+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Seat for Bi-Lat Hippy  (Read 4754 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Best Seat for Bi-Lat Hippy
« on: July 29, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
I know there are many serious bicycle hippys, hoping some can provide some advice on bike saddles.  Although I am not a serious rider, I do enjoy going as much as time allows, for 10 -15 mile jaunts.

Finally got time to go back out on my bike yesterday, now about 22 months and 18 months after 2 BHR's.  Enjoyed it immensely, did about 20 miles on the Towpath in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in NE Ohio.  As was normal after a layoff like that, sore in the ass regions, largely due to the seat on my bike.  Also felt some pinching at/around the acetabular cups, no doubt made a bit worse by some weight loss over the past couple of years (less padding), which generated a bit of concern on my part.  Look forward to doing much more, soon, but my butt is a consideration.

I did ride a stationary bike alot in the colder months after each surgery, but is was a recumbant variety that does not put pressure, like my actual bike does, on the backside.

I do have a gel-type seat with a bit of a cut out to avoid male discomfort and dysfunction in the perineum region, but clearly I need to revisit getting a new seat to help avoid the problems with the old style seats.

Can anyone advise if they have used and recommend any of the newer seat types, the "bench" style with no nose, or others with a nose and more cutout, or even the bifurcated seat, to avoid the pain associated with the old stype seats?  Any specific types or brands to look for?  Is there a learning curve with the "noseless" seats?

Thanks in advance for anything you may be willing to share

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:24:02 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Dan L

Re: Best Seat for Bi-Lat Hippy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
Any Hippy Bikers care to weigh in on this thread?

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
Dan - I am a serious, bilateral, bicycling Hippy and I live in Colorado. I have been riding either my mountain bike on the trails, or my road bike on the street almost every day this summer. I've done some epic climbs, and rides of 30+ miles without any discomfort from either seat, except at the very beginning of riding season. I do feel the pinching you mentioned whenever I am turning the big rings or climbing. I expect your discomfort will go away after awhile. I don't know if the type of seat is the problem. As with most things, I think your body will adapt.

Good luck Dan.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Dan L

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:31:51 AM »
Boomer;

Great to hear from you, and thanks for the guidance.  The OA is history on the bike, that's the main thing.

Thanks

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat