+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going in for HR surgery 12/18. Any pre-op suggestions?  (Read 1240 times)

johns567

Going in for HR surgery 12/18. Any pre-op suggestions?
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
I am cutting some weight and working out. Any suggestions on anything else I can do to make recovery easier?

whyme

Re: Going in for HR surgery 12/18. Any pre-op suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
That will help for sure.
I'm lightweight and kind of stopped most activities prior to surgery, but definitely a stronger upper body (and core, and the other leg  :)) will help you, particularly at the early stages (the first couple of weeks).
There are some suggestions of pre-op exercises on the website.

Also, prepare your mind for a long journey and do not "force" recovery at any stage. So far I haven't done anything with pain (maybe just mild pain or discomfort sometimes, but if it persists I would stop).
Regarding progress, for example once I started on the static bike (to gain mobility) few weeks post op, I patiently built up from 5' the first day, with high seat, lowest resistance, low cadence, to 30' three weeks later (adding just an excruciating 1' per day). Only then I increased cadence slightly and resistance (for example doing 1' in every 5' with the next level of resistance, then 2 days later add another minute out of every 5, etc.).
I started with the cross trainer few days ago using the same approach (5' the first day, lowest resistance, low cadence, then adding 1' per day, later I will increase resistance). In 3 weeks it will be 30' too...
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

Re: Going in for HR surgery 12/18. Any pre-op suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »
Hey John, welcome to the site!

There are many possible suiggestions. You're already doing some. Another would be to get your place ready for your recovery.

You want to plan for an extended time (2-4 weeks, sometimes more) of moving with two crutches, one crutch or a cane / assistive device. So clear the paths for wide access.

Another is that you will need to walk a good amount. So if you're in a wintery area, find a flat area where you can walk. I initially walked about half a mile after a week or so, three to four times a day.

You also will want to talk to your doctor about what they prescribe for exercise forrecovery, and any limitations. My surgeon contacted a physical therapist that was experienced for THRs for both in house PT, outpatient PT. That did me for about three months.

I asked mine about when I could drive and how I would know (he said - two weeks if you can get in, get out and move your feet without a problem).

I would also advise at looking at your kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom taking into account your recuperation.

You'll want to have chargers (cell, etc.) on a safe flat area that is reachable easily by the crutch bound. No having the cell phone tip over onto the ground from some narrow ledge.  I was on my own, so I put my most commonly used foods (eggs, milk, etc) on the top shelf in the refrigerator, towards the front. The same in the bathroom. You don't want to be reaching for things.

My occupational therapist had me remove my bathroom rug as a possible tripping hazard. Get a good method for icing your hip / leg.  I use my handy dandy cheap ice pack (TM), others have had great luck with ice machines.

Load up on entertainment. You'll be busy, but will need to be entertained when not. I used my bluray player, lots of new movies, my computer and my kindle.

Line up people you can talk to. One of the issues that all of us get is depression after the surgery. We are housebound, in pain and dealing with restrictions. Most likely it will affect you a bit, so we need to talk. This site is great, but also use your friends and family.

I drank a lot of water and took vitamins. I talked about that with my surgeon, so stocked up appropriately. Got a water container that was good for being in a limited mobility state.

Get comfortable shoes that you can step into and out of without tying laces. I took my sneakers and used elastic sneaker laces, so I could just slip my feet in without a problem (take them off easily too).

And just take it easy and trust a good surgeon. Good luck.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat