+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Major Setback  (Read 20359 times)

Brian Wilson

Major Setback
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »
Well, I knew that things weren't going quite right when I was still on crutches seven weeks after my August 26 HR. However, I was feeling pretty good immediately prior to and during Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (October 12-14). I attended the Buffalo Bills game on October 13 with my family and we had a great time tailgating, deep frying the Thanksgiving turkey and attending the game (an OT loss to the Bengals - damn!). I was on one crutch and was really feeling like I had turned the corner. However, the next day, I was feeling some significant pain and couldn't do the exercises that I had done with ease with my physiotherapist on Friday.

At my wife's insistence, I made arrangements to see my surgeon on Thursday even though I already had an appointment with her for the following Tuesday. After she had a quick look at me and discussed my pain she sent me down for x-rays. To make a long story short, the x-rays showed that my cup had moved, to my untrained eye, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch compared to the x-rays taken three weeks before.

As a result, I am having another surgery tomorrow to have the cup removed and replaced with a more strongly anchored one. The device was Biomet. She says that she has only ever had this happen to one other patient who jumped off a ladder. I can't recall doing anything specific  that would have caused this - at the game on the 13th I was sitting for most of the day either at the tailgate or in my seat in the stadium, so I doubt that that had anything to do with it. Perhaps the cup had been moving beforehand and that was resulting in my delayed recovery.

My surgeon says that the cup that she is going to use this time will have deeper anchors as opposes to the fins on the Biomet device. My question is why wouldn't they use a more strongly anchored device in all cases if this happens in even a very small percentage of cases?

This is disappointing on a number of fronts as my recovery will now begin from scratch nine weeks after my original surgery date. I coach a team of 15 year old competitive hockey players and this further delays my return to the ice - it's very difficult to run practices from the bench even with three capable assistants. Also, we are taking the team to Eurpoe over the Christmas Break and have planned a ski day in the Austrian Alps. Skiing has been a life-long passion of mine and, never having skied in Eurpoe, I was very much looking forward to the day in hopes that my recovery would have progressed enough to do at least a few runs. Unfortunately, I will now definitely just be a spectator for sure.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:29:59 PM by Brian Wilson »

whyme

Re: Major Setback
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »
Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to read this, it must feel awful ... But somehow try to think positive, as you'll still have the HR fixed.
The coaching, Xmas break etc, as much as it bothers you now, it will amount to nothing when you look back in a few months time once you're on the good recovery path.

You must thank your wife for insisting, probably this has avoided more damage than already is!

Regarding the cup with stronger anchored device vs the original one, I'm sure there are good technical reasons why they choose generally the shallower one. My guess is that preserves more bone, i.e. maybe requires less "carving" now for the HR, or it would require less carving in the long distant future should a THR replacement was needed.

Good luck and fight back!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Brian Wilson

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
Thanks Whyme. My frame of mind is certainly much better than it was a week ago, although I still get down when I look at my poor dog who can't understand why I haven't taken her for our daily walks on the beach for about threee months! I am where I am and there isn't anything that can be done about that - I am looking forward to starting my recovery tomorrow afternoon!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
Hi Brian... really sorry to hear that, but in a bad situation, it is good that they can save the HR and find a more secure solution.

It truly and deeply sucks to have a setback like this, and to miss the plans you had.

The time will pass though and other opportunities will come. Hoping for a great procedure and recovery for you...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Juno

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Brian,
I just wanted to chime in an wish you good luck on the upcoming surgery. I'm so glad you all discovered this now versus later on when there could have been more damage.

I think I read somewhere that the anchored device is sometimes more readily used in patients that have a more severe dysplasia or poor bone density --- using the "teeth" to anchor the device into a less than desirable acetabulum. Unless your acetabulum fit the bill (poor density or severe dyplasia) it is likeky you will never know why the cup moved.

The goal now is to get if fixed and for you to get back on the road to recovery.
Please keep us posted on your surgery tomorrow -- let us know how you are doing.
Best of luck!
Juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

evant

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
Brian

Sorry to hear of your current situation - it makes for unpleasant reading.

There are many positives though:
1) a perceptive wife.
2) the surgeon has identified the problem.
3) the surgeon can fix the problem and will do it without further delay ie tomorrow.

Good luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Brian Wilson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »
Thanks folks all for the kind and wise words. Juno, my surgoen tells me that I have very good bone density which is why she was surprised and probably the reason why a more anchored device wasn't used.

So I guess you folks are telling me I should be thanking my wife not only for getting me to the surgeon quickly, but also for looking after me and my dog for these last few months with a couple more in front of her! I guess that's why I married her 31 years ago next Tuesday.

I really am blessed and, as a few of you pouinted out, fortunate that my surgeon can save the HR.

Brian Wilson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »
Well folks, it's the end of a long unhappy day.

When my surgeon opened me up, she discovered that my acetabulum had reacted negatively to the cobalt. A thin, bloody membrane had formed and the cup was sliding all over. Obviously, this led to my worst nightmare, a THR, which I found out about as I was coming out from sedation in the OR. The issue led to a lot of bleeding which required me to be given two units of blood which is unnerving - Google "tainted blood scandal Canada". The issue with tainted blood may have been resolved, but I would have liked the opportunity to bank my own blood.

Also, there was no decent spot to anchor whatever part goes in the acetabulum, so it had to be anchored by four screws which is going to lead to no movement for a period of time and a longer hospital stay.

This was all a surprise since I had had extensive allergy patch testing in July and was advised that I was negative to all metals, including cobalt!

Bottom line, I am pretty upset about the additional restrictions on my activities with a THR. However, I did know this was a risk from day 1 and I certainly couldn't have gone on in my pre-op condition.

Good luck to everyone else having an HR - I guess I just improved the odds for you slightly. I am getting good care here, but my family just left for the night - alone with my own thoughts - trying to stay positive!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
Really sorry to hear that, Brian.

We do elevate the HR over the THR, for good reasons, I think, but if you see our THR hippies here, they are doing great.

I know it's not what you wanted or expected, but at the least they found the root of the movement and fixed it. It may not be the desired fix, but fixed it is. If it's a large head THR, then you will have a good amount of freedom to go back to being active.

Still, I get your thoughts and admire your staying positive. Keep in touch, we're here for you.

evant

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 04:59:26 AM »
Brian

Very sorry to hear that things did not turn out as you and all of us had hoped and believed.

As Hernan says many active hippies on here have THR's and they're doing good, really good. Quality THR's are just that - really good pieces of kit that let you get on with your life.

My nearest neighbour has one and loves it and is truly as happy as can be -. as is her chunky Labrador as he gets all his walks again

My nearest farmer (we live in a semi-rural area) has two - he's a very active 50 year old who absolutely loves both his THR's to the extent that he still doesn't understand why I had something called hip resurfacing instead of a THR!

Stay positive. Your rehab (number 2!) is important. Focus on eating / drinking well, starting your exercises when you can, resting when necessary (a lot right now), and working towards a discharge date from hospital. In your own time, and at your own pace, you know you can do it.

Looking forward to updates as you progress.

Best wishes from a very grey, Anglesey, Wales, UK.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
Hey Brian,
we had a friend over yesterday evening who has had THR's on both hips and is really happy with the outcome. It's a pity that you had to go through so much turmoil to get to where you are. I think you have the right perspective; any major surgery has a risk of complications but where  you'll be once you're over the hump is a lot better place than if you had left your condition untreated.
Hope things improve for you from here on out...
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Brian

I am very sorry to hear your cup revision did not work.  As others say, a THR is not a bad solution and usually people are still very active.  I am sorry to hear that you have problem with the acetabular cup.  Take it easy and give your body time to heal.  Not easy, but hopefully, that will give you a well set cup and THR.

Please let us know how you are doing when you can.  Everyone is upset to hear when a hip resurfacing does not work out and new people always hope it won't be them.  Usually most people have excellent outcomes and it is very sad when you are the statistic with a revision.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Brian Wilson

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
Thanks to everyone to for the kind and encouraging words.

My best mate, whose 57th birthday was the same day as my surgery, had a THR 4 years ago and is very happy with it. He is a very good squash player and is right back at it, so he is very encouraging to me also.

I guess when a surgeon tells you about a great procedure and its benefits, it's natural to be disappointed when it doesn't work out for you. I have another acquaintance who had bilateral THR about 20 years ago. He is still going on them, but he tells me that he gave up all sports when he had them, so that is a little discouraging. However, speaking to my surgeon, I should be able to continue most activities.

My surgeon has me limited to 50% weight bearing for about 6 weeks so that the compromised bone in my acetabulum can have a chance to heal and the screws can get solidly anchored. However, I am already surprised at how much easier I am able to ambulate than I was post my HR.

My hemoglobin has been quite low since surgery due to the blood that I lost, so haven't been up much. I was given two more units of blood yesterday and am scheduled for discharge tomorrow.

Onward and upward.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:29:21 PM by Brian Wilson »

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
Onward and upward is right, Brian. Keep at it, you'll be in a good place once the recuperation is done.

whyme

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
Brian,
Sorry to read that your HR was not fixable, hopefully the THR will work very well and you can put this behind soon. We all have concerns with the things that can go wrong but still is hard to take when it does.
My mum has two THRs, the first done over 22 years ago when she was told to expect a 10-15 year life span, but still is going strong. The devices should be better now than then. But of course, the bone quality is key on longevity.

Regarding activity levels, well, you'll just have to find out with time what is the activity levels you can achieve, but first you need to recover from this, don't look too far ahead yet.
Keep posting up, we are listening!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

luann again

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
Hi Brian,
I too, feel your pain. This could have been any of us. It STILL may be, some day, especially for those of us show are young when we get our HR. You are actually an inspiration to me; you are a hip "soldier", fighting the war. Thank you for sharing and keep positive for your and all our sakes. It will be better for you soon. We will keep sending support and positive thoughts your way.
Luann
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Brian Wilson

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
Thanks Luann! Hip Soldier...I like it.

I am home from the hospital just now and, compared to how I felt at the same stage following my HR, I feel like a million dollars. I did the 15 or so stair climb to our MBR as soon as I got home no problem compared to nearly fainting multiple times getting to a bed on the main floor after the HR. I am also totally off pain meds. Probably not a fair comparison given what my body thought of the HR components, but, nevertheless, I feel as though I'm in a pretty good place even though I will be limited to 50% weight bearing for six weeks! I turn 56 Nov. 5, so I am hoping the current THR technology has a long life span, as I plan to be around and active for many years to come.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:55:59 PM by Brian Wilson »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  It is interesting that some people have a hip resurfacing in one hip and recover fast.  Then have the other done and have a very slow recovery.  It seems the body has it's own idea about recovery.

Anyways, I wish you the very best.  THRs are still good solutions to get out of pain and on with your life.  I have stories from very active THR folks on my www.hipsforyou.com  website.

Please keep us updated when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mike D

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »
Hi Brian,
Glad you're feeling a lot more positive about the THR.
I too, found out in the recovery room that I had a THR instead of the resurfacing I was hoping for and it's not easy to take at the time.
My feelings changed quickly when I realised there was no alternative and I stopped thinking about it in a negative way to the extent where I can say that one year post op, I'm 100% happy about my hip.
The only thing I don't do now is play squash which I do miss. I know I could play, but it's just my choice not to put my joint under the stresses involved.
I think that once you get past your weight bearing restriction, get mobile and feel the strength of the joint, you'll be completely happy.
I think most people with THR's on here would much rather have HR, me included, but when it isn't an option we need to stop thinking of THR's with dread and fear, it's a very good option.
Should I need my other side doing in the future, I would aim for HR but if It wasn't possible again, I'd have no worries at all.
Hope your good recovery continues, Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

luann again

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »
Yay!! So glad to hear that you are already on your way to recovery and doing better!!! Soldier on!!!
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat