Author Topic: 4 weeks post op!  (Read 3910 times)

Elliemay1974

4 weeks post op!
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:10:56 PM »
Hello everyone!!! I'm Ellen 39y/o I was supposed to have resurfacing done on my left hip but ended up with a THR, due to a small socket and the implant would have given me more problems. I wasn't happy about that when I woke up and that was the worse pain ever!!!!! However, I had to realize that its done and move on!! Now 4 weeks out I'm doing better, walking with a cane and able to manage. The process was very difficult for me being the mom of 6yr old twins and  I'm used to being on the go. I got depressed at times and did a lot of crying. It does get better with time, now the muscle tightness is what I deal with the most and the muscles being very weak. I thank god it was my left so I can at least drive now  :)   Its so hard to ask for help when your the one that usually helps everyone else!!! Just wondering how long this muscle tightness and weakness is going to last. I'm still on hip precautions they say till November/December. So we will see.... :)  I wish I saw this post earlier about THR so I would of had people to talk to :)

hernanu

Re: 4 weeks post op!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
You can talk to any of us, we may not have a THR (or two), but we've gone through similar things.

Several active folks here have had THRs and are very active, so post away and let us know how you are.

The tightness and weakness goes away, but I think it's walking, physical activity that you do that helps it go away. Follow your restrictions, but the muscles will progress as you get more and more active.

That doesn't mean pushing beyond your restrictions, or if your body says stop, but within those limits, there's a lot we can do to improve things.

Patience is the key with this, the muscle re education is a long term thing. I still dealt with it significantly up to a year. Flexibility (my kind) was the last to come.

At four weeks you're just starting, you have at least to six months to build up the bones, maybe longer for the muscles.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder