+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Driving  (Read 1748 times)

Anna

Driving
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Hi guys,

I was just wondering at which point everyone went back to driving? I'm 6 weeks post op today  (hoorah!) and attempted to drive for the first time on a bit of private land. I managed it but have never felt so uncomfortable or unnatural in my life! Has anyone else had any problems trying to drive again? I have a manual car and my operated hip is the right hand side which does not help matters!

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

fenceman

Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »
When I had my left done I was only taking Tylenol and drove on the 5th day which I think was not too smart.  After my right I waited 2 weeks and did not have a problem.  My Doctor recommended to wait 6 weeks.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
Hey Anna! 2 1/2 weeks to three on either side, but mine is an automatic.

I felt strange driving again, probably mostly due to not having driven for a bit. I'd imagine the whole concert of feet that a standard requires would put a bit more stress.

My surgeon told me that if I could comfortably get in the car and move my feet from one pedal to the other, I was good to go. That was at two - three weeks for me.

It should go quickly though, I had no problems other than the odd soreness under the buttocks, easily alleviated by putting my flat ice pack under me.

By three months, I drove 450 miles by my lonesome to visit a friend in the happy land of Maine (I took a couple of ice packs for that one).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »
Thanks guys,

My surgeon was quite specific about no driving till 6 weeks so I have patiently waited. I can get in and out of the car fine. I can move from pedal to pedal fine and I even practiced a couple of emergency stops which were fine, it just feels really uncomfortable. Not so much pain, just awkward. I guess it will get better over time and I shall build up my miles slowly.

Anna

Granton

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
When I had my right one done (14 years ago) I got back to driving after six weeks it felt a bit odd at first but was quite comfortable and soon felt fine. After about seven weeks I started on the motorbike.

A week later I hit a patch of black ice, dropped the bike and slid across the road on my operated side. Nasty bruise, which fortunately the surgeon did not see when I had my two month check-up. No harm done, happily.

In the UK, I believe the six weeks is an insurance restriction if its the right leg (to do with braking reaction time).

David
Rt BHR Non 1999
Lt BHR scheduled 8th Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Juno

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
Anna --- I drove at 3 weeks, but my car is an automatic. I had my right hip done so I had to practice breaking with my left foot. It took a week or so, but eventually I got the hang of it. I understand what you mean though about it feeling strange. It just takes time :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Lauren Lee

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »
Anna, I drove at 2 1/2 weeks....to pt and back which was about 3 miles. I practiced braking with my left foot pre-op so it wasn't too hard and I also have an automatic. I really put the wheels to the ground at about 4 weeks but I was very cautious and "defensive" driving was an understatement. Some docs are so different. My doc said I could drive at two week check but didn't lift my hip restrictions until 12 weeks.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Neild5

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »
I was cleared to drive "As soon as you don't need narcotics" on my left hip.  Of course he told me that at my 2 week check up and I did not take any after I got home.  And I have a manual transmission.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Anna

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »
I think Granton is right, In the UK I think the 6 week no driving rule is more for insurance purposes. I have been driving a bit now but its still very uncomfortable. I think its because I just cant lift my leg past 90 degrees so I'm struggling with comfort. I'm sure it will get better though!  ???

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal