+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Night sweats post op  (Read 5975 times)

spike

Night sweats post op
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
 4 days ago I reluctantly had my BHR revised due to a mal positioned cup by Dr Schmalzried. Recovery is about the same as with both my resurfacings.
I am off pain meds and aside from being really tired, am walking well with a walker.
What I am experiencing is night sweats this time around. Last night I changed T shirts 3 times.
Anyone else experience this and if so, how long did it go on?
Thanks a lot

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Night sweats post op
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
Are you taking any other meds?
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
I had bad night sweats both times. They lasted about four weeks.

The way I figure it (the surgeon's office wasn't worried about it), it was either my reaction to the  anesthesia or to the tylenol I was taking as prescribed.

After four weeks for me, they were gone not to return (except for the second HR). I had no other side effect other than that, a good recuperation both times.

Multiple shirts per night was definitely the case for me, what I also did which worked and helped  me avoid washing sheets every day - I took beach towels and laid them crosswise at about thorax level. So one went across the bed, another straight up and down to my body.

That helped a bit, also cut down a bit on the precipitation (I think). Anyways, for me it was normal and went away, just not quickly enough.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Brian Wilson

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
Hernanu, my experience after my HR mirrored yours. I was going through at least three t-shirts a night and was soaking the sheets as well. Like you, I eventually started sleeping on a towel also. I wasn't taking much if anything in the ways of meds, so it may just have been my body recovering from multiple things, such as anaesthesia, morphine and the surgery itself. I haven't had any repetition of the night sweats though since my revision, touch wood.

Reno

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »
Hi Spike and All-

I had just the opposite response after my THR surgery.  Just prior to the surgery I actually purchased a fan for my first floor bedroom, where I am still recuperating, because I anticipated my usual night sweats to increase due to the anesthesia and pain meds.  The opposite happened! I had to take blood thinner shots, which were started on the day of surgery and for each day over the next month. The only thing I can attribute my mysterious total lack of hot flashes and night sweats to, was the blood thinner.  It was a wondrous month!  And, as soon as I stopped taking the blood thinner shots my hot flashes and night sweats came back with a vengeance!!!  WEIRD huh. I told my doctor about it and he said don't tell the pharmaceutical companies about it...  :-)

I hope your night sweats end soon.

Brian Wilson

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
Three and a half weeks post-op, my night sweats returned last night. I have been off pain medication for more than a week. I'm not sure what could be casuing this recurrence.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
Hopefully it goes soon, Brian. I've found that none of this recovery stuff is linear. No easily predicted pattern to things, issues are there until they're gone and gone for good.

:o
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Reno

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Hear. Hear, Hern!!!  I had no idea that this journey would be so interesting. Again, I am so grateful for all who have gone prior to me...

MattJersey

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 02:42:35 AM »
Dredging up an old topic here ... Last Thursday night, post op 9, and each night since (so 3 nights total), I had a sweaty night, one episode each night, dry off then back to sleep no problem.

In terms of medicines I was on same stuff as previous nights, maybe one fewer cocodamol tablet swapped for a paracetamol.

I'm trying to figure it out, and only possibilities I can think are:
  • I overdid it day time, did more walking than recommended. By "accident" I did considerably more each day than I should at this stage.
  • Maybe trying to reduce cocodamol and avoid them day time.

So today I am taking it mega easy. Do my exercises and nothing more ... Will report back.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

MattJersey

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
Will have a better idea after today, as have over done it I reckon. But last two nights have been fine, I deliberately drank a lot of water, and glass to bed. Woke up needing to pay a visit, coincidentally was probably just about to get a sweat on. Went back to bed dry, no sweat, and slept soundly.

So maybe water doesn't stop it, but by having to get up I avoided it.

MattJersey

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:20:00 AM »
I think it is the medicine that causes the sweats, but drinking lots of water helps a lot, if only by making one get up to go to the toilet and so wake up ahead of the sweats coming on.

I'm off all pain medication now, have been for a few days, and still getting a little clammy but not drenched, and usually I'm up to answer a call of nature before it gets going. Pretty sure the hydration is helping a lot.

surfhippy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
I had night sweats for the first few weeks as well. I believe it's due to meds and trauma the body has gone through. Haven't had them after 3 weeks.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat