+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long after hr can you do any impact sports usually play badminton  (Read 2655 times)

Jaks111

I'm a keen badminton player In a social group I still play 3 times a week even through I'm struggling to run with the pain etc, my op is for the 11 th sep when I'm able I will walk and swim, but I'm going to really miss badminton, any ideas on when I can go back.
Thanks jacki

Dannywayoflife

Re: How long after hr can you do any impact sports usually play badminton
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Several schools of thought on this and I believe Mr T now says 6 months I believe this is the minimum period and I chose to wait 12 months before doing any impact.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Granton

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
With respect to tennis (similar, I guess), Mr McMinn told me one year, maybe gentle doubles after six months. I suspect the guidance may change post-op according to how it went, bone quality etc.

It is tempting to press on as soon as poss, but we need to look after them...

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:07 AM »
Jaks111 - you really should discuss this with your surgeon before the operation. He or she will give you a time table to return to activities. My surgeon asked me what level of activity was my goal to return to. Then after surgery based on bone quality, etc., he gave me the go ahead to play soccer after 6 months and I did. In all honest I think it was too soon in my case. The more years of arthritis symptoms before surgery will likely increase the amount of months it will take for your soft tissues to readjust throughout your entire body post op. Although I had proper strength and what appeared to be proper flexibility, there just seems to be a deep imbalance that is imperceptible until you really push it and then this imbalance shows itself through injuries of other body parts. I had to deal with hamstring pulls on non operated leg, then had to sit out six weeks for knee pain and swelling on op side. And now I am dealing with Achilles pain on op side. I believe this is all because I haven't had full range of motion in my left hip for at least 3 to 5 years and everything is still adjusting. I'll be 9 months post of next week.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

TheMcMinnCentre

• The McMinn Centre - Excellence in Hips & Knees
    • The McMinn Centre
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »
Mr McMinn advises our his BHR patients wait a minimum of 12 months after surgery before returning to impact sports and activities.

You can read some more about the physical restrictions after a BHR here http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/faq.html#physical
The McMinn Centre - Excellence in Hips & Knees
Home of Mr Derek McMinn MD FRCS, inventor of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR)

Jaks111

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
Thank you McMinncentre.
My friend Kate from Ibiza  came and had her hr with you  and she is really pleased I went to visit in April.
Gosh I did not think it would be that long.
Thank you for replying.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »
Jaks the reason behind this is it has been shown in bone mineral studies that it takes around 12 months for the femur to regain its full strength. It is my belief that some surgeons say 6 months because of bone quality at time of surgery is high and they feel that at 6 months there's enough strength returned to return.

I was initially told 12 months ( however my mate who Mr T did recently was told 6) but at my 6 month review the healing evident from the X-rays was far more advanced than normal. Possibly due to my very very high bone quality(thanks to 15 years of martial arts and general loonacy!).
I chose however to wait till 12 months as let's face it being conservative is never going to harm this device!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jaks111

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
Thanks Danny just have to stick to the treadmill and swimming for a while.

mike1966

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »
Hi Jaks,

I was a keen badminton player in my teens, haven't played for years but based on my recovery, I could have played lightly at 12 months, I think. There is no way I could have played at 6 months but everyone recovers differently. I'm now 17 months and have had rapid improvement in the last 5 months and at this point I would feel really confident about playing as hard as I wanted and my limiting factor would now be my other hip! I know it seems a long time but it passes quickly. I believe that you are much better off to build strength slowly and have a great hip in the long term. I think it's a real mistake to think you have to race to off walking aids and back to activities. I took it slowly and my hip is great and still improving.

Cheers

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »
Well said Mike
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
Hi Jaks,

I was a keen badminton player in my teens, haven't played for years but based on my recovery, I could have played lightly at 12 months, I think. There is no way I could have played at 6 months but everyone recovers differently. I'm now 17 months and have had rapid improvement in the last 5 months and at this point I would feel really confident about playing as hard as I wanted and my limiting factor would now be my other hip! I know it seems a long time but it passes quickly. I believe that you are much better off to build strength slowly and have a great hip in the long term. I think it's a real mistake to think you have to race to off walking aids and back to activities. I took it slowly and my hip is great and still improving.

Cheers

Mike

How's the TKD Mike?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mike1966

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
I take it pretty steady, Hern. I kick lightly teaching class rather than training heavily. I'm much more disciplined about strength training than flexibility and ROM could be better. My fault. I have some concerns about preserving the other hip and this new hip is letting me do lots of other things I want to and I'm cautious about stuffing it up. I have been competing with some success in 'sword combat' events using safety weapons for fun and  I sparred for the first time this week. Nothing pretty! Thanks for asking. How about you?
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Doing good, Mike - I'm back to full impact at speed. I don't have the other hip to treat carefully, though since I had both done.

The only thing I notice is some tiredness after a long bag workout (half hour or so). When doing forms or just techniques, no problems. I found the complex kicks came last, the hook kick was a trip the first few times.

I've also been doing yoga for about a year - one to two times a week, and found that really helped my ROM. I'm at three years, so the strength is stepping up. I only see a few times in yoga that I am unable to do some things.

I was balancing lying down on my side on a straight line with my free leg and arm elevated when the instructor asked those of us who could to push up and balance on the shin of the supporting leg and the hand, while keeping the other leg and arm raised.

I was able to do it on my right, but fell off on the left. My friend chuckled.

Other than that, I keep up with the different 'poses'.  So there is still improvement to make, but on the whole, good.

I'm thinking of taking up kendo at a nearby school. I've had a good amount of weapons training, but not dedicated from a school, always part of hapkido, TKD, etc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:10:23 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM