+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: THR in 9 Days on Aug 26th!!!  (Read 14534 times)

Reno

THR in 9 Days on Aug 26th!!!
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »
Hi All-

I first posted this message under Surface Hippies stories, but I now understand it should be posted here!

While I had learned that I have avascular necrosis in 2007 when I had an MRI due to a torn hamstring (while playing golf), I was told not to worry as I was not having any pain or other problems.  Up until about 3 months ago, everything was fine.  Then I got a stabbing pain in my lower back. And, after several different doctors, xrays and MRIs, the fracture in my femoral head was found.  And so, here I am, getting ready for major surgery.

My hip is fractured with a collapsed femoral head; all because of avascular necrosis.  Does anyone know anything about how avascular necrosis and osteopenia might affect the surgery and recovery? I am 67 years old and I am scheduled for a Anterior THR of my left hip.

I am having my surgery in 9 days, on Aug 26th!.  Hurray.  While I am so happy about the pending surgery, I am scared to death as well.  Scared about making it through the surgery without any complications (I am prone to complications  :-(     Scared about getting through the rehab.  Because of my condition I have been practically immobile for the past three months and I have so little energy.  How am I going to get through the rehab???  Also, I have been having trouble with the prescribed pain meds.  I am allergic to most of them... itching, can't sleep, mini seizures...  So, I have been trying to tough it out without any prescribed pain meds.  But, I am sure I will need something to get through the initial post-surgery days and during rehab. 

Right now I know I should be getting ready, not only for the surgery, but for when I come home.  If I tried to negotiate my home now with crutches I am sure there would be problems. So, me and my sig. other need to get to work (well, especially him as I am not good for much of anything these days...).  I read one of Anna's older posts regarding getting ready and the input provided by Mike and Hern.

Better get cracking!!!

Anna

Re: THR in 9 Days on Aug 26th!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
Hey Reno!!

The hardest part of this for me was knowing I was making the right decision. I didn't want any regrets or doubts. I had a long and traumatic 18 month fight for my THR and by the time I actually got the nod and a date, I was exhausted and my hip was a lot worse off that what it was when I started. All I could feel after that was excitement. I thought nerves and doubts would set in but they actually didn't until I was sat in the anaesthetic room getting my spinal block! I think you have to look at it in another way ..... it sounds like you don't have a choice and things could not really get much worse than your situation at present, so what have you got to lose?! If you are practically immobile now, you are going to feel amazing after your surgery. You will stand up probably on the second day and will try to have a little walk and if you are like me, you will be in less pain than what you were pre op. No arthritis pain is the best feeling in the world!!

Don't worry about the operation or your recovery. You will be in the best of hands and just take it steady. Everyone recovers at different paces. I keep thinking, my 90 year old granny had a hip replacement last year and she is doing fine. If she can get through this procedure then I'm pretty sure you and I can!! She was hardly mobile pre op. I know she probably wont need to be as mobile as either of us post op but she would still have the same recovery problems, scars and muscle aches initially.... I'm pretty sure you will be fine!

I was completely unorganised before my op. I was too busy going on holiday!  ;D I tidied the house and bought myself a grabber. Luckily when I got back from hospital, a lovely fellow hippy on this site had posted me a raised toilet seat (Thanks Sally!!!). I don't think I could live without my toilet seat and grabber. They are both worth their weight in gold and are the ultimate items that I think you need. Other than that, have a good tidy, put anything you think you will need (chargers, books, DVD's) high up and have some good meals prepared. Everything else will just fall into place.

Cant wait to hear your recovery story! Good luck.

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
Reno,
I'd agree with everything Anna said there. I think once you know your hip is beyond resurfacing it just becomes easy to accept.
Given the choice, most of us would go down the HR route, but when that option goes due to our ropey old bones, the THR is the only way to go.
I've had no regrets at all. I've got my life back completely and have had quite a few days in recent weeks where I've forgot about it for a few hours and that's a good feeling.
Pre-op for about 2 years, and for 10 months post-op, its been on my mind almost constantly but as the recovery continues, I've though about it less and less.
As Anna said, lots of things fall into place and as long as you've got those basic essentials ready, you'll be just fine, all the best Mike
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Reno

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »
Hi Anna and Mike-

It is great to hear about your 90 y/o Granny's successful recovery!  I really appreciate all of your wonderful suggestions, encouragement and support!  I know that you both know how important it is to have support from those who have had the same experience. 

I will take your suggestions to heart about getting prepared.  I only have a few days to go.  YIKES!  :-)

Reno

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
Hi Reno

The great group here will talk to you no matter where you post.  I just like to try to organize things so it is easy for people to find different topics.

We are glad you are here and I know you will get a lot of support.  Hip resurfacing or THR, we all end up out of pain and active again.  We love our hip resurfacings, but sometimes you are not a good candidate.  What is important is to get a good surgeon and a good hip replacement so you can get back to living an active life.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Reno

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »
Hi Pat-

I can certainly appreciate the way the site is laid out. There are so many wonderful topic areas and, now that I am maneuvering through the different sections better, I am finding so much information.  And, as it seems I am obsessed right now with wanting to learn about others hip experiences, I am here, probably excessively...  :-)  It is good that there is no charge by the hour for visiting here.  :-) 

I am absolutely feeling the encouragement and support and I am so appreciative!!!

Reno

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »
I don't know if you have had time to read the stories posted on the main website
http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/  Quite a few are from this group, but there are many more that email me privately.

Also I have THR stories on the THR website, not anywhere as many as here, but also interesting

http://www.hipsforyou.com/hipstories.php

I organize the site and main website, but the great support you receive is from all the wonderful members on the discussion group.  I always like to Thank them for taking time to talk with others.  Usually as people heal, they start to forget about their hips and surgery and gradually move on.  Some still stop back on the anniversaries and a handful of wonderful people stay here to help others.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Anna

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 08:31:54 AM »
Good luck for tomorrow Reno !!!!! I will look forward to your updates  :)

Anna

whyme

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
Best of luck Reno!
I'm myself scheduled for HR in 9 days  ;D , and slowly but surely thoughts about the surgery are creeping up every day, trying to keep them at bay but is not easy.
Today I participated in an open water swim event (~4km), this will be one of my benchmarks once I'm back to business... Swimming is the only no pain activity I can do now. Well, until I had to take the wet suit off!

Pablo.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
Good luck tomorrow, Reno!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Reno

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
Hi All-

I really appreciate all of your well wishes as the day is finally arriving.  One of my best friends is coming in (to Cincinnati) tonight and she plans to stay with me for about 2 weeks.  She just retired so it is fortuitous that she is able to stay so long.  She is a wonderful help and I know my sig. other will be glad for some relief, as he has been waiting on me hand and foot for over 3 months now.  :-(     

I guess I am ready. Well, as ready as I will be at this point.  One question - does anyone else have trouble with nightmares from sleeping on your back?  I have always had nightmares when I fall asleep on my back.  YIKES!  From what I have been reading here, my back will be my only option for a while.  And, not to mention the strange dreams the pain meds cause...  Oh well, I am truly looking forward to the healing pain and progress in my recovery.

Whyme, I wish you a successful surgery and I will be following your recovery.

Take care.
Reno

Lauren Lee

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
Hi Reno, By now you have a coupld of days under your belt. Hope you are doing well and that all is going smoothly for you. Check in when you can!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Reno

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
Hi Lauren and All-

Today marks 10 days since my THR on Sept 26th! And, I am finally able to communicate a little...  It is my intent to write about my experience in the near future but for now I just wanted to let you know that I did survive the surgery and the past days that followed, some not so bad, others not so good... 

What has made the most difference for me throughout this process to date, and into the future I am sure, has been the support of all of the people on this site and your shared stories. 

So, thanks very very much for now, and I will be in touch, hopefully, in the next few days. 
Take care.
Reno

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
Take good care of yourself Reno, thanks for checking in and look forward to hearing the good and not so good.

I hope you have more of the first and less of the second.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Reno
Glad to hear from you. Recovery for any hip surgery has both good and bad.  Hopefully you will have more good in the future. 

Let us know how you are doing when you can.

Good Luck

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Anna

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Hey Reno, I was wondering how you were!!!

Glad to hear from you and I will look forward to your update  ;D

Ana

Reno

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »
Hi Hernau and All-

As I attempt to think of how to describe the past 24 days, it is difficult to come up with the words...  My plan is to write about my experience soon on the site, but my fear right now is that it feels more like a sad sob book than an update...  :-(    I can say that I have been on an emotional roller coaster, which was unexpected.  Physically, the pain and discomfort has been pretty bad, but on a positive note, I did not have the initial problems sleeping that many other Hippies described.  And, I am soooo grateful for that.  PATIENCE is the biggest issue that comes to mind, which seems to be the theme for all of us Hippies.  And, while I seem to be progressing, the likelihood that my right hip will have to be replaced is creeping into my mind more and more (avascular necrosis...), which makes me feel somewhat ungrateful.  :-(

I had my second session of outpatient physical therapy today and boy, was it a workout!!!  YIKES!  I know, good healing pain... 

Well, for someone who did not have much to say right now, I have rattled on and on.  I do intend to write about my experience in the near future.  I pray that those of you who recently had hip surgery are progressing well, with minimal pain and discomfort.  And, those much further along, my well wishes to you.

Thanks so much, Hernanu, for reaching out to me.  VERY TIMELY!!!

Hi,

Just wanted to check on how you are and how it's going. Hopefully well in both cases.

Hernan.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
I've used the term roller coaster a few times, so I know what you mean. I describe the recovery as both physical and emotional roller coasters, though of course they're connected. Like you, I didn't really know what to expect post-op; posting here and hearing that others have gone through or are going through similar feelings is a big help. Everyone preaches patience  - which of course is great advice to hand out to others but not so easy to practice yourself  ;)
I found the down times were caused by ongoing pain ("why does it still hurt?" "will it ever get better?") and by the loss of independence, like needing help getting socks on. As time goes on there are less downs but it can be a long haul.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
The down times are difficult. We've talked about them over time, but the emotional side is a part of the recovery, I believe.

We prepare so much for the physical recovery, but there is no doubt that there is a whole rollercoaster involved.

As oldsoccerplayer says well, when we stand at one place, in the very beginning and we're faced with pain and hopefulness, it's sometimes hard to see even the near future. Time does pass and brings increasing improvement, but at the start you're operating on faith and that sometimes lags.

Things will be better.

The prospect of a second when you are at a hard point now is daunting,  but having done both, I can tell you that once past the recovery, I had two strong, functioning hips. I hope you don't need to, but if you do, the result is amazing.

Reno

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
YOU GUYS...  You are all so awesome!!!  Thanks so very much for your continued support and well wishes.

Have a wonderful weekend and talk soon.
Reno

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM