+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Australia Hip Resurfacing  (Read 2217 times)

lgbran

Australia Hip Resurfacing
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »
X-rays today and ECG. I've been fortunate enough to organise surgery BHR for November 19 .local surgeon with 150 BHR under his belt. After searching on the net and some frantic telephoning i
Have found a surgeon in Melbourne about an hour away with 1000+ BHR under his belt and his pay has booked me in for surgery for November 11. Not only am I having the surgery earlier I'm seeing a surgeon with 850 + more hip resurfaces under his belt . To say I'm rapt is an understatement. I won't cancel the other surgery until I see David in the big smoke but I'd be highly surprised if he says I'm not suitable given the first surgeon says I was.win win for me
Keep you posted
Cheers
Lgbran
Australia
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Australia Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
Hi

I split your post so people knowing about Australia can see your topic.

I am sorry to come to the party late, but there are 3 surgeons listed that are at or close to 1000 on my list.  Maybe you want to check that out too.  Sometimes I get busy and don't read all the posts all the time.  I have been doing this since 2005 and sometimes am away from my computer with a little vacation time. 

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#Australia

Good Luck as you go forward with your resurfacing.  It is good to try to use the very experienced surgeons when you can since they are doing resurfacings on going and usually have better outcomes.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
The thing we seem to find (a large amount due to the great Australian registries that keep HR statistics for us), is that the more experience, the better the result.

That does not take away from the skill and dedication of the other doctor, it is just that the best results come from surgeons who have done more than 200, do them routinely and often. We want more experienced surgeons; they all had to be at 150 before they hit the 1000's.

In your place, though you want to choose the best outcome for yourself.

There's no replacement for experience and commitment in a more demanding operation. You've positioned yourself well, make sure you grill this particular surgeon as well as you did the last.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lgbran

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:34:46 AM »
Oops I don't know where I hot David from....
Lucky enough to see Stephen McMahon from. Melbourne one of the pioneers here in Australia. Will grill him. He is the surgeon I will go with barring a Catastrophe. here I am on Tuesday I'm quite a bit of pain...went to a family function.. Had a bit to drink and presto the pain in hip was gone. Danced like I sis in my disco days and forgot all about my pain.past 3 geez my hip is sore. That will,teach me for being stupid
Cheers
Len M
M

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
Like I've heard before (I think I was drinking when I heard this, or I invented it myself !!! )

Alcohol causes a lot of trouble and fixes it as well....

Or maybe it was Socrates. (...I drank WHAT?)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lgbran

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »
Last night went to bed and slept got 14 hours.it's amaZing how much having a dodgy nip takes it out of you.saw my local GP for referral to Stephen McMahon. X-rays results from early in week show bone on bone in 2 places in right hip with not much cartilage left. He said left hip will need work down the track. Went for an hour and a half bike ride. Another day off the calendar and another bike ride under my belt. I keep on reminding myself that I won't be able to ride a bike for quiet a while once op is performed . It's one of the few excercises I can do relatively pain free

mike1966

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »
Hi Len,

Just wanted to wish a fellow Aussie, all the best. I'm in Tasmania and was in the same position as you two years ago. I was anxious and even cancelled surgery once but really glad i did it now. Keep us posted.

Cheers

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

lgbran

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »
Hello Mike
Feels like I am in Tassoe at the moment .grand final day and blowing a gale. Yep can t wait til surgery and move forward. So glad am getting the resurfacing done. The first surgeon I saw doesn't even perform birminghams. To me a hip replacement is not n option I even considered .6 Weeks to surgery come Monday not that I'm counting . So 2 years after surgery what can't you do"
Cheers
Len

mike1966

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Hi Len,

The strength and stability in my hip is excellent. I should work harder on range of motion but that's about the only limitation. I limit my kicking at Taekwondo classes to a minimum, not because of pain but I don't want to risk this good hip. I did a 5km 'mud run' last weekend which included crawls, walls and obstacles, I had a small amount of muscle fatigue but zero pain. I can sleep at night without drugs and the hip feels like a normal hip. I am still improving significantly at 18 months. My best advice is to follow the recovery regime and take it slow. Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Cheers

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

lgbran

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
Hello Mike
Greetings from across the Bass Straight. Will definitely keep on posting. Wow sounds like you have come a long way. I would love to run again who knows maybe one day I will. I'm an all or nothing person so hopefully I can go flat out and long on my bike. Regardless it sounds absolutely magic to be living pain free and pursuing life/sports once again. Great stuff and will keep in touch. A 5 k. Mud bash obstacle course sounds great. Marathons used to be my thing then replaced by long distance road cycling. Will be nice to test myself once again without grinding my joints away:)
Cheered
Len

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat