+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nova Scotian Investigating Resurfacing Surgery  (Read 2489 times)

gardener

Nova Scotian Investigating Resurfacing Surgery
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
Unfortunately this surgery is not available in Nova Scotia and the closest surgeon appears to be in Montreal. Can anyone tell me the Nova Scotia Pharmacare Policy on having this surgery out of province and how best to investigate it. I see there are some users from Nova Scotia on this site so maybe someone can help me. I have an appointment next week with a new orthopedic surgeon in Halifax, concerning the replacement surgery, but as I am only 52 I am not sure that is my best option.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Nova Scotian Investigating Resurfacing Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »
Hi

I am from the US and can't help you with much info about Nova Scotia.  I can tell you that you are still young and should be trying to have a hip resurfacing. I was 61 when I had mine and I thought I was too young for a THR.

I wish you the best and hope you can find a hip resurfacing surgeon.  If you have a little money, you can always think about flying to Dr. Bose in India.  You can still do that for about $10,000  He is one of the best in the world.

I wish you luck and hope you keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gardener

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Any comments on the surgeon from Montreal, John Antoniou. I would prefer to stay in the Canadian health care system if possible. I am concerned if I have the surgery out of the country who will follow up if I have problems with the recovery.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »
Hi

THere have been a number of patients of Dr. Antoniou post in the past on the Yahoo Discussion Group.  He is an excellent, experienced hip resurfacing surgeon.

Here is a fairly recent story
http://www.surfacehippy.info/richardcanada07.php

I wish you the best of luck.  Keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

gardener

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
I consulted this week with the local new orthopedic surgeon who recommends the hip replacement he can do here in Halifax this fall. He says it's the tried and true procedure that is his bread and butter, however it will only last me 15 years and another one will have to be done.  He has done resurfacing but not enough to be good at it and worries about femoral neck fracture. He recommended Dr. Kevin Orrell in Cape Breton Nova Scotia for a resurfacing consult, but I am not sure how experienced he is with the procedure and I am sure I will have to wait a very long time for an appointment. Instead I have sent my xrays to Dr. Antoniou in Montreal and am waiting to hear if I am a candidate before I travel to see him.

gardener

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »
Saw Dr Antoniou in Montreal this week and I am on his wait list for resurfacing.  Could take up to six months and paid for by Nova Scotia insurance.  I was impressed with this surgeon, confident but not arrogant. Very willing to answer my questions. He has done over 600 resurfacing procedures with one femoral fracture, his sixth case.  He told me the only advantage to the resurfacing is to  preserve bone for "if and when" I need a THR. Range of motion should be comparable between the two procedures.  He did not gaurantee much improvement in range of motion as I have severe osteoarthritis and my muscles are affected but he has seen patients of his do really well.. I have seen post-op hippies on this website with flexibility I haven't had since I was in my 30's so I am hopeful.

Jed

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
Gardener, greetings from Gaspereau. How did your resurfacing with Dr. Antoniou go? He resurfaced my right hip 4 weeks ago yesterday. I'm walking about mostly without a cane now, just stiff and hesitant when I first get up from sitting. Was speaking to a fellow in Windsor who was resurfaced 2 years ago and for over a year has been refereeing soccer matches.
Yes nice to come across another Nova Scotian.
Cheers,
John

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM