+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bike fit question  (Read 5929 times)

lgbran

Bike fit question
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:36 AM »
4 weeks from now I will have my new BHR. When the time finally does come to ride again on the road (6 months ) I guess :will I be required to be remeasured for my bike ? saddle position etc to get the correct angles given my anatomy will have changed. Have other cyclists post surgery have had to do this. Will miss my road cycling in the interim and will make do with excercise bike  until it will be safe to do so

P
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

einreb

Re: Bike fit question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
IMO... the answer is that your 'fit' will be different post surgery and then may likely change the years after surgery.

I started riding at about 5 months.  My doc had said no riding until 6 months.  The risk off fracture from falling is a serious risk to be considered.

I had a shorter reach and more upright bar position 6-12 months, then went for another fit at 1 year that was more 'traditional'.  At around 2 years, I'm another 2cm out and another cm more drop. 

I'm also getting more pelvis tilt that I 'think' means my saddle height may need to change a bit too.

-Bernie

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Jon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
Stopped riding in 2009 and did the hip in 2011.  Got back on the bike this summer in earnest.  Fit is totally different.  I'm on a tri bike and post-op I 'm much lower and much more aero.  And, no right knee flaring off to the outside.  I tell people that pre-BHR my style was much like two elephants trying to mate!

My prior bike, Argon E-112, was set up with a really high handle-bar stem inverted towards the seat to shorten the reach.  My new bike, specialized shiv pro, has no kooky fixes to get the fit right.

Ride hard!
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Hey Igbran,

Had surgery in 2008...started riding at 6 weeks and got refit. Raced and trained hard til April 2012, crashed broke trochanter (operated side). Started riding again in August 2012....got refit...then in Jan 2013 had the plate taken out that was installed to help trochanter heal...got refit again.

It's all good now. In my opinion riding is one of the easiest activities to get back into...just keep the rubber side down.

Best of luck!

spencer

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:50 AM »
Thanks folks
Riding most days as surgery draws closer. 12 days to go . Will ride until day before op, then full service on bike and under wraps for a good 6 months. Looking forward to riding better, longer and without a dicky action post op and more importantly pain free.:). Miss my running but cycling is a far more sensible option these cays. Counting down the days

lgbran

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:57:13 AM »
Thanks folks
Riding most days as surgery draws closer. 12 days to go . Will ride until day before op, then full service on bike and under wraps for a good 6 months. Looking forward to riding better, longer and without a dicky action post op and more importantly pain free.:). Miss my running but cycling is a far more sensible option these cays. Counting down the days

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM