+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Incision issue  (Read 1709 times)

Lauren Lee

Incision issue
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call it pain...but it is uncomfortable. At 5 1/2 months post RBHR I seem to have a recent increase in the sensitivity in my incision and it feels like my hip is bruised, but it isn't. Where it was comfortable to sleep on the operative side, now not so much, but not impossible.  Some of you may know from previous posts that I had an allergic reaction to the dissolvable sutures and they are probably still dissolving. A friend of mine who had major abdominal surgery said she noticed that, at about 6 months the nerve endings in the surgical area were regenerating and she felt more discomfort. It has also been wicked cold here in Michigan so maybe the change in temperature is doing it.  I also still have a slight limp when I get tired...I don't notice it as much as my husband does.
I am still working on strengthening the muscles, of course, but should I go back to a cane until the limp is forever gone? I am also using the roller occasionally but find that to be pretty uncomfortable. Is any of this normal for my stage of healing? Thanks! 
RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

Re: Incision issue
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
Hi Lauren Lee, there may be some nerve regeneration, or maybe more activity is causing scar tissue to be worked out of the area.

If you're not limping all of the time, just when tired, I'd think you're ok. If you feel you want or need the cane, use it. I would think it's just that although stronger, your hip muscles are not where they will be in a month or two. It's a process.

I found that as far as the roller is concerned, I just bit the bullet and rolled it for a couple of weeks until it did become less uncomfortable. It definitely helped as a daily ritual.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Here's my theory: As your strength and mobility return you're working muscles in ways that they haven't been used much for quite a while, so the pain and discomfort might actually be a sign of improvement as they get stronger.
I say that because I'm also experiencing various aches, pains and soreness but usually after a workout where I try something new or something I haven't done for a long time. I'm about a month behind you.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

lgbran

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
Lauren,
Consider trecking poles. That's what I'm going to use when I can ditch the crutches in 2 weeks time. I have a roller but at 3 weeks post op, just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes

Given you have a reaction to the stitches and 5.5 months why not be kind to yourself and your body and use cane/treking poke/ every second day or so. Maybe physio or PT to advise on an minor tweek to get you back on track. All the best  in your ongoing recovery :)
Cheers
Len

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Lauren Lee

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »
Thank you. I think you are all correct and I appreciate your support.  I am going to use the cane when I feel the limp coming on (I never took it out of my car), I am going to continue the roller and consider some PT after the first of the year if the little limp doesn't go away.  I also think some of this has to do with not drinking enough water. I have never had any kind of surgery or major scar before and it is odd.... The incision is flat and I can hardly see it when I get up in the morning but by bedtime it is raised, reddened and tender to the touch. So I massage. Might go get some deep tissue massage as well.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal