+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Delta Motion hip replacement- any US doctors doing this?  (Read 10708 times)

Betzi

Delta Motion hip replacement- any US doctors doing this?
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »
Hello, I'm new here as of today. I'm scheduled for a standard THR, but am researching alternatives. I have osteoarthritis in my left hip, started from a labral tear 13 years ago. I am a 60 yo woman, 5'1.5", 110 lbs, osteopenic with T score of -1.4.
I sent emails to Bose, Smet and Gross inquiring as to whether my T score makes me a bad candidate for BHR. Bose replied that it is my physical size (and likely gender) that makes me a bad candidate and that a delta motion hip replacement is what he recommends. Gross replied that I am a good candidate for BHR.
My questions:
Are there an US surgeons implanting the delta motion hip? All I can find is surgeons abroad, especially in India.
Does anyone have a similar story as mine and what did you do?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Delta Motion hip replacement- any US doctors doing this?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear you have hip problems.  The Delta Motion hip device is not FDA approved in the US as far as I can tell.

Here is the FDA page about the current trials and they are all overseas

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01635166

If you want a hip resurfacing, you can try a few of the other US surgeons.  If Dr. Gross feels you are a candidate, then probably there are others.  Dr. Gross uses the cementless Biomet hip device, not the BHR.

Other surgeons like Dr. Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Kusuma of Grant Hospital in Columbus OH, Dr. Rogerson of WI and some others might be good to contact.  Dr. Pritchett  is pro hip resurfacing and uses a metal on poly device.

I would look a little further if you have time.  I have seen McMinn, De Smet, Bose and Gross all disagree on whether they would give a specific patient a hip resurfacing or not.  The top surgeons will do what they feel comfortable with because they just don't want patients to have problems.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Betzi

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
Smet's response: "Being small with Conserve plus resurfacing is no issue!! With BHR it can be."

This is all very complicated...  finding the right procedure/apparatus and the well qualified surgeon that works that procedure/apparatus.

It would be useful, perhaps, to indicate in the doctors section which procedures and apparatus they work with.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules to be honest. The key for you is to get the opinions of as many of the TOP surgeon you can and go with the one that feels right for you.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
Betzi, I think it's great you're doing the research. I know that there are some smaller boned women here who had work done and are satisfied. There are specifically some Dr. Gross patients who I'm sure will chime in as well.

I am prejudiced. I've had great success with two hip resurfacing implants and would highly recommend it. If one of the best surgeons in this procedure gave you the thumbs up, I'd be highly encouraged.

Keep researching, my two cents is that you go with resurfacing if at all feasible.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Betzi

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
I am completely sold on HR vs THR. I now need to tease out  which is the correct HR procedure  for my size.
Gross is fine with performing BHR. I plan to call his clinic on Mon.
Bose says BHR is inappropriate... better to go with delta motion HR... I'm not going to India.
Smet also says BHR is inappropriate, and Conserve Plus is the way to go. Amstutz (LA) works with Conserve Plus. I've requested their consultation packet to be sent.
Does anyone have any other ideas to throw into my hopper? Does anyone have reports on Gross/BHR vs Amstutz/Conserve Plus?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
Betzi

I wanted to tell you again that Dr. Gross uses the Cementless Biomet hip resurfacing device.  He does not use the BHR - Birmingham hip resurfacing device.  I am assuming he told you that you are a hip resurfacing candidate, not a BHR candidate.  He use to use the Cormet, but that was many years ago.

I just wanted you to understand what device he uses.

The reason De Smet probably says Conserve plus is because the sizes are different than the BHR and he will more often use the conserve plus these days.  The surgeons will try to match your physical needs with the most appropriate hip device.  Most don't use more than one device, but Dr. De Smet does.

Just wanted to bring you up to speed on the devices.  The BHR, Cormet and Conserve Plus are all FDA approved as full devices.  The Biomet is used off label since only the components are FDA approved and it is not FDA approved as a device.  Dr. Gross explains that here

http://www.surfacehippy.info/fdaapproval.php  Read below the list of FDA approved devices.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Betzi

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Pat.
So now I'm focusing on learning which might be better for me: Conserve Plus or Cementless Biomet.
And re: surgeons... I get a good feel re: Gross based on posts.
I don't much of an opinion yet re: Amstutz.

Marco Polo

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
When I was considering having Dr. Gross do my resurfacing earlier this spring he was offering his patients a choice between the Biomet Recap and Conserve Plus, both uncemented.  It would be worth confirming if this is still the case.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Betzi

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:09:30 PM »
Gross didn't recommend a particular device for me, rather just let me know that resurfacing is a definite option, despite my being a small woman.

Marco Polo- What did you have done and by whom?

Marco Polo

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
I had a BHR by Dr. Della Valle in Chicago.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal