+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Doing push-ups  (Read 6937 times)

Runnerboy71

Doing push-ups
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
Hey everyone I just had my left hip resurfaced almost 6 weeks ago. I saw a post on people planking about 8 weeks post-op. I was wondering if anyone knew how soon it'd be okay to do push-up? Do they put weight on your hips or no?

Arrojo

Re: Doing push-ups
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
6 weeks sounds about right for when I started.  Double check with your surgeon.  I wanted to do pullups too, but the concern was landing on the floor after completing them, so those had to wait.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Ken B

Re: Doing push-ups
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
I know this thread is a bit dated but this subject came up for me recently. At 9 weeks (two weeks ago) I started to experiment with calisthenics like pushups, pullups, L-sits, and related movements. I've mostly been modifying the pushup movement to take some pressure off the hip area like staying on the ground from the waste down, supporting the operated leg with the non op leg, or just leaving the operated leg elevated during the movement.

Based on the planking thread you mentioned and the general consensus of avoiding high impact and the lifting/carrying of weights more than 50 lbs at this stage of recovery it seems this activity falls in the safe zone. The hip stabilizer muscles definitely get worked on the pushup and L-sit movements so its good to take note when soreness sets in.

I was actually planning on getting some 90 lb adjustable dumbbells at some point but discovering the benefits of calisthenics, bodyweight training, and focusing on closed kinetic chain movements has changed my mind on that. Hard to believe because I used to be such a weight room junkie but between time saved, money saved, possible additional wear and tear on the hip saved, and the giant world of serious strength/bodymass benefits of bodyweight training I've discovered during this recovery period I think this will be the way to go for me.
RBHR 09/15/14 - Dr. Schmalzried

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat