+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hello I'm 7 weeks tomor post op still got lots of pulling/stiffness  (Read 3050 times)

Jaks111

When does this get easier I have just started walking without the crutches slowly but it's the pulling/stiffness that's uncomfy, I'm doing lots of walking how long does it last if that was to go away I would be fine.
Thanks jacki

Dannywayoflife

Re: Hello I'm 7 weeks tomor post op still got lots of pulling/stiffness
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
Everyone is different. I was a very very slow starter but its not a race! :-)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

whyme

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
In my case after 7 weeks I started to walk unaided without limping, any distance.
I could already walk without crutches from week 4 or 5, but still limping quite a bit and couldn't do it for long as the glute was achy after a few steps, so I hang on to the crutch until it was natural to ditch it.
Between weeks 5 and 7 I transitioned by incorporating "sets" where I didn't use the crutch during a walk, gradually moving from 100m to 200, 500... The rule was to use the crutch again when the limping increased and when the glute started to bother (getting tight).

Some days the glute still feels tight, and the trochanteric area, but generally I walk quite comfortably now.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Juno

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Oh Jackie, I hear you!! It's hard to be patient. I started walking unassisted with no limp at 6 weeks, but my hip and leg would tire out easily. I probably couldn't walk 2 miles without feeling fatigue in the leg until 9 weeks.  At 4 months I still feel occasional tightness, pulling and little weird sensations all the time. It depends on what I am trying to do --- I find myself attempting a movement I haven't done since before surgery and it can really be painful until my body learns to do it again ( think lunges, squats etc).  It does get better! Remember full healing is 6-12 months. From what I have read here some hippys are still feeling those muscles pull, reconfigure and develop well after one years time.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

keepmovin

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
Hi Jacki-

Ditto, Juno!

Jacki, Juno is right.  Sometimes it does take a long time for muscles to move smoothly again.  I'm on my second BHR and I'm prepared for what's to come - a lot of stiffness and aches before it begins to feel normal again.  My first took a long time until I started working harder to strengthen those muscles.  I feel it's in the PT you choose too.  I wish there were more qualified PT's who know how to address those issues. 

Stretching really helped.  I'm a yoga person so I sought out moves that worked.   Seven weeks is still early so try to be patient.  Although, quite frankly, that didn't work so well for me! ;)
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Jaks111

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:06:40 AM »
Thank you I'm actually starting a 12 week gym course today through my doctor hope I don't need that long, just hope the personal trainer there can advise on the best stretches for me.
Take care everyone.
Jacki

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
I'd just enjoy it Jacki, I had a good time with mine. It's challenging, but the benefits I had from it were tangible.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lauren Lee

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
I am five months out and still get limpy and stiff when I sit too long or get tired. Unfortunately, I do not even realize I am limping most of the time until someone tells me I am. I am doing lots of exercise specific to those muscles. I look great in a pair of jeans. :) My incision still is sensitive because the dissolvable stitches are still dissolving. Otherwise, I feel great. Still lots of recovering to do.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

tedroberts

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
Hi Jacki, I recommend that you get to a physical therapist.  I asked my Dr. who the best was for hip replacements and went there.  Among other things they had to get on top of me and
bear down and break open my stiff hip capsules.  I would have never have gotten my range of motion back without it.  And after they kick you out of PT find a trainer and work on getting even better (that is the part I did not do right away).  Good luck, Ted
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
I did that after my second also, Ted - home pt -> outpatient pt -> trainer (told her to integrate my PT exercises into my routine).

Now I'm doing yoga as a new addition, that's helped me quite a bit.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 04:03:50 PM »
Did you happen to get exercises post-op?

Many patients end up not needing any type of PT therapy, some do.  Most of Dr. Gross patients go without, he seems to feel that PT can cause more harm than good if they are not well versed in dealing with hip patients.

By 8 1/2 weeks I was golfing 18 holes with comfort. 

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jaks111

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 04:01:15 AM »
I just seem to be stuck at the same pulling/stiffness my walking is getting better, when I left the hospital I was given a sheet with excersises on, then nothing else maybe I need to find a private pt for a short time.
 Jacki

sharleen

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
JAKS - That's exactly what you need to do, get a private PT. Definitely worth the money. Make sure that you find someone who is cognizant with hip replacement patients. I made the costly mistake of getting someone who basically had no idea what he was doing in that regard. I also found that getting a sponge roller (recommended by others on this site) and doing that on a daily basis helped a lot!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear