+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Truly Amazed and Blessed, Post-Op Day #12  (Read 2235 times)

KevinLHitt

Truly Amazed and Blessed, Post-Op Day #12
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
Everybody out there....

I am at Post-Op Day #12 and I can tell you that the chrysalis is amazing.  I have zero internal hip pain where that constant sharp pain used to be.  I can sleep through the night with little pain medication and walking is no longer painful.  This surgery so far is a modern day miracle for me.

The only problem I am having now is finding out information on what sort of rehab activities I should/need to be doing.  I am so ready to do some physical activity. 

Thank you to PAT! Who has been absolutely amazing with this site and personal emails.  I will be donating money so that this site remains the beacon of light it has been for me and I am sure many others.  I am grateful for all the people that have responded to my questions or simply read my questions and offered up a few prayers.

We are blessed in these times and I for one will remain a part of this place in an effort to help out anyway and every way I can.

God Bless.

KH

curtieman1

Re: Truly Amazed and Blessed, Post-Op Day #12
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:48:12 AM »
Kevin, did your surgeon give you a list of activities you should do for PT? I know mine said try & walk too. You obviously don't want break any restrictions your surgeon has this early on I would consult with him, could maybe try a stationary bike. Check around on the sight there might be some guidelines for things you could do. Keep going forward & Good luck!!
Curt
LBHR Dr. Anseth July 20 2012
RBHR Dr. Scott Anseth July 24 2014

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on getting the surgery behind you and good luck in your recovery. I am sure yoursurgeon has his preferences on if to do physical therapy, and if so, how, so I encourage you to contact him/her.

For an idea of what a surgeon might suggest, check out Dr. Gross's website (link nearby). There is detailed information on phase I (shortly after surgery) and phase II (down the road) exercises. I don't have a problem recommending them as Dr. Gross is extremely conservative in his recommendations for activity for the first six months.

Good luck!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
Kevin

Thank You for your kind words about the website and donation!  I appreciate donations since they go to help keep the website hosted and to update software and hardware.  It is a great way for people to help others learn about hip resurfacing.

Great to hear you are doing well.  Some surgeons don't even recommend PT.  Some just tell you to walk, walk and walk.  Don't, however,  over do any activities at this point no matter how well you feel.  If you push too hard you can get swelling and pain.  Your body has it's own timeline to heal and you can't push it.  Wait until your many months post op to start really pushing.

Good Luck and I along with many others will appreciate any posts, help and suggestions to new members in the future.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
Hi Kevin... really good that you are having a nice recovery. You will hit a setback sometime along the way, so enjoy the now and use it to go forward.

As noted, every surgeon is different and every patient is different, so find out from your surgeon what is a good step forward on exercise. Walking as much as possible without pushing it too far is a given.

I had physical therapy, both in the house and outhouse (  ;D ), and that worked for me, but can respect surgeons who are more conservative, especially if they feel that's more suited in a particular case.

I found that early on, the stationary bike and walking gave me the most help, along with some basic exercises, a bunch of which are listed on this site.

Nice post and good luck!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
Great to hear that!
I also found dramatic improvement day after day for the first couple of weeks post-op, then the pace slows down a bit so now I measure weekly. It helps to remember that, according to what I've read, it takes at least 6 months to get back to impact activities like jogging so patience and perseverance are key.
I second what others said in earlier posts about doing as much walking as you can and consult your Dr's office for specific exercises.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Brian Wilson

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
Kevin, it's great to hear that you're doing well. I am 21 days out now and feeling fabulous. Last week, starting 16 days post-op, my physiotherapist had me on both a stationary bike and a treadmill. Both of these activities are really helping. The bike is helping with range of motion and strengthening and the treadmill is helping with strengthening and increasing the load that I can bear on my recovering leg. I have also been doing stretches and exercises (with increasing difficulty) since post-op day 1. Continued success on your journey!

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
Great news glad you feel so good , just take your time and don't rush it trust me plenty of time to get fit again. Look after your hip now it will serve you well for years .

Chris
Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:36 PM »
Dr. Gross's recommendation is very light stretches and walking for the first 6 weeks (Phase1). The exercise bike comes in at Phase2. I assume that 6 weeks is some kind of average and some are ready earlier and some take longer. If you're not sure, take the conservative approach.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

packman

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
solid post-op stories continue - good to hear of people's successes

As much as several like to quote specific days and feeling fabulous, the advice I received from several on this site most notably Hernau and Pat was don't push it despite your desires and athletic prowess in recovering from previous sports injuries.
Brian - seriously Bike and treadmill at day 21 3 weeks is quite rare - I hope your physio is quite well versed in BHR and not applying the Total Hip replacement treatment or you are doing this quite lightly and sporadically with no resistance
I followed Dr. Gross's team advice which pushed walking walking and walking launched into this elliptical / bike at week 6 - time is on your side no need to rush. Don't regret it one bit, and after his 3200 surgeries plus, I fully trusted their input
I am approaching month 6 completion this week and just returned from a golf trip - 11 rounds in 6 days (albeit mostly cart - on single round days I walk) with absolutely no issues. I've been working out for the past 3 months 2 times a week with no running or lifting more than 50 lbs.
Continued success to all
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Lauren Lee

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »
I started PT right out of the hospital and finished up about two weeks ago. I remained on hip restrictions for 12 weeks. I walked a  lot in the beginning and am now on the bike and increasing stretches and adding some yoga moves. Dr. Schmitt told me "If it hurts, don't do it". This surgery has been an absolute blessing for me as well. Glad you are doing well.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat