+-

Author Topic: China Lady`s Diary  (Read 51952 times)

China Lady

China Lady`s Diary
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
I make myself home in the bilateral section of this wonderful site.
May I introduce myself: German, female, 56, living in China since 2006. Hobbies: painting and riding motorbikes to the beautiful countryside of China. Otherwise I am not sportive; retired architect.
My count down to surgery has started. I will fly to Hong Kong 02.01.2014 and the "theater time" will be 03.01.2014. Bilateral, BHR, same time, Dr. Jason Brockwell.
I am supported through my fantastic partner in life, Thomas.
I am so happy, that I found you all! Even, with the best partner at my side, sometimes it is great to have people like you to talk about the nerves, fear, what it takes to jump to the "other side".
Sabine
..... I will find out

sharleen

Re: China Lady`s Diary
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
Good for you Sabine! I have had both my hips done although a 3 year gap in between. So HAPPY that it's all finally over! You will be too. I am sure that having them both done at the same time Is probably the way to go. I wish that I'd done the same. It's not nearly as bad as one conjures up in one's mind, just patience!!!! That for me has really been the hardest part. you will be back on your bike before you know it! very good luck on the 3rd and please keep us posted
Sharleen

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Today I was riding my BMW G650GS, 20 degree C, blue sky and the last colorful leaves swinging in a soft breeze. I took in every moment to remember. This is my goal for comming spring.
Now, mounting my bike is like "a seal stranded on the beach". I always have, for the bystanders, an apology smile on my face.I dont know why I do this. It is not my fault. Sometimes I think: Hey you guys! Keep your pity and try to mount this bike with both hips gone!
..... I will find out

REM

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
Hello China Lady, I had bilateral 2 weeks ago and just returned from my first mile walk with a cane. Fully load bearing use cane mostly for balance. Deciding to do both at same time was definitely the right decision for me as I am self employed and I only have to deal with one recovery and it is going really well. Good Luck
left hip resurface Biomet Magnum 11/22/2013
right hip Biomet Magnum 11/25/2013 Dr Gross

Granton

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
Hi China Lady,

I am a bilateral, but all of fourteen years between! Am almost nine weeks post-op for the second of these.

I ride a BMW R1200RT. It has a very wide tank, so I had the same embarrassing manoeuvres to get on it, then great discomfort after about an hour riding. I am going to take it out for the first time since the op this week.

I remember that it was one of the best things after my first surgery. Everything felt so easy and smooth!

What a great new year for you! All the best for your surgery.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

China Lady

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:51 AM »
I ride a BMW R1200RT. It has a very wide tank, so I had the same embarrassing manoeuvres to get on it, then great discomfort after about an hour riding. I am going to take it out for the first time since the op this week.
be careful! I just talked to Becky, she will be my Physio Therapist. when she just saw me dismounting my bike in front of the clinic, she explained, that this sideway twist on the left leg is the problem for new hips.

this days I make myself busy with post-op preparations. today I went to the small supermarket inside our compound an made a lot of photos from all the items I usually buy. later I can order my groceries by mail. they deliver directly on the kitchen table.
..... I will find out

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
I'm wondering if the sideways twist is more of a threat to those who have a THR. The reason most of us choose the HR is so that there are no restrictions once you're back up to full strength.
(Just a thought).
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

China Lady

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »
As I understood it, it is only in the first weeks, later no problem.
This BMW Bikes are really high. Even mine with a low seat. Imagine, you want to sit on something which is as high as your groin. (I am 1.82m). You stand close to the bikes left side. Rise your right leg and swing it over the seat. Meanwhile your left leg takes all the weight und torsion, minimum 90 degrees to the left.
While riding, you stop at the lights, shifting gears ..... your legs are spread wide, you rise your feet/ lower leg to do this. That is even for a not disabeled person a strain of mucles
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:05:04 PM by China Lady »
..... I will find out

keepmovin

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Welcome China Lady!

We have a few things in common - female, 56, I am a bilateral, you are a soon-to-be bilateral, but I do not ride a motorcycle!  ;)

I am almost 8 weeks out from my second and to-date, doing great!  My first was done 2 1/2 years ago.  Although I don't ride, but I think I'm doing well enough to get on one and feel comfortable! ;D

This is a great site and I'm glad you found us!  We'll be watching for your progress report in March!  In the meantime, stay as active as you can and healthy eating to keep you strong!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

China Lady

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »
thank you for your nice welcome! March is only 11 weeks in the future.
I just read your recovery story. you do a fine job!!!!
..... I will find out

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »
Welcome to the site! As a bi hippy, I can tell you that having both done if you need it is a great relief.

Lean on us as you approach your surgery, we've been there and get it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

China Lady

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
For sure, I will lean on you all, I already do!
Today, while doing my duty as a housewife, I noticed how many different moves I still can perform with my damaged hips.
Pick up something from the floor with the knees straight
Bending and twisting while reloading the dishwasher
Carry a heavy load while watering my plants
Making funny movements to pull up my long stockings I need because of DVT danger
Leaving the toilet after use
Same goes with the bathtub
Knowing that I will have some restrictions after surgery, today I really started to notice what I do with my body without erver thinking about
..... I will find out

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
I hope things are going well and your preparation is proceeding as well.

Have a happy (western) new years and good luck on the 3rd!

China Lady

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »
I feel fine and I am still steady in my soul. When I notice, that I start worrying, I trained myself on the word "pothole". As a biker I know, that when you stare at the pothole ahead, you will hit it for sure. So, "pothole" means for me:
Raise your head
Look straight at the future
Be aware but go around

Today, one week later, I will be on the other side also!!!!
..... I will find out

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »
Very good attitude. I hope all is well, good luck this Friday (in New England).

China Lady

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
my journey starts this morning. today we fly to Hong Kong and I will check into the hospital. they have wireless lane and as soon, as I can, I will write here again
..... I will find out

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:01 AM »
Good Luck! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
Good luck and keep us posted when you can.

Miguelito

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
Best wishes on a successful surgery tomorrow!

I think it's tomorow (time difference/date convention always confuses me).

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

China Lady

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 10:35:07 PM »
6:30 in the morning, already showered and now I enjoy a cup of coffee. I slept very well last night and are in a good mood. everything will be fine! see/read you on the other side this afternoon! Bye!
..... I will find out

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats