+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Big Setback? Or normal?  (Read 4724 times)

gfunk309

Big Setback? Or normal?
« on: November 23, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »
I had a little incident yesterday in which I picked something up that was really heavy without thinking about it.  I'd say it was 150 lbs. and I was standing straight up, not bending, moving from table to table 6 inch apart.  I started to take the weight, then at a split second dropped it realizing what I had done (did not fully lift).  I heard a small pop in my hamstring and quadricep around my knee (left-operated side) and felt somewhat overworked in my buttock, but no real pain.  I sat down for a bit then walked around and it seemed like it might just be sore.  All in all, though, it did feel like something was off.  I came home and we walked the dogs (I did ~1 mile) albeit very slow and slightly painful in groin, buttock and hamstring near the end, which was unusual.  I came home and iced and felt a little better.  I had trouble last night finding a comfortable position to sit or lay down.  I fell asleep around 11, but woke up at 12:30 to a muscle spasm in my hamstring that moved around my entire leg.  Before long, both legs were shaking uncontrollably and I was going into a panic attack.  It resolved after 5-10 minutes and I was able to calm down.  Sleep and positioning were a challenge the rest of the night.  My area (hip, butt, muscles, incision area,etc) feel as though they have regressed 3-4 weeks, though I can still walk normally with a minor limp.  Should I have any concerns?  I feel like this is mostly just due to insulting the muscles and soft tissue that are still in process of healing, but wanted to see what the hippy crew thought.  Should I be worried about the implant?  I have to assume that many folks have a moment lapse of over doing it and end up fine and back on the recovery path. I feel fine just laying around the house with the ice machine.  Currently, I get a slight pinch in the buttock and have a little lower back pain where the buttock meets the back when I sit, whereas yesterday morning I could sit all day long.  i also have a gurgly sensation in my general hip area from time to time.  The timing really sucks as I have to sit in a car on Monday for 6 hours.  Has anyone else had a momentary lapse of reason and done something you regretted (with your hip)?  The problem was I was feeling to comfortable doing "normal" things. Thanks for your insight.
LHR Biomet Uncemented Gross, 10/7/2013

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Big Setback? Or normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about that. I can't say for sure but my understanding is that after the 6 week mark the biggest threat from overdoing it is fracturing your femur, and if you did that you wouldn't be able to walk.  As long as the pains come and go and there's nothing persistent I don't think the implant has been compromised.
I'd guess that you've done something to your muscles they're not ready for yet and you should go back a few weeks' worth of recovery exercises.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Juno

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
I agree with oldsoccerplayer.... It sounds like you just worked some muscles that were not ready. Rest and ice for a few days and let the inflammation reduce. If you are concerned you could have done more injury, send Nancy or Lee a quick email --- they both respond quickly and I'm sure can offer good advice.:)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

luann again

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
For what it's worth... in my first year lifting anything heavy (for me it was over 30 lbs or so) was very uncomfortable and "weird" feeling in my joint. I avoided it for a long time. Hope you are feeling better and everything is alright!
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
Well, obviously it's not the thing to do, but it sounds like a setback; you've gotten some good advice and I'd think (in my non-medical way) it's nothing more than just temporary.

If it keeps up, call your surgeon at any time. They'll let you know what they think.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »
It sounds like you might have strained a few muscles simply from the quick movement of letting go of the heavy object than from actually holding onto the object.  A quick movement on tender muscles can bring on temporary inflammation.  The only question I might ask is what the "gurgly" sensation in your hip area is?  Is this from straining yourself or a separate concern?

Six hours in a car might cause spasms in your leg if they're compromised right now so perhaps frequent stops to get out to stretch and walk might make the trip more comfortable.

Since this only happened yesterday, give it a few days of healing and rest.  Hope in a weeks time you feel better.
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

gfunk309

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.  I talked to Nancy at Dr. Gross' office and she said I didn't have any red flags that would indicate anything serious.  The fact that I can walk around and bear weight suggested the implant was fine and that I can avoid another x-ray (if I get any more this year I won't need that vasectomy in the spring!).  Had the implant been compromised or involved, I would probably not be able to stand on the operated leg.   She said their protocol for incidents such as this involves resting, icing, and anti-inflammatory meds with use of cane for a few days to let the muscles re-heal.  She said that they see his often and that usually in 5-10 days it resolves and I can pick up where I left off.  I feel bad for the dogs as they were getting used to normal walks again.  Lesson learned!  :o     

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:08:30 AM »
I agree when I crushed my Femoral head I had shooting pains and a pulsing feeling in the joint as well as groin pain and pain all round the hip. I unfortunately was able to walk which I think may have made things worse but what you have described doesn't sound like a fracture. Just Muscles.
I presume your ROM is good as well.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

gfunk309

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
Well, its been about 7 weeks since I last posted.  After the scare (above initial post) I went about 2-3 weeks of thinking I had really messed something up.  At about 4 weeks after the incident (at 10/11 weeks post surgery), I was able to get off the cane for a second time.  A week after that, I had my right hip scoped to smooth out impingement and debride the labrum, which was unrepairable.  I was on a cane 5 days post-op and now have 2 hips that feel pretty good (hopefully scoped hip lasts 5-8 years before needing resurfacing, if not longer).   Off cane for 3rd time! I have to say that I realized the worries I had over the implant were unnecessary.  X-rays looked great!  All the pain and discomfort was due to the muscles.  I still have some soreness on my lower butt (where it touches) when sitting on a hard surface for a while.  I also had some lower back pain that went away.  My recomendation is to not overload those muscles and slowly progress in strength.  The problem resulted from me feeling too good at 6/7 weeks post op that I didn't think I was lifting something too heavy.  When I talked to Dr. Gross, he siad that a pull/strain like that could take several months to get back to normal, especially since they were that freshly cut on.  I start PT in 3 days for the scoped leg and will get come advice for the resurfaced leg as well.  I am back to walking a mile or so a day and hope the hard part is behind me.  Protect that new hip!!!!! :D 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat