+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any opinions on Dr. John Ready at the Brigham in Boston?  (Read 6714 times)

Miguelito

Any opinions on Dr. John Ready at the Brigham in Boston?
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »
He comes highly recommended from a doctor I trust. Uses the BHR. I am likely to go back to Dr. Gross for my other hip, but given the recco from a doctor I really like I have to consider Dr. Ready, especially because I wouldn't have to travel. I know, I know, I myself recommend traveling to the best surgeon you can, but now I have THREE kids (including a toddler), then there's the money, TSA hassle, comfort, convenience, don't have to drag my brother to South Carolina...

Dr. Gross does the cementless on both sides, and that appeals to me for its potential long-term survival. And I of course think Dr. Gross is fantastic.

On the other hand, I could hedge my bets by getting one cementless (already) and one BHR. I could be a one-person study!

Rambling. Really just looking for info on Dr. Ready.

Thx,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Jon

Re: Any opinions on Dr. John Ready at the Brigham in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
M:

I have heard very good things about Dr. Ready.  He did a BHR revision on one of my former running partners.  (Another local Ortho did the original BHR and really botched it.)

Ready also did some shoulder work for another friend which I understand went well.

My concern would be the number of procedures.  Always such an important question...

Hope this helps a little.  Maybe I could poke around a little more too...

McMinn RBHR, December 2011

Arrojo

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
My .02

I was not comfortable with him.  He is the 'token' BHR surgeon at Brigham and Women's hospital, the chief orthopedist surgeon for which told me horror stories of hip resurfacings and lawsuits and recalls, apparently mixing up the BHR with all metal implants that have had problems as many uneducated surgeons seem to do.  He (the chief, not Dr. Ready) told me I would never run again and that my only option was a Total Hip Replacement.

He (the chief orthopedist, not Dr. Ready) said when HR came out, the orthopedists drew straws and that Dr. Ready 'lost' and so was the one that was designated to do HR surgery. 

I did actually meet with Dr. Ready, and he seemed nice enough, but his experience is nowhere near that of Dr. Su or Dr. Gross.  I have only one shot at this surgery on my hip and I was not comfrtable using a surgeon from a hospital that seemed almost pathologically opposed to the concept of HR.

I understand the travel concerns, but NYC is a lot closer to Boston than SC.  We took the Amtrak there, I was home in 2 days.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:38:55 PM by Arrojo »
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Miguelito

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies!

Jon: I would love to know the number of procedures. My doctor said Dr. Ready had done a lot (and characterized it as the most in "BLANK" geographic area, but I'm not sure it was true, so won't give the area.) I really respect the doctor who told me about Dr. Ready, (and he did recommend HR for me) but HR is not his thing so perhaps he is slightly misinformed. Please don't infer anything negative about Dr. Ready based on what another well-intentioned doctor told me. It is clear to me that Dr. Ready does not hold himself out as someone who does a lot of HR's, whatever some other doctor said.

Arrojo: Yeah, considered Su the first time around (location [and reputation, of course!] as you said) but I don't think that hospital took my insurance (BC/BS Federal). Also, that is some messed up inside info! Would certainly give one pause.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

moe

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
Mike, if you are looking to stay close to Boston I would recommend Dr Marchand at South County Orthopedics in Rhode Island.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »
moe,
Thanks for the recco. I have heard of Dr. Marchand, always good things. Do you know what device he uses? I am biased towards the cementless (both sides) device that Dr. Gross uses (and designed). Though unlikely, if Dr. Marchand used it I would have to think about it.
Thank you!
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

moe

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
Mike, as far as I know he uses the BHR, don't know if he uses other systems. Good luck!

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Miguelito

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »
D'oh! I guess I could have read your tag-line. My bad...
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Jon

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:54 AM »
M:

I will try to dig up some more info over the next day or two.  I cannot imagine though that he has done more than few hundred BHRs...

Jon
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
He comes highly recommended from a doctor I trust. Uses the BHR. I am likely to go back to Dr. Gross for my other hip, but given the recco from a doctor I really like I have to consider Dr. Ready, especially because I wouldn't have to travel. I know, I know, I myself recommend traveling to the best surgeon you can, but now I have THREE kids (including a toddler), then there's the money, TSA hassle, comfort, convenience, don't have to drag my brother to South Carolina...

Dr. Gross does the cementless on both sides, and that appeals to me for its potential long-term survival. And I of course think Dr. Gross is fantastic.

On the other hand, I could hedge my bets by getting one cementless (already) and one BHR. I could be a one-person study!

Rambling. Really just looking for info on Dr. Ready.

Thx,

Mike

Late on this one, Mike, and I think the others covered things well, so I'll just throw some more into this fire.

• You want the best surgeon possible. You already feel right about Dr. Gross.
  • The three kids will want you healthy and happy for a long time. A successful HR will do that for you. Short term it's a pain, but you're ready for the recovery, so...
  • The money I get. Comfort and convenience are gone early in recovery, even when you are closer. I had mine done in the Boston area and still had discomfort.
  • TSA hassle is right, but we have to get used to that no matter where we travel. It's just the hips, ma'am.
  • Brothers are made to be dragged all over the freakin' place. Didn't you read the manual?  ::)

I'd go with Dr. Gross or Dr. Su. Evil sports teams in the NYC, but he's top shelf.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:05:09 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Munch

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
I second hernanu's thoughts. I traveled fr.om Houston Texas to sc to have bilateral with dr gross and just had both done this week. If you only have one more to go, you can get here on Tuesday, surgery Wednesday and home Saturday same week. What are 2 extra days compared to the years of your life you'll spend with the hip. Also dr Su seems great, and I have to say, I don't know anything about the boston docs you're considering, but go to the doc you think will do the best job (maybe Su is better for insurance?  Or maybe for 2014 you could switch to an insurance that covers dr gross?

Best of luck to you!
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat