+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sore knee pre-op, post-op improvement?  (Read 5449 times)

PaddyG

Sore knee pre-op, post-op improvement?
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:22:21 AM »
Prior to my RBHR, I was MTBing up to 90km a week, but frequently encountered a sore right knee after about 60 to 90 mins cycling. I had noticed that my right knee was splayed out whilst cycling, due to the impingement and shagged hip. Am I right in thinking this was a large contributor to my knee pain? Anyone else experience something similar and did your resurfacing alleviate it at all?
TTFN,
Paddy

Miguelito

Re: Sore knee pre-op, post-op improvement?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
Hello! I can't speak to the mountain biking or the splayed knee, but pre-surgery I thought my knee needed a replacement too, and a few months post surgery the knee was close to 100%. I'd say 100% but I don't want to jinx myself.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

moe

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:21 AM »
I would agree that your knee pain is not being helped by the splayed action. Prior to surgery my knees would not track correctly while cycling, although I had no knee pain. Post surgery the knees tracked much better.  Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

whyme

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »
Hey Paddy, I had knee problems (on the external side) for the last few months before surgery, this seems to be gone now (but I'm only 2 months post-op). So the hip OA definitely plays a role (modified posture, loss of strength, referred pain...). Is it the only reason your knee hurts? Hopefully yes, but there might be some other factors. It's just a case of wait and see after surgery.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

PaddyG

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:42:48 AM »
Hi all, just wanted to give a brief update. Had my RBHR in September and the recovery has been surprisingly quick and easy. Due to the remarkably mild Winter we're having here, I've been out on my Scott Spark over the last two weekends. Nothing too drastic, just 10-12km along fire trials and forest single trails (including 15 cm deep icy puddles  ;D). Getting on and off the bike has been a lot easier and I can now clip out my right foot at will. Cycling action much smoother IMHO; no longer a splayed out right knee and no pain. Having said that, I haven't been out long enough to know for sure. All in all, it's great to be out and about on the bike again.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat