+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Becoming bilateral for Christmas  (Read 9560 times)

Juno

Becoming bilateral for Christmas
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
I'm 6 days from having my second HR.  It's my Christmas present :) and it's coming right on time. My left hip has deteriorated much faster than I ever expected. The cold weather this past week has really caused me to ache and limp badly. I'm sure I've finally worn away whatever little cartridge was left!

While I'm not looking forward to the first few weeks of recovery, I am ready to move forward and a recovery that will lead me into a great summer. I'll keep you all posted on "the second time around".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:19:01 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

sharleen

Re: Becoming bilateral for Chritsmas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
What a great way to start the New Year! you will be thrilled! I became bilateral at the end of June having had my first one done in 2010. I had lived in denial for quite some time and once I made the decision and DID it I felt as though I had gone through a renaissance! 2nd time round I have found that I am not so paranoid about recovery issues I don't wake up any more in the middle of the night freaking out! It's over, I've Done it! Now 5 1/2 months on I am doing all the wonderful things that basically I haven't been able to do for 5 years. You are going to be So happy! Merry Christmas!!!!!

sharleen

Re: Becoming bilateral for Chritsmas
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
By the way my left hip ( the one that I have just had done) went from being bearable to actually rendering me incapacitated in a very short space of time, literally within a few months I could barely walk. I suppose that if this was "us" 20 or 30 years ago we would be wheelchair bound!

Juno

Re: Becoming bilateral for Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance! It has been amazing how quickly the left went down hill. This past few weeks have been especially bad --- I am walking with quite a limp! Excited to be done.

Granton

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
My second one (resurfaced in October) also went bad very quickly. In may I was climbing mountains and enjoying it, by mid-September I did not want to walk 100 yards on the flat.

All the best for your surgery.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Lauren Lee

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
Juno, You are going to rock 2014. Look at what you accomplished in 2013! Looking for a good report in a few days!
Lauren
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Munch

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »
Juno,  I have not had a resurfacing, but by Wednesday I will be bi-lateral too, and as you know, same place as you.  Take care and hope to meet you next week. 
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

Juno

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »
Munch --- good luck to you! I assume you are already in Columbia and waiting for Monday morning. Keep a positive spirit. You'll do great.

Reno

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
Hi Juno-

By now you are just two days out from becoming bilateral, joining good company.  The wonderful news is that you will soon have two good hips, which will get you through...  You already know what to expect...  And, you are going to have a fabulous future, unburdened by physical constraints!!! 

Merry Christmas and take care.  I will be thinking about you!
Reno

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »
Good luck Juno! I think today is the day, hope every little thing went well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Juno - By now I believe you are on the other side!
From one Bilateral to another - Welcome!  Hope all went well and you can now feel the relief!

Munch - Best wishes on your first tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing progress reports!
Happy Holidays!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

rysnowman24

1st Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
Hello out there. I am a newbie and am very nervous about my upcoming hip resurfacing on Dec 18th with Dr. Gross. I am a 28 year old male and am having to have a left hip resurfacing bc of avascular necrosis. I am extremely nervous about what I am going to expect living with this implant and have questions about how the implant is going to wear and tear over the years. I have been able to do minimal activity due to the pain. However, I feel like I am to young for this and that I should just call off the surgery. I know thats not the best Idea but can someone out there give me some insight on what to expect.
Left HR by Dr. Gross Dec 18th, 2013

China Lady

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
Dear Juno! all the best!!! soon I will follow

@ rysnowman24
I am also very new on this site, that's why my only advice can be: read, read, read.... here are great people with a lot of experience and we are all on the same track. I forgot where, but I read about some guys, all around 30. so you are not alone anymore!
here I found a post about pre-op jitters. believe me, I have it also
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/emotional-issues/pre-op-jitters/
..... I will find out

Juno

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
Thank you for the well wishes. Surgery was completed this morning....I officially have two new hips! Dr. Gross said that my left hip was a bit worse than the right (which was completed exactly 5 months ago). He said I was truly bone on bone.

So far so good though. If all goes well, I hope to be discharged tomorrow afternoon.

I'll touch back in later this week with a report.
Thanks,
Juno

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »
Welcome (once again) to the other side! I hope things continue to go well and wishing you a safe and comfortable trip home. Keep us posted.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
Great to hear you are done and ready for healing.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »
 ;D

Congrats Juno! welcome to the bi hippy club....
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Munch

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
Congrats Juno!  Sorry I didn't get to meet you this week. I had my left hip done Monday and right hip Wednesday (yesterday).  Tuesday walking with crutches was not so bad but today even with a walker it has been slow and incredibly hard to get up and down out of a chair.  Hopefully I'll get past this total invalid stage soon...man.  But the important thing is that both surgeries went without a hitch and it's done. Dr gross' team and the Providence Northeast Hospital have been everything I could ask for.. I'll contribute a more thorough account of all f this when I have more energy, but thanks to everyone on this forum for the great well wishes and comments.   

Juno

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
Hi Munch....sorry I missed you in group PT today. Unfortunately I ams still here at the hospital (was hoping to go home this afternoon). I had a hypotensive episode while in radiology getting my postop X-ray. I passed out and had to brought into the ER --- you may have heard them call a Code White---well, that was me! I woke up to find a dozen nurses and doctors standing over me, checking EKG, drawing blood etc. my blood pressure dropped to 75/30.

I am doing fine now...had to get another liter of fluids. Lee and Dr. Gross ordered for me to stay over one more night. Hoping to drive home tomorrow morning.

It sounds like you're doing well. Don't be fooled, this a rough surgical recovery. But we will feel better in a few shorts weeks.

Good luck!

Munch

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
Wow, scary but I'm glad to hear you're stable and can go home tomorrow. I'm still in hospital tonight and my wife and I move to marriott for tomorrow night and fly home Saturday.   I guess I'll get wheelchair assist for sure.  The bilateral is intense right now.   Good luck to you for a speedy recovery! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM