+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Re-surfacing both hips at the same time  (Read 8564 times)

cisco.leon

Re-surfacing both hips at the same time
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
I'm a 33 year old male, bone on bone with my left hip and on the way out with my right hip (not quite bone on bone, but starting to impinge, doctor has said it will eventually be the same condition).

Dr Edwin Su is booked Feb 2014.

My question is, I want both hips resurfaced. But do I do both hips at the same time? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Anyone had both hips done at the same time?

moe

Re: Re-surfacing both hips at the same time
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
Welcome to the site cisco.leon. I had both done at the same time when I was 56. You will need lots of help for the first few weeks. It kicked the crap out of me. The advantage is one surgery and recovery, but it is much harder than just one. Most surgeons won't do it, my surgeon was trained by Dr Su and it was no problem for him. I would do it over again. Has Dr Su advised both at once?  moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Ben_G

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
Hi Leon,
I researched extensively and found a lot of great information on this site prior to my surgery(for which I am very grateful) so I feel obligated to post my experience.
I am a 43 year old active and fit male that had simultaneous bilateral hip resurfacing done with Dr Schmalzried(Awesome surgeon) a little over two months ago(Aug 26, 2013).  I had previously had hip arthroscopy done on my right hip about 3 years ago(different surgeon) and although it helped somewhat with my range of motion, the fact that I had severe arthritis in both of my hips still left me in a good deal of daily pain and ultimately led me to pursue the hip resurfacing route.
I was a little nervous about doing both at the same time but I knew I needed both done and didn't want to have to go through the rehab twice if I could avoid it.  My Dr described it fairly accurately by saying "I can give your body a moderate beating twice or a severe beating once" so I just bit the bullet...
Anyway, I had the Surgery Monday morning and went home on Thursday around noon.  I was able to get around by myself on crutches and felt pretty good all things considered.  I was walking unassisted and without crutches by the end of week 3(although with a noticeable limp) and able to pick up my 2 year old and carry him around the house by the end of week 4.  I am avid golfer and stared chipping/putting around this same time and just this past weekend(2 months post) was able to play 9 holes without pain. (Although my back was definitely a little stiff after)
So, to sum up, if you are in relatively good shape, have good core muscle strength, and not overweight (I am 6'2" - 200 lbs), and you know you need both done - I say go for it!  I'm glad I did.  The tough part is over and I can look forward to feeling better every day.   Best of Luck - Ben
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:43:17 PM by Ben_G »

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »
Nice post, Ben and welcome...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »
I am a Dr. Su simultaneous bilat patient 6 months out.  I am happy I did the bilateral.  As a bilateral patient with Dr. Su, you will be an afternoon surgery and you'll spend the first night in the recovery room.  I spent 4 nights at HSS.  They had talked about sending me home a day earlier, but I just was not ready.  Went home from HSS (note that I had posted a question on the forum prior to my surgery about whether I would need to go to a inpatient rehab after the hospital.)  Well, the rehab facility was not needed, but it did put a burden on my wife - especially for my first week home.  Make sure you have someone around for the initial days home.   

Get a toilet seat riser, just to make life easier.  I also rented a hip chair, which was helpful for me to sit at the table for dinner.  BTW, I am 6'5", 225lbs so chairs and toilets seemed very low.  The grabber helped a lot as well.  You can get around on crutches when you leave HSS, but it is hard to carry things (like a glass of water) - so I used one of the cups with a straw built in. 

I didn't drive until after my one month appointment, which was just about right for me.  After three weeks of at home rehab (mainly walking and initial stretches) I did outpatient rehab for a 10 to 12 weeks.  I had no limp coming off the crutches.  However, I still do "the shuffle" when I start up after sitting or driving for a couple of hours.

I would recommend you start a regular rehab type exercise program in the next several months, prior to your surgery - it makes the recovery all the faster.  Of course I needed some painkillers to be able to exercise prior to the surgery, but it was very helpful in the long run.  That being said, don't be afraid to use the painkillers after the surgery either.   

If you need more info, or specifics, feel free to just reply or PM me.  Dr. Su and his team do quite a few simultaneous bilaterals. You're in good hands with them, if that is what they recommend. 
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

tedroberts

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
Cisco.Leon, I had both hips resurfaced when I was 50 in 2009.  My Dr. had done one other two- at-a-time surgery on a carpenter who couldn't afford the time off work for two recoveries.  I recommend it for someone "young" and fit.  Working on upper body and core strength before surgery is advisable.  I too was in the hospital 4 days, probably one more day than if I had one done.  I was able to drive to work in two week (but it hurt).  Was able to golf 18 in a cart
in April.  We rented a hospital bed for me to sleep in the living room.  I snore on my back and being able to change the position when you can only sleep on your back is a big plus.
Good luck, Ted
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Munch

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 12:28:48 AM »
Hi Cisco.Leon,  I am now 15 days post op from bilateral with Dr Gross (17 days post op of first surgery).   With my little bit of perspective on recovery side of things, it seems to me that there's an obvious advantage to the one recovery, but the trade-off or a large part is the toughness of the first week.  The good news is that once you get past that you feel stronger every day on BOTH sides and you know you've gotten the toughest stretch over for both. Once you pass that point my guess is you would be happy with your decision.   I'll keep an eye on this thread and happy to share thoughts on any other aspects of this as your surgery date approaches. 
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

REM

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Hello Cisco Leon,
I had both my hips done  5 weeks ago . I have had a phenomenal recovery and I am waiting for my buddy to get off work so we can go to the Capital One Bowl in Orlando. I recommend having both done at same the same time if you are a candidate. I can go into more detail later about having an electric lift chair and using a walker opposed to crutches, time to go . GO GAMECOCKS!
left hip resurface Biomet Magnum 11/22/2013
right hip Biomet Magnum 11/25/2013 Dr Gross

China Lady

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
3 Days post-op bilateral.
it is ok, they help you to get moving again. I don't know the difference to one at a time, I am simply happy to have it done in one go. being in the hospital is not so funny, especially here in China in a ward. OK, a 5 star ward, but you have to deal with the Chinese room mates. only one example from last night: Voice Mail at 0:30!
..... I will find out

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat