+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: MIS  (Read 1419 times)

dman

MIS
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:59:03 AM »
Have read Jimmy Connors endorsement of the (Wright appliance) MIS.  Obviously if MIS is that advantageous, everyone would do only that.  Is the MIS procedure that good and are any surgeons doing it with a BHR?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: MIS
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »
Hi

There are doctors that use smaller incisions like a 4" incision to do hip resurfacing.  Dr. Bose of India is one of them.

The MIS doesn't not mean quicker recovery.  The surgeons skill in performing the operation means a quicker recovery. The size of the incision has no effect on post op recovery.  I used Dr. De Smet of Belgium and have about a 10" incision.  He wants plenty of room to get in and out quickly without disrupting anything else in the area.  He does his surgeries in about 45 minutes.  Most De Smet hippies have very quick and easy recoveries.  I was on one crutch at 4 days and none at 4 weeks. Took no major meds after leaving the hospital in 2 1/2 days.  Used Advil for muscle soreness and incision tenderness.  I was sight seeing 5 days post op and flew home 8 1/2 hours 10 days post op. Walked over 1 mile a day by 12 days post op. 

I tell the story to illustrate the point that incision size has no bearing on recovery.

Here are a couple pages about incision size
http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqmis.php
http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqincisionlength.php

I hope that helps.  Don't forget Jimmy Connors had a MOM  metal on metal THR, not a hip resurfacing.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dman

Re: MIS
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Very helpful

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear