+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: LBHR in 8 Days  (Read 6822 times)

Staggerwing

LBHR in 8 Days
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »
I'm 8 days away from my surgery by Dr. Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic.  Time is flying by and it's hard to focus on much else.  I'm off my pain meds and trying to get to bed earlier than usual and hydrate as well. 
I guess you might say I am prone to some anxiety in situations like this.  No doubt as I walk in to the hospital next Friday I will be very anxious.  However, I will be excited as well because from that day forward, my OA pain will be gone and any other pain, weakness, sleepless nights, inconvenience, etc., will be minor bumps in the road to recovery! 
I want to thank Pat and many others on this site for their support and sharing, often very personal and private things with the rest of us so that we have a better understanding of the procedure and what to expect. 
I will update my progress and I intend to "carry the torch" by helping others in the same manner you all have helped me!
Nathan
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

sharleen

Re: LBHR in 8 Days
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »
Nathan - I can totally sympathize as regards the nervousness when entering the hospital and the inevitable wait before going in for surgery. You really do feel (or I did because I am a big baby) like the lamb going to slaughter so to speak. I asked my doctor if I could take some Lorazipam before going in. He agreed that this would be a good idea. It certainly was and I couldn't believe how wonderfully relaxed I was feeling and all the heebie jeebies had gone away. Anyway, obviously this is a personal choice but I think it helped me a lot just being "chilled out".

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
Good luck Nathan.  You are in good hands.  I was even nervous before my 2nd but it was not that bad.  They do a great job at Euclid Hospital/Cleveland Clinic.  I thought the body wipes were the weirdest part of the procedure, but that is just me.  You will be back on your bike by the time the weather gets warm again. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
Good luck Nathan, you're in great hands, the best possibilities without pain are in front of you.  It's not easy, but the payoff is great.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

whyme

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
I was also anxious but it's something to look forward with optimism, not fear, because things should improve. Good luck!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

lgbran

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »
All the best this Friday Nathan,
I am sure it will go well. I'm 3 days behind you my friend. Look forward to your progress. This site and other info has been the bees knees. Running around  getting everything in order. Will be sad to put the bike away but we will be pretty busy doing all the right things to ensure all goes well post op and before you know it you will be back in the saddle. Have a great week and before long you will be pain free and in recovery mode!!!!
Cheers Len

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Staggerwing

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »
Less than 24 hours to "show time!"  I'm feeling good as I type this. 
Yesterday I hauled several loads of firewood to the basement door with my 4 wheeler and a wagon.  Mainly lifting, twisting and setting he wood down.  I was feeling the pain last night.  A good reminder of why I need to do this tomorrow. 
Will update when I can. 

Staggerwing

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:21:37 PM »
Oh, and thanks, to those who posted on this thread for their support and encouragement. 

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
Good luck and keep us posted.

Juno

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
Just wanted to wish you good luck for today. I hope all goes well.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

whyme

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
I hope surgery went well and the recovery is smooth. It's not going to be easy, but try to get through one day at a time and focus on the improvements made, rather than on what's left...
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Staggerwing

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
Greetings!  I'm typing this from home.  Surgery went great on Friday.  That night I was on Percocet and oxycodone alternating every two hours.  My pain was a 2 or 3 on a 10 scale.  But, all that medicine caught up with me around 7:00 am.  I sat on the side of the bed and looked out on to Lake Erie and thought I would throw up.  Like motion sickness. They gave me an injection of something and that didn't help so they put a patch under my ear.  That knocked me out  I was pretty much debilitated most of the day.  I finally took it off.  I couldn't stay awake.  Had not taken any pain meds most of the day. At 1:45 I took a vicodin and went to therapy.  Very nauseous but toughed it out and walked 85 feet.  Forced some supper down and it came back up but that seemed to turn the tide and I began to feel much better.  I think I had one Tylenol over night and woke up Sunday morning ready to take on therapy.  Walked all over the place with crutches, up and down stairs, etc.  Went back and ate  good lunch and told them I wanted to go home.  They said ok.  Took a vicodin and made the 3 hour trip a piece of cake.  Slept like a rock last night, got up this morning, did my exercises, iced and relaxed.  Finally took a Tylenol around 10:00 am.  Minor swelling and bruising.  I know there will be some difficult days ahead but I'm taking it easy, not doing too much and things are going incredibly well. 
As others have said, Dr. Brooks and the Euclid Hospital staff are amazing!  I highly recommend them. 

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
The result sounds good, some startup issues with the pain meds.

You're taking a good approach, I'm glad the surgery went well. Keep it up and welcome to the other side.

keepmovin

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
Welcome home!

Sounds like you're off to great start - good to take it slow in the beginning - there will be work down the road! ;)

I had a similar reaction to in the hospital the second day with nausea - surgery was on Thursday.  They spent a few hours trying all sorts of 'pills' that were not working.  Finally, they did give me the patch behind the ear and it worked like a charm!  Once the nausea passed, I was able to eat and focus on my PT, I asked to be released on Sat. afternoon...after lunch! :) You must have been given a different kind of patch if it knocked you out.

Let the healing begin, and keep us posted!

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

lgbran

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
Hi Nahan,
Sitting in my hospital bed here waiting for the physio so I can go for a decent walk on the walker.wow what rapid progress. Can't believe how quick they so things over in the States. In and out and at home before you know it. Great to see you back on your feet , icing ass big time and on the other side. Isn't it a great feeling to have it finally done. All the best with your progress :)
Cheers Len

Staggerwing

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »
Yes, Len.  I'm smiling real big as I read your message.  We are on the other side.  I was sitting in my recliner this evening and I just sort of laughed to myself.  Why?  Because there is NO arthritis pain.  Zero!  Think about what we've all tolerated for years.  It's in the past now and any discomfort now is healing pain.  And that's not that bad!  Ice is your friend, Len.  Keep that up!

fenceman

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
Great to hear Nathan.  I too had problems with pain meds, Oxycodone, that made me sick during my first hip 5 years ago. 
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

lgbran

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
Hello Nathan,
 Sounds great rapid progress my friend. I am really tight on the right hand Side and near the scar. O.k when not moving but quite painful when moving. Leg just starting to swell. Stroller ok. Xrutches,getting used to them . Can't wait to get home. 6 days in hospital will be long enough.yep,your are right the osteo pain is gone. It's just the muscle pain and ligaments now and every 24 hours is a win win situation.Looking forward to getting the PT right and doesn't Time fly . As this rate of Knots we will be mammal before we know it (mamal) = middle aged man in Lycra)
Keep up the good work my friend
Cheers
len

Reno

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Hi Nathan-

I am glad to hear that things are going so well for you after your surgery.  We are practically neighbors; I live in Cincinnati Ohio.  :-)  My THR was 12 weeks ago, next Monday. And, I too, am glad to be "on the other side," now.  I will be looking forward to hearing about your continued progress!

Hern - When I was getting ready to be taken into the operating room for my THR, I said to my sister, "I'll see you on the other side," she gave me a funny look, and said no, we are not going there.  I was so anxious about the pending operation and actually concerned about waking up after the surgery, I think in some ways I really did mean, the other, other side...
 :-)

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »
Hern - When I was getting ready to be taken into the operating room for my THR, I said to my sister, "I'll see you on the other side," she gave me a funny look, and said no, we are not going there.  I was so anxious about the pending operation and actually concerned about waking up after the surgery, I think in some ways I really did mean, the other, other side...
 :-)

The first time, I was waiting for surgery (don't remember being wheeled), and some serious things were being applied by IV. I was a bit loopy and a filipino male nurse came in and told me he needed to shave me. He started to shave me when I piped up with... "Are you doing a brazilian???"

Poor guy looked really uncomfortable. I thought I was hilarious as all get up.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat