+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: D-day quickly approaching  (Read 15860 times)

bosoxgordon

D-day quickly approaching
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
Well my surgery with Dr. Gross is quickly approaching. I'm scheduled for November 13 and freaking out a little bit. I thought I'd be ready but I find I'm getting cold feet. Ironically my pain levels are very low right now. I've been working on a building project carrying 80 pound bundles of shingles up a ladder with no pain. I do have some stiffness and pain at night but really nothing like I've read about or even experienced in the past. I hate that my pain levels are so low right now. It makes me question if I'm pulling the trigger too early.
To balance this out, when I spoke with Lee Webb this week she looked at my X-Ray and said my hip looks "terrible" and I need the surgery. I still would like to have the reassurance that only a painful hip can provide. Anyway, I know this is a common concern people have expressed out here. I just need some good feedback from others out here that have been down this road. Is this a common thing? What are your thoughts?

Too add to the pressure. I do feel pressure to get it done before the end of the year. We had some other unrelated medical expenses this year and hit some limits on our insurance. Basically if I get it done this year it will save us about $2000. After January 1st everything on our insurance resets.

Scott

Dr. Gross Left Uncemeted Biomet 11/13/2013

curtieman1

Re: D-day quickly approaching
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »
Bosox, I had same concerns a year and a half ago after I scheduled my surgery. My pain decreased considerably, and I was questioning why I was having surgery. Than I would have a bad day at work that had wanting surgery ASAP. In the end was glad to get surgery done with and Having no more OA pain from my LBHR. Only you know how bad the pain was when you mAde the choice for surgery and if you want to go through that again when it comes back cause you know it will. Good luck with your surgery and have a good recovery.
Curt
LBHR Dr. Anseth July 20 2012
RBHR Dr. Scott Anseth July 24 2014

lgbran

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:26:49 AM »
Hello Curt
Can relate . My surgery scheduled for November 11. My pain levels have decreased too. Feeling good but apprehensive. Finished work today and made  myself  unavailable until February 11. Working in the garden today and doing other tasks made me realise the  enormity of the operation and the simple things I won't be able to do for a while. All I know is that long term post op,things will improve and I look forward to being pain free and active once again. It will be worth it and it's a normal reaction to be a tad anxious prior to such an occasion. Good luck and all the best in your recovery
Cheers
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Juno

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:33:33 AM »
Scott --- I questioned myself as well. Don't just gauge your pain levels, but look at your ROM and movement. That will only get worse. Two months before my HR I was only taking Advil and an occasional diclofenac when I needed help sleeping. I worked out up until surgery and even walked disney world. Just remember we all have different pain thresholds so our stories are all different. If Lee told you your hips are terrible, she meant it!

In 3 months time you will be wondering why you waited so long to get the surgery! Yes the recovery is tough, but so worth it. At 4 months out I am working out, walking miles and have no OA pain in my right hip. It feels so good that I am counting down the weeks until I see Dr. Gross and have my left hip done! 6 weeks and counting!

Best of luck. You will do great. No regrets.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

sharleen

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
It seems ironic that once one has planned the surgery, the pain seems to ease and you question your decision. I can certainly put myself in that bracket. BUT then I went from being OK-ish to being a virtual cripple in a very short space of time. One thing is for certain and that is  the OA is NOT going to go away nor is it going to get any better! Everyone seems to live in denial for a while though until reality checks in. People tell me that I look 10 years younger because before the surgery I had PAIN etched into my face. It has all now gone and I feel as though I have undergone a renaissance! You will be back gardening and doing all the other things that you love VERY soon in fact look forward to bending down and picking those daffodils!

Staggerwing

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
Sharleen,
You are so right.  I have had coworkers tell me they can tell I'm in pain by the look on my face and I didn't even realize I was looking particularly different than ever before.  I'm 8 days from my surgery and like others, I'm not experiencing as much pain.  In fact, I'm off the pain meds I had been taking and doing quite well.  But, I'm not exercising nearly as much as before.  I'm doing enough to keep my muscles toned and that's about it. 
You are also correct that we have no other option.  The OA is only going to get worse and I can't wait to get the surgery over with and know that I am on an upward trend of healing rather than a downward trend of pain and despair!
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

bosoxgordon

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

This has been a very difficult year for our family. We've had some other very serious medical issues and it about used up any spare energy we had. This hip surgery seemed like more than I could handle at this time. Frankly, I also think I've been in denial about needing the surgery as well. I've never really been fearful of the surgery. What I fear is the permanent nature of this decision. Once done, I will forever have some sort of prosthetic device in my hip. It's in my nature and training to account for the worst case scenario and that's a scary thing when facing something like this at the age of 41. I have a 3 year old son and if this device lasts until his 20th birthday I will consider it a success. I'm hopeful that all of the optimists out here are correct and it will last much longer.

Surgery quickly approaching in 9 days and I'm trying to keep my courage up.
Scott

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
Scott, you are so close. All us hippies are hoping you see it through. Don't worry about the permanency because OA is permanent until you do something about it. OA of the hip has a much greater effect on you besides the pain levels. You have no idea of those things until after surgery. Once you get through you will be very happy that you stuck with it.
chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
I did my surgery with Dr. Gross in June, and maybe I'm just lucky but so far I've had no regrets. The first few weeks were a bit scary with limited ROM on the op side but once I got that back I've been feeling great. Of course I can't speak to how it will work over the long term but as they say "I believe there is room for cautious optimism."
You're in good hands with Dr. Gross and his team.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
Hey Scott, I understand your reluctance, no one wants a prosthetic hip, but then no one wants OA either.

It is a permanent committment, but it does address the OA, (which is permanent) in a hopefully complete way.

So far in three years, I have no complaints about both of my hips, the HR's positive impact on my life and those who love me.

In carrying difficult loads, I think it helps to resolve the ones you can. I know this will be more difficult at the start, but fairly quickly becomes a positive once, you're in a healing mode.

Once you're past the early stages, I found that I felt really optimistic despite the limitations. The pain is gone and becomes one less thing to deal with. I think you'll find it a plus even in the midst of other challenges.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:20:43 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bosoxgordon

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
Well tonight I drive down to Columbia in preparation for my surgery with Dr. Gross. I sure hope I'm doing the right thing. I'll admit I'm a bit scared but still moving forward. I know I will need to do something sooner or later and it seems as though this is the time for me to go under the knife. My hope and prayer is that this will last me the rest of my life. At the very least I hope it will at least last me until my son is out of high school. (15 years from now). While my pain levels still are not really bad, I have had some more pain recently. I have prayed at length about this and the door hasn't been closed so I will try my best to walk by faith through that door and trust God in this.

I will be doing the outpatient option and staying in the Residence Inn after the surgery. I haven't seen a lot of info out here about the outpatient experience with Dr. Gross. I will try my best to share my experience with everyone out here. I have a good friend coming with me to help during the first night and drive me home the next day while my wife will have to stay home to take care of our 3 year old. Let's hope all goes well and I can be up and running soon.

Scott

whyme

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
Good luck, Scott, and I wish you an uneventful recovery.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »
I'm almost 5 months post-op with Dr. Gross and so far so good, though I didn't do the outpatient thing, I was two nights in hospital.
The first few days aren't that rough because you're still in a daze from the anesthetic. After a couple of weeks it gets frustrating because you feel well but you're body won't let you do things like reach down to get your socks on. Hang in there, things will improve over time.
Send us an update when you come to the other side.

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
Good luck and good decision Scott. It's not easy, but it is worthwhile.

Keep us posted, I'd really be interested in your impressions of the outpatient treatment.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bosoxgordon

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
Well the deed is done. I had the surgery this morning. I'm now in the hotel, already had a visit from the nurse and had some pizza. My pain levels were fairly high when I first got to the hotel but the oxycodone has helped that. I've already learned it is best to stay ahead of the pain. I was very nervous going into this and probably won't feel completely settled until the recovery is done and I can start being active again. I truly hope this new biomet  lasts me well into my senior years. Lee Webb assured me that it was very likely I will take this with me thru the rest of my life. I will try to share my experiences with the outpatient option for those  of you that are interested. I was one of three that were getting thier hips done today as outpatients. The outpatient option was the one part I was more nervous about because I didn't have much intel on it. I asked every nurse and staff member I ran into about how this option has gone and they all say they've been very surprised at how well the patients have done. I'm not sure of the exact criteria Dr. Gross uses to offer this option to a patient. Obviously you need to be in otherwise good health and have a good friend or family member that can take care of you while your in the hotel.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know I'm here and doing well. I do have some pain on the incision area and groin pain. I've been told this is pretty typical.
Scott

curtieman1

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 02:05:33 AM »
Scott welcome to the other side. False it easy the next few week, & don't try to over do it. Give your new hip time to heal, especially allow for bone in growth. You've picked an excellent surgeon follow his protocol for post op exercises & you will do great. Don't be afraid to take your pain pills if needed, you don't recover faster when in pain. Listen to your body if it hurts stop what you were doing & next time back off a bit. If you have any concerns call your Dr. It sounds like he has a very good team & will answer any questions that comes up. Good luck with your recovery.
Curt
LBHR Dr. Anseth July 20 2012
RBHR Dr. Scott Anseth July 24 2014

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »
Interesting comments about the outpatient option. I think I met those criteria but still wasn't asked if I wanted to do it. Probably just as well, my bladder wasn't functional for the first day or so after the op and needed some help - which was why I stayed the extra night.
Like others have said, you're in good hands with Dr. Gross and his team. Sounds like you have the right attitude, ease yourself off the pain meds slowly and don't expect too much too soon. In retrospect I was worrying about things that have since cleared up. I guess that's part of the anxiety that we go through before and after major surgery.

Miguelito

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
Great news Scott! Good luck with your recovery. You have discovered the number one secret to making it through the first week. Stay ahead of the pain with the medication. Don't try to be a hero.

I am considering the outpatient option for my next surgery with Dr. Gross but I know either I would strangle my brother (who would be my helper) or (more likely) vice-versa.

Personally, DVD's of the Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy (my guilty pleasure) got me through the first week. Just hour after hour of mindless television. But you're probably a better man than I and are going to be doing something productive. :-)

And your quoting Lee Webb brought a smile to my face, because I know Dr. Gross didn't tell you that. I asked him the same question (how long) and he refused to bite; he would only cite the empirical data. He's the best. Love that guy.

Anyhoo, good luck over the next few days. Just get through it.

And it's a little premature, but that glue under the (amazing) bandage will resist any attempts at removal. It will just come off in its own sweet time.

Regards,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Marco Polo

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
Scott:  Welcome to the other side!  You picked a great surgeon.  Stick with Dr. Gross' recovery protocol and soon you will be back to the acivities you enjoy.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Juno

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
Congratulations Scott! I am happy to hear that everything went well. You are braver than me with the out-patient option! Dr. Gross offered it to me in July with my right hip and I just knew that I would want the catheter in place to get me through the night (LOL! Being female I will say sitting on the toilet each time is an incredibly tedious situation at first!). Between that an my low BP, my poor husband would have been freaked out :)  I already told them I'm staying one night in the hospital in 4 weeks with my left hip. We will do the 3 hour drive home the day after surgery.

Please keep us posted on how it all goes. Sending you good thoughts.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM