+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 14 days physically all good emotionally watch out  (Read 2835 times)

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
14 days physically all good emotionally watch out
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
Things have gone really well physically doing all post op exercises without effort now went to gym today to do upper body resistance work and went to work for half day after staples were taken out . As its my left I managed to drive ok too . Being carful and on two crutches still .

This is the surprise and please be honest guys and girls  I'm not an unmotivated sort at all  . I feel very low depressed almost and I'm feeling sorry for myself ,, hard to say but true and it's hard to shake , I am very concerned as its making me behave in self destruct way not nice to be around )-: . 

Being honest with all my posts as its important and I have no reason to feel this way all is good.

Chris
Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

HippyDogwood

Re: 14 days physically all good emotionally watch out
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
Chris

Sorry to hear this. Can you identify what you think is causing it? I am guessing it could be the resentment that you find yourself in this situation as nobody likes major surgery, or it could be the medication is having side effects. I'm no doctor, but I would try to be understanding what is causing this if I was in your position as identifying the problem is normally key to the solution.

Anyway, hang in there, as it seems most have a few setbacks along the way but feel the end result is worth it

David

Jaks111

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
Each day will only get better, think positive it will take time.
I'm due my op on the 11th I'm dreading it, but it's a must now.
Take care
Jacki

John C

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
From my own experience as well as what other have said on this site, I think that what you are experiencing is pretty common. It can be related to underlying concerns such as "what have I done?", "was this the right decision?", "will I be able to get back to the things I want to do?", "will I ever be able to perform at a high level again?". This can be a good time to browse around this site and read the stories of people who are further down the road than you are right now, and are happy with their decision and the long term results. Also, I think that part of feeling low is the bodies way of asking you to lay low and allow yourself to heal and recover. As you get farther away from the surgery, your body will be ready to do more, and your energy and attitude will lift to meet that.
As many of us found, the healing process is not just about bone and muscle, but also involves our minds and overall energy and perspective. You are early in the healing process in all of these respects, so take it easy on yourself, keep moving forward one step at a time, and you will find all things improving.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
Were you on pain meds and have you gone off of them since you started feeling this way?

Sometimes you can suffer mild withdrawal symptoms.  Other than that, I agree with John, more often than not he hits the nail on the head.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »
Hey Chris, if you search for 'depression' in this thread you'll find it's there pretty regularly.

I know that I had it at about the time you're in. Matter of fact, the second time, I was ready for it, knew it would be there and was forewarned to ride it out.

I think we not only have to heal physically, but mentally also. None of us is a block of ice. The stress of the decision we've made, the recovery, expectations, inactivity in the beginning and the perceived weakness of being in crutches, etc. are things we're unused to.

Once you begin seeing the positive, really are able to move well, the pain is gone, that lessens, but depression is something many of us run into. The best thing for me was to recognize it, know it is finite and then in the end show it on its way and close the door on the way to better.

Normal to me.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Charvel101

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:45:39 AM »
Thanks everyone it's a surprise but I can see I'm not alone on this ,,,, ice cream and chocolate and a walk in the park I think , keep as positive as possible till it passes by . 

Chris

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 07:39:20 AM »
Charvel 101 - the fact that you can even think about going to the gym after only 14 days is pretty amazing. I'm not a medical professional but I think there's a reason they schedule the first post-op follow up for 6 weeks after. It takes that long to reach any kind of stability, so from one relative newbie to another: take a deep breath, take it one day at a time, and wait a few weeks before you start taking stock of how you're doing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:46:45 AM by oldsoccerplayer »
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

chuckm

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Chris, I know in my case I really had a hard time mentally accepting that I had willfully hired a surgeon to implant a prosthetic device in my hip. That he shaved off bone that still worked; not so well but still worked nonetheless. And that I could only hope that this combination of myself and chromium cobalt would ever get to a point where I didn't feel handicapped.

That was depressing. But this site had so many stories of success that it got me through. And, at 7 weeks when it was a sunny day, I took a walk and bounded up a long stair case. That was the moment I was no longer depressed. Even if it never got any better than it was at 7 weeks, it was better than where I was before.

And what is still amazing at 9 months is that I keep counting how many years back it was that I felt this good. At 6 months post op I figured it was the best I felt in three years. But with the latest improvement I would say now it is more like 10 years. There's nothing like feeling young and healthy!

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 04:23:56 AM »
I went through it with bells on mate. Started I think because I felt pressure to get better and things aren't instant. Don't expect too much too soon and don't try too hard to be super human.
I still get downs but that is probably because I am never going to be 100% in the clear after my little mishap.
Got to think how things were before compared to now and look to the future.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Charvel101

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Thanks Jason took a few days but my mood has picked up a bit , you hit it on the head feeling I needed to get going again too soon . 

Chris

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz