+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Home from surgery  (Read 2604 times)

patm

Home from surgery
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
Had my right hip resurfaced on Tuesday, with Dr. Brooks. Surgery went well. Had a lot of pain the first few days, but am much better now- came home on Friday. Worst thing for me now is getting in and out of my bed . Steps (2) to enter house was very "challenging". One thing is that my right leg was my good leg 2nd a bad left knee and now the left leg is my good leg. My left knee has been good since my surgery, but I am not used to depending on it. Last night I had an awful time getting on and off the toilet, but this morning went much better. Every one at Cleveland clinic was very nice to work with and I did have a " lake view" from my window :)  Well - off to do my exercises and get a little walk in.  P.S. - must say something about my husband - he has been great giving me both mental and physical support.

Juno

Re: Home from surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
Good for you Patm! It is hard, but be patient and it does get easier. I am now 10 days post op and am beginning to feel more like myself. I've been elevating and icing several times a day, but the swelling is still hanging around. Pain levels are really manageable and I've been just on Tylenol since Wednesday. Walking is getting easier. Sleeping, for me, is still a challenge. But I'm trying really hard to take it one day at a time.

Rest and let your body heal.
Wishing you the best.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

bestbob

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Nice to know you are home Patm, I too left Euclid General on Fri from a Tue operation with Dr. Brooks on June 18. Almost 5 weeks out and I am feeling pretty good, but recognize that I should not over do it. One of the hardest things for me, maybe two, which changed weekly follows.
Week 1 - Sleeping and swelling
Week 2 - Swelling and pain between hip and knee. Like IT band or muscle spasms.
Week 3 - Staples off (yipee), and new exercises to do. Don't try to do 30 reps at once. Ease into it. I over did it and had a couple day set back. Still not sleeping through the night. :-(
Week 4 - Have to remind myself to take it easy, and try not to push even though feeling better. Finally making progress on getting off meds. Only taking Percoset at night, and Tylenol Extra-strength during the day. Sleeping and walking better also.

6 week appointment on July 30 with Phil, and hopefully no more crutches and allowed full weight bearing.

Keep us informed how your recovery is going.

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

packman

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
Patm (no one will call you just Pat so we don't confuse you with the ORIGINAL Pat)
Do you have a toilet seat riser? - that little plastic contraption that had handles and raised the seat up about 6-10 inches was invaluable comfort to me for the first 2-3 weeks
In and out of bed - I found the first 2 weeks better to enter the bed from the bottom and inch/drag my butt to my spot - trying to lift and swing my legs up and over was as you noted very painful and difficult
Best wishes for continued progress - and enjoy the best exercise - walking!
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

kimberly52

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
Maybe this suggestion will help with getting in and out of bed.  They discharged me with a sling that I wrapped around the ball of my foot and was able to use that to lift my leg to get in and out of bed.  It was a godsend for me.  Any old long strap will work.

Congrats on your new hip to all of you and my best wishes for a full recovery.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:05:40 AM »
Pat

Glad to hear you are home. You will feel better soon. You will get better in plateaus.  All of a sudden you realize you feel better and are doing more.  You will gradually get back to being active without pain.  It takes time and don't push.

Keep us updated when you can. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
Congrats Pat - all of the challenges improve and become easier, then nonexistent.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lauren Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
Satin sheets and that sling device... Slid right off the bed! Also the toilet seat risers are a must! I am 5 Weeks tomorrow and ditched them 2 weeks ago. Make sure you are are sleeping  on the side of the bed where your operated leg is first one out. My home PT set me straight on that her first visit. I was leading with my unoperated leg and it didn't work at all! Also I stretch before I try to get out of bed.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

kate71

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
my other top tip for toilets, as even with the toilet riser I found it really difficult, is to have another pair of crutches which are at the shortest setting and use these to push up on from sitting and to lower down slowly with too. ;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat