+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: HEAVY LEG PRESSES AFTER HIP RESURFACING  (Read 18361 times)

DMCCREIGHT

HEAVY LEG PRESSES AFTER HIP RESURFACING
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »
Is there anyone out there that is a weight lifter that can tell me when and what kind of weight training they are able to do after the hip resurfacing procedure??  Mainly the lower body workouts.

thanks,
deb
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:18:53 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: HEAVY LEG PRESSES AFTER HIP RESURFACING
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:37:39 PM »
Hi Deb

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I know there were one or two people doing serious weight lifting.  I hope someone will answer you.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »
Hi Deb,

I can't respond to your question....yet.   My surgery is scheduled for June 26th. I'm currently still weight training and cycling daily. Leg presses, walking lunges and modified squats. My goal is to get back into cycling first, upper body weights then finally lower body. I'll keep you posted on the recovery. I'm trying to maintain a high degree of fitness prior to surgery which hopefully will facilitate recovery.

take care,

spencer

john

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »
I had my first hip done in mid December and by May, when I had my other hip done, I was back to doing squats with full body weight plus 10 pounds and working out like normal on the elliptical machine. The way I was progressing I figure I could have been back to doing all my leg work like I had been up till surgery. I think sticking with the workouts up till surgery really helped with my recovery. I'll keep you posted on how I do this time around. Seems to be about the same trajectory as last time but I'm only one month out so I've got a ways to go. One thing I will say is don't jump back in too fast with too much weight, and what you think you can do- cut that in half.

DMCCREIGHT

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »
Hey Spencer and John and any other weightlifter.... What's the prognosis on your lower body weight training after HR??  I am anxious to find out!!

thanks,
deb

sroberts

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
Hi Deb!

How are you doing? I am 5 months post op and I can leg press 360-400lbs, walking lunge w/ a 45lb plate held overhead and can deadlift 135-150lbs (light, but for 20+ reps). I have only been doing light squats 135lbs for high reps and not going too deep (90 degrees). I still do air squats (no weight--for really high reps). Start out light and go for perfect form. Seated leg extension and leg flexion are the easiest to perform when starting out.

I started weight training about 2 months ago very, very easy and very, very slow. Get your doc's approval first. The only thing I noticed is the lack of stability and strength of your operated side. It improves with every workout, just know when to rest and don't do legs more than 2x/wk.

take care,

spencer

DMCCREIGHT

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »
Great news for me to hear!!  I'm glad that you are doing well and staying active!!  Who did your hip?? 

Have a great day!!
deb

sroberts

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »
Deb,

I sent you an email. Dr Rogerson did my RBHR 6/26/08

spencer

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:32:56 PM »
Hey Spencer - Sounds like you're doing great. I've been on the rowing machine (too late in the season to get on the water) and doing some weights. The high end strength (power) is slowly coming back. Flexibility is mostly there. Pain is absolutely gone. Amazing.
I had a lot to be thankful for at Thanksgiving.
Cheers - Tom

sroberts

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »
Hey Tom,

Good to hear from you! Glad to hear you are also doing great. Are you cranking out some intervals on the "erg"? You're "right on" regarding being thankful.

take care,

spencer

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »
BE CAREFUL with heavy leg presses.  My Dr. had a patient that started doing heavy leg presses 3-4 months after surgery against his recommendations.  He snapped his femur head below the cap and eventually had to have a THR.  He said the neck is weak after surgery and it takes 6 months to a year to strengthen.  The patient said there was very little pain or warning before it broke. 
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

sroberts

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
Hi Fenceman,

You're absolutely right. Starting out light is the way to go. No need to take unnecessary risks.

take care,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat