+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Exersize Question  (Read 1695 times)

bestbob

Exersize Question
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
Hello Everyone, I am 21 days post RBHR and all is well as far as I can tell. The question I have has to do with a throbbing pain that occurs every 15 seconds on my operated hip. Here is the scenario, the incision is on the side of the hip (direct lateral trans-gluteal approach), and directly under the end (bottom) of the incision a throbbing pain to the knee occurs every 15 seconds. It also feels like there is a muscle in that general area as I can feel a tightness/band from the incision down to knee. Maybe it's the IT band? During the day it's not that bad, but at night it is difficult to sleep.  The question is, is there a specific exercise that can be done to relieve the tightness/reduce pain, or do I just have to wait for this to heal itself?

Hopefully I explained myself in a manner that can be understood.

Feedback welcomed.

Thanks All,

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

hernanu

Re: Exersize Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
It's probably your IT band, Bob. You might be getting muscle spasms. I'd touch base with your surgeon's office if it persists. Sounds muscular, right in the IT area.

Is the incision fully healed? That is when my PT started to LIGHTLY massage my incision and IT band area to avoid scar tissue from forming (as much as possible).

You could try some light massage on the IT band. Also muscle spasms can be helped with some hydration - maybe step up your water consumption a bit.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lauren Lee

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
I have those too. PT does gentle long continuous strokes from just below incision to knee. At home I use a rolling pin. Works for me.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies Lauren and Hern. I do remember Lauren that you commented on this in a prior post, didn't think it was the same thing though. Will try massaging/roller, and step up hydration a bit, if it persists for another week or get's worse will contact the doctor. This is the remaining pain that is causing me to stay on the Percoset, and at 15 second intervals at night it get's tiring. During the day as I move around it's not as painful, go figure...

Thanks Again,

Bob

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
Bit early for the roller Bob - but massage would definitely help.

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
Hernanu and Bob, not a roller...a rolling pin!!(gently). My doc did say I could try a roller (gently) BUT don't you have to be on the floor to use that? I could no more get on the floor right now than I could do the splits.

RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
Maybe he wasn't thinking of a foam roller? A tennis ball to roll on the area also works nicely.

bestbob

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
"I could no more get on the floor right now than I could do the splits.", good one Lauren  :D. My mistake, I meant a rolling pin or massage. I got on the floor to brush my cat, he was looking pitiful.  Anyway, got a call into my Dr. to discuss the throbbing pain every 15 seconds, as it is really interrupting my sleep, which isn't long periods to begin with. My bet is, he will say I am only 22 days post-op and the muscles need to heal, so give it some time. That is fine than, just would like to know if I should stop any exercises and/or is there a new exercise I can do?

Wonder if we will hear from Juno today?

Regards,
Bob

keepmovin

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
Hi Bestbob-

Have you ever suffered with Bursitis?  I have/had similar issues now with my bad leg and previously with my now resurfaced leg.  Before surgery and also after, my bursitis would act up causing that annoying throbbing pain from incision to the knee and also into the thigh.  The Dr. would bring up the bursitis, plant his finger into the offending area and sure enough, pain!  It was worse at night when trying to sleep.

I learned to isolate the pain when I would have flare-ups by working my fingers up the side of the leg as I lay on the floor - you can't do that now but something to think of going forward.  I will massage it myself and what really helped was the tennis ball that Hernanu recommended.  Acupuncture really helped me later.

I can't say that's the issue with you but sounds pretty close.  Always best to check with your Dr., though, to rule out something that requires his attention.

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

bestbob

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
Keepmovin - I have not had bursitis, at least it has not been mentioned during any doctors visits, nor have I had this type of pain before pre-op. I appreciate thinking out of the box, and will definitely keep it on the radar.

I did discuss this with the physicians assistant yesterday, and he stated that it 'may' be due to over doing the exercises and just take it down a notch to see if the pain reduces, it could be the IT Band also. Also asked him about massaging it, and at this point in the recovery (23 days post-op) he recommends against it, as soft tissue is healing and he doesn't want anything to disturbed/aggravate the healing.

I know my Dr. is very conservative, and I will follow his recommendations just to be safe also. He strongly recommends keeping with 2 crutches until 6 week follow-up, which I am also following.

Bob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM