+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any info you wish you had known sooner?  (Read 7565 times)

tonyp

Any info you wish you had known sooner?
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:52:51 PM »
New to the forum.  Greetings!
I have learned I am a candidate for Resurfacing.  Been reading the forum for about a year and still find the decision to be heavy and know it's time to chime in here.  I'm an active dude, 35, with FAI in both hips and only bit of cartilage remains. 

Anyone have any info they know now, that they wish they had known sooner?  Please pass it on.

Looking hard at:
Dr. Gross, I appreciate cement-less and his reputation
Dr. Prichett, nice reputation
I feel super concerned about MoM issues.

Thanks,
tony
alaska
Newbie, for now.

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Re: Any info you wish you had known sooner?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
Just that doing as you are told afterwards if you want a good recovery. Also the quality of life you get back I would not have left it as long to have it done and when I can I will get my left done not when I absolutely have to.
My Brother had his Left done when he was 35 he went back to Karate and has worked on his feet for the last 13 years and is still going strong so go for it and get you quality of life back.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »
I wish I had known that I had end-stage arthritis about five years earlier than I did. I would have had surgery at least three years earlier. All those "groin strains" I got from golfing that I thought I got because I was "out of shape" which I wasn't. I wish someone had told me that groin pain = arthritis in the hip.

I too was concerned about metallosis before surgery. It's your body you should be. People have absolutely had major problems. Your chances of having those are relatively small, and they are even smaller because as a male you are more likely to be receiving a larger implant, resulting in less edge-wear and less metal debris. That is all stuff I have read and been told. I am not an expert. But i do know that metallosis has not even crossed my mind post-surgery (last April with Dr. Gross, who I recommend highly).

Also I wish I had listened (earlier) when people told me to travel to get the very best surgeon you can. I ultimately did do that (from Boston, went to South Carolina) but until I made the decision to do that, I wasted a lot of time and mental energy pursuing less-highly regarded local guys. While I was looking at surgery locally, I was constantly vacillating between should I have the surgery, shouldn't I, worried about bad surgical outcomes. I felt immediately better when I decided to send my application to Dr. Gross. When he called me the next week (or two, I forget) all my previous fears abated and I knew I had made the right decision having surgery and selecting him to do it.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
I find there's a lot of advice on the physical aspects of recovery but not a lot on the emotional part. Knowing what to expect would probably have made it easier for me. It's not uncommon to hear hippies talking about post-op anxiety. Being anxiety-prone myself, I'm not sure I'm the best suited person to give advice, but I'll try anyway.
It's disturbing to think that someone has gone in, ripped your muscles apart, dislocated your bones and then drilled into them like it was a home improvement project. Keep reminding yourself that this was the only way forward given the pain and discomfort that led to it.
Post-op there are all sorts of aches and pains and limited mobility that you haven't experienced before. These have you worried about whether the operation succeeded or not and whether you'll ever be able to function again at the pre-op level.  Remember that these side-effects are normal and if there was anything seriously wrong you'd feel it. At 4 months post-op I still have to remind myself about that almost every day (and will probably post about it soon).
Things improve over time. Don't expect much especially for the first 6 weeks or so. The arthritic pain disappears immediately after the surgery so you're chomping at the bit to get back to normal but other things are keeping you back. I was fretting over not being able to bend over and put my socks on independently. It's good to have a helper to get you through the daily chores that you used to take for granted but find you can no longer do for the time being. You'll get there.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

tonyp

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:23 PM »
Thanks all!  This is really helpful and I appreciate it.  Feel free to keep it coming:)  I continue to read and to learn here.
cheers,

tony
Newbie, for now.

Juno

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Tony -- I would echo that it's bets to read everything you can find, both good and bad. Weigh the options and then find the very best doctor - the one that is most passionate and has done 1000's of resurfacings. Talk to that doctor, pick his brain, no question is irrelevant. Then just bite the bullet and do it! :)

In all seriousness as well, recovery is hard and it is a long process. I'm 5 months out and have had what many would consider and easy recovery, but I'm still working on ROM, strength, balance and am not near where I was pre-OA. But I am getting there with patience and time. I couldn't imagine attempting to run or do impact at this time. But I am spinning and doing weight work.

Know yourself, try not to be anxious (easier said than done), and be as patient as you can after surgery.
Best of luck in your decision.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

patm

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
I had a Right BHR in July by Dr.Brooks at Cleveland Clinic. His protocal requires you to be 75% weight-bearing for 6 weeks with crutches. I used axillary crutches for about 3 weeks before I got some "fore-arm" crutches which worked MUCH BETTER, more comfortable, easier to prop places without them falling down, easier on your arms, etc. In retrospect, I would have gotten them before suregery and used them the whole time.

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
I wish my surgeon had explained that it would be normal to feel sudden alarming clunks, shifts, and aches that defy explanation. This really would have helped me at weeks two and three just before my first post op visit with my surgeon. I was sure something had gone wrong with my surgery until I saw the x-ray was normal and my surgeon said all is well.
I had gone from totally upset to completely happy but I had lost a couple of weeks over these things I could have been prepared for.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

luz2014

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
I'm only a little less than 3 weeks post-op but my main piece of advice is:
Don't waste your time with inexperienced surgeons.  Find the best you can afford.  I read most of the new hip stories and then researched the top (experienced).  I'm only a couple of hours away from Dr. Gross, so it was not difficult to make my decision.  But, proximity was NOT a determinant factor. It was the whole package (level of competency, professionalism, organization, communication, they are just ON IT!).  Make sure you have that cofidence and follow Dr's orders faithfully and you will get your best outcome. 
Also,
1. If you can afford the ice machine get it and ice faithfully every other hour (none through the night).
2. If the narcotics don't agree with you...after day 3 or 4 IF you can tolerate the pain Tylenol x-tra strength should make it tolerable.
3. At night I didn't sleep well on days 3-6 I wish I had an Ambien to take for a couple of those nights to help me sleep through the night. 
4. Pillows are your best friends when sleeping at night. Get creative and move around your leg to give you different resting options.
Lastly, and I had a hard time with these last two...
5. Be realistic about the first 5 or 6 days.  You will feel very frustrated and limited as far as how slow you will be (concerning self-help skills). I think everyone can agree on this; it gets better!

6. Finally if you have people offer to help you, cook you meals, or any kindness, accept it.  It is actually a "gift" to be able to receive and not feel bad, or useless or like you're a burden.  You will have plenty of opportunities in life to "pay it forward" and bless others one day.  Best of luck!

somegypsy

• Hip Resurfacing with De Smet, 09 July 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 03:20:12 AM »
Hi Tony

Like a lot of the other responders....wish I had done it sooner..

I'm originally from Seattle, and whole family lives there, so I met with Pritchett twice....I got cold feet the first time and cancelled surgery, went back 3 years later, and finally elected to go to Belgium with Dr. De Smet.

I had resurfacing on my Right hip on July 7, 2013. From the first day my pain was better...and not because of pain pills...I can't tolerate them , so actually quit the hard cores stuff the morning after my surgery. Only did the anti-inflammatories received from doctor.

I used both crutches for about a week, and one for another week/maybe week and a half when going out of the house. Used two when walking through airport for safety.

My insurance took some negotiating, but they agreed to reimburse me after doing my surgery overseas. As I said to them, it saves them a HUGE amount of money. And the care is superb.....I love that you can see the doctor's surgery records.

Only downfall....food in the hospital!

I flew back to States about a week and a half after my surgery, but the other guys from the USA that were there at the same time as me, flew home four days after surgery.

You will be so happy you did it.... I was quite cautious the first couple months, but I have really little bones and was afraid of fracturing. Not any more! I still use a pillow between my knees when I sleep, and can feel my new part when I sit in some chairs and vehicles, but it doesn't hurt...just hard and I know it is there. That arthritic pain was so excrutiating and it is a blessing to have it behind me.

Good luck to you.

Debcoco

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
I had no idea what a BHR was until the Dr explained it to me during the office consultation. He said he was going to use it due to my age/activity level. One month later I had a RBHR.  I started feeling better the day after and haven't looked back...it's a wonderful feeling to be pain free.

I found the link below after I had the surgery. I'm not sure if seeing the animation before surgery would have made a difference, but I found it did help me understand why it's so important to let the hip heal. (there is no way I could watch the actual surgery)

http://www.hss.edu/animation-hip-resurfacing.htm

debcoco
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

brianebanta

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
Tony,

I was 38 when I had a rBHR, about 9 months ago. I was very lucky to have had a very easy recovery, that being said....

1. I wish I had known how short my recovery would be (in the grand scheme of things)

2. I wish I had known how much the new "lack of constant pain" would improve my overall mental state.

3. I wish I had know that BHR was even an option earlier!

4. That my activity level, and enjoyment of that activity, would be better than before surgery within a year.

At 9 months out, I am doing everything I did before, surfing, running, yoga, backpacking, ultimate frisbee, telemark skiing, snowboarding..... but I eased back into all of these and listened to my body and my doctor.

One thing I did know... don't rush the early recovery! 

-Brian

tonyp

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:48:36 PM »
Thanks All!
I really appreciate the feedback and it helps for sure.  if you have more thoughts - feel free to keep it coming.  I really look forward to being on the other side:)
cheers!
Newbie, for now.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat