+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blood donation before surgery?  (Read 3044 times)

Debtenn

Blood donation before surgery?
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »
I am scheduled for BHR in mid July.  I have been given info on scheduling a blood donation prior to surgery.  Is this just normal procedure or did any of you do this prior to your surgery? Did any of you have to have a transfusion during surgery?
Thanks!

p.s. this site has been really great in reinforcing my decision to go ahead with a BHR.....I was starting to "chicken-out" prior to finding this site and reading all of your informative postings and encouraging stories.

Tarhoo2

Re: Blood donation before surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:37 PM »
Debtenn,

I've had BHR's on both my hips since 12/07.  My "team" recommended that I give two units of blood autologously for each.  I gave one for the first, due to the fact that I had a cold at one point that caused timing problems, and two for the second.  In each case,the blood that I gave was needed for my surgery.  In all honesty, BHR is a pretty invasive surgery.  I continue to have absolute confidence in the ability and competence of the medical team that attended me and suggest that you follow the recommendations of your doctor.

Best wishes for a successful procedure.  I'm confident, if you have a good doctor and a good team working with him/her, you will be happy with the results.  Please let us know how things go for you.

Jim

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »
Hi

Glad my website gave you some confidence in hip resurfacing.

You just need to ask your own doctor what they suggest.  My doctor did not require blood for one hip. Some do and some don't.  The best way to know is to ask your own doctor.

Don't chicken out if you need a hip, you will get your life back again and get rid of the pain in your hip.  Too many of us waited too long.  I did not want a THR and did not know about hip resurfacing until a few years ago.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

john

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »
Having two BHR's is the best thing I've ever done. I'm 5 weeks post op on the second one and feel great!. I gave blood both times and got it back right after surgery. I think it helped my recovery. Don't worry, you'll be happy you did it. Short term pain, long term gain.

Annatrk

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »
Hi , I also gave 2 units of my own blood pre-op and received them both back after surgery.  It helped!  I am 7 weeks post RBHR and sooo happy I did it.  It is amazing not to be in pain anymore!
Anna

Tarhoo2

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »
I concur with my fellow hippies that have weighed in here: I am totally satisfied with the results of my BHR's.  This procedure has given me a new lease on life.  Even between my two surgeries -- recuperating from one and having the other hip get progressively worse (I was on one crutch for my non-op hip the entire time between surgeries) -- I felt fortunate that the ability to walk (almost slipped up and said "ambulate") and pretty much resume a normal life without pain was being given back to me.

Big Bill

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »
Hi ....my resurfacing is scheduled for July 9th. I was asked by my surgeon to donate my blood(1 unit) in the event  that it was needed. I trust my doc and that is what I did !!! Best of luck ---we will be real Hippies soon! Please post the progress of your journey, as you very well know how helpful this wonderful forum is for the vast number of people who need to be informed. Again ...Good luck !

Big Bill

hollyk

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 06:52:23 PM »
I am 12 days out from hip resurfacing. My Dr. also had me give one unit of blood and I needed it back while  in the hospital..glad I had it ! Good luck..

marathonhippo

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
Both of my BHR surgeries were a little different.  Instead of donating blood prior to the surgery,  my surgeon saved blood during the surgery and a few hours later in the recovery room, some techs came in and used the existing IV to give it back.   For both surgeries, I was in just overnight and left the hospital early afternoon of the next day.  Before the surgeries, it would literally take me 2 to 3 minutes to work my way from a sitting to a standing position.  Very slow, embarrasing and painful!  I just got back hours ago from my 4-month follow up on the left hip (5 month on the right), and all is well, and standing up takes about 1 second.  I am almost back to full activity, walking, riding a bike, and even climbing ladders (which didn't make my wife too happy).  Best decision I ever made was to get both hips resurfaced.  I chucked the little tools and implements that make life easier after surgery (the reacher, sock putter-onner, etc) a couple of weeks ago, and that was a big step and made me feel much more like normal.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery (and don't chicken out - it's very much worth a few weeks inconvenience  :))

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

xocy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 05:02:27 AM »
That was fast! Who is your doctor. Is your full story on the web site?
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:26:48 PM »
Hi

Here is Alan's story  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories08/alanrhodes08.php

I hope I have it correct.  I post so many stories on the website, I sometimes get mixed up.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »
Dr. Gross uses Cell Saver too. I lost very little blood. The medical professional that actually does the work is called a Profusionist.

Mike

Bilat 6/23/08 and 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

martinbeef

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 09:53:26 PM »
dr. swank in cincinnati typically does not have your donate your own blood. he said he rarely has to transfuse and it's a waste. (his opinion). HTH.   susan

Big Bill

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »
Hi ....I posted above about the blood donation. I did not need it during the procedure. It was given back to me the next day. I had a good iron count and feel that recieving my own blood back helped ,if not medically....mentally! Go with what your Dr. tells you...at some point you have to trust someone!

Big Bill (C.A.S.H.)  Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat