two five-milers this weekend and it felt great.  I'm finding that building strength back is my biggest requirement. My right side atrophied from 2004 until surgery.

I think you will be very happy with the results...
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

John C

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
Though it is skiing for me and not boarding, I did get back into backcountry riding. My annual heli-trip to Canada would have been six months post surgery, and I passed on that trip since I did not feel ready. I did heli up in Canada at 10 months. It went very well, but I was pretty conservative in terms of air time. After one year, I was back to my annual heli trips up there along with some cat trips, and feel very comfortable with everything backcountry, including small to medium drops (up to about 15', anything bigger and my 62 year old body just says no). I think that you will do fine at getting into backcountry riding, but take it easy for the first year, and after that you might want to be smart about any sketchy landings.
Good luck with your surgery.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

don_markos

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
thanks guys.. I'm super siked for this! John... you're my hero! Now I'm anxious to do it and get back out there. Hope I can share and pay it forward reporting from snow orbit next season. Jon- def will be surfing first, this fall out East... thanks for sharing!

Jon

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
Mark:

Good luck this week with everything and looking fwd to hearing the report.  Will go great at HSS.

No waves this weekend so just boogie boarding with my kids.  Did run over 20 miles for the week so this stuff works great!

That's cool stuff John C is up to.  Love to hear about the drops...

After this week, you'll be back shredding soon...

Jon

John C

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:29:48 AM »
Jon said that it would be fun to hear about the drops, so pictures being worth a thousand words, I thought that it would be more fun to just post some pictures of some cliff drops from my younger days (much more fun than posting pics of my current smaller drops). I am posting links to the pics on the Flickr site, so hope this works.

Jon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »
Can't view the pictures...

Just me or anyone else?

Anna

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:45:49 AM »
Good luck on the op Mark!!! Not long to go ......

You will be back having fun in no time by the sounds of it. Although I cant see John's pictures either, I believe what he is saying!!  ;D Im hopefully having a THR and no one will be able to stop me from going back to skiing and boarding .... although I will probably be taking things a lot more cautiously.

Please keep us posted re your progress

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

John C

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »
Sorry for the confusion with the pictures. If you right click on the little icons and then click on a choice that opens the image, the Flickr site should open up with the picture on screen. Hope this helps.

don_markos

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
Hey!!! 5 days post OP and feeling amazing!!!! Spoke to a few PT's that think the fixed stance of a snowboard may actually be safer than skiing :). Explained my level and they say stay away from direct impact/ hard landings (obviously), so need to check those pow landings prior to take off??? sometimes not possible. Will try to stick to big dump days and Heli only (what a life :)). Can't wait for Chamonix for my recovery celebration in 2014!!! Super siked my snow culture brothers and sisters!!! Photos coming next season...

Mark

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat