+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Having a thick skin  (Read 22305 times)

Beth

Having a thick skin
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
After spending hours, upon hours, of reading all the great posts, articles, videos, etc. I find myself now defending my decision to move forward with hip resurfacing. I am a 50 year old, medium build, previously active woman who as been struggling with pain for over 4 years. I had hip arthroscopy for labral tears/FAI  Left- 5/14/12, R 8/27/12. The surgery and recovery was difficult and sadly my ortho found the my hips were much worse than the hip xrays revealed. I was never able to fully return to running (5ks, no marathons) and I recently left my job as a RN as I was simply unable to be on my feet for hours at a time. My ortho referred me to Dr Brooks (at the Cleveland Clinic) for hip resurfacing. My appointment which can't come soon enough is 1/10/14.
I was at a holiday gathering last night at my sister's house. One of the attendee's was a local orthopedic surgeon (spine only) in a large orthopedic practice. He overheard me explain hip resurfacing and stopped me mid-sentence. For 10 minutes he lectured me on why I shouldn't have a HR and instead proceed with a THR. He caught me off guard and could really only say that I thanked him for his concern and I understood the arguments but I felt I had researched the decision and felt comfortable with it. He then quoted the recent UK article and said "If this is such a great surgery, then why have so many surgeons quit doing it?.. Because it fails and patients end up with another surgery-the one they should had have to begin with, a THR".
Uggh....so happy to have found everyone here!
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Having a thick skin
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »
Most orthopedic surgeons will tell you the same thing.  They either can't do the hip resurfacing surgery because it is very difficult or have not taken time to read the national registries which show great outcomes for the right candidates.

No point arguing or feeling bad.  It cost me $200 each to visit 4 surgeons and have them tell me the same thing.  Many think you are crazy.  You would think educated professionals like surgeons would keep up with technology, but they simply don't.  It is a lot of work.

If Dr. Brooks thinks you are a good candidate, then worry no more.  Unless a surgeon does both THRs and hip resurfacing, they are not going to be a fair judge of what is best for you.

Listen to that little voice inside that will tell you what will be best for you.

My BHR is almost 8 years old and I have had no problems as many of the 125,000 folks with BHRs have also experienced.

Listen to the folks here.  They are supportive and have been there and done that!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
Hip resurfacings do fail A LOT!  That being said, they fail a lot when inexperienced doctors perform HR surgery.  I wish Pat would post in 144 point font on the home page of this site what her and I have been saying for years, PICK AN EXPERIENCED SURGERON AND YOU WILL GET GREAT RESULTS!.

In the hands of a skilled surgeon the hip resurfacing device is a lifestyle saving device.  Ask Dr. Brooks what his 5 year HR survivor rate is.  Ask any skilled HR doctor and they will tell you anywhere from 97% on up.

Your doctor friend only knows part of the story, but that is ok.  Next time you see your doc friend, ask him if he knows that many doctors have 97+ % rates of survivorship.  Oh and ask him if his back surgeries end up with 97+ % positive results, I am dying to know the answer on that one.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

grapesintx

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »
Hi Beth!

I'm not too far behind you, and I'm traveling to SC to have Dr Gross do my surgery in Feb.  I feel 100% confident with my decision.  I know I wouldn't feel so confident with the local orthopedic surgeon that told me he "would do a resurfacing" but I'd have the same results with a THR.  I just hope that Dr is at next years holiday gathering and you can show how amazing your results are!!

Lorie
RHR Biomet Tri-Spike Magnum 50/44  Dr Gross  1/22/14

China Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »
Dear Beth
The same discussion I have had 2 month ago. I also was told from a german doctor that I am crazy to do it in this "young" age. I should wait minimum 5 years. When I told him that I am in pain and hardly can walk anymore he adviced the injections. Then I send him the link to BHR and asked if he knew this system, I got the same lecture like you.
For me the decision for BHR is the right one and I feel good.
..... I will find out

Arrojo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »
Fyi, I will be running the Boston Marathon next April on my shiny 2-year old BHR.  Thanks to this site and Dr. Su.  I would happily throw that back into any smug anti-HR orthopedist's face.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

sharleen

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »
Arrojo - you hit the nail on the head! Going from molehills to mountains ! I was telling a friend today that I actually feel happy for the first time in years. I know it's because the pain of OA is a distant memory and it's OVER for good. I finally have a life with no restrictions! Happiness prevails!

Beth

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
Thank You all for your supportive replies...I know I am in AMAZING company here!
 I'm smiling despite the pain!!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:00:58 PM by Beth »
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Juno

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:42:50 AM »
Hi Beth,

I want to say hello and welcome you to this great website. It's a hard road....and yes, like everyone here I feel like I've heard it all....from you're too young to just get a THR. You'll be in good hands with Dr. Brooks. I am having my second hip done tomorrow and can tell you having the Firestone done was a Godsend. You will be so glad you did it and can then educate all the naysayers!
juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

China Lady

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »
Juno, I will be with you tomorrow. Thumbs up!
..... I will find out

keepmovin

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
Hi Beth,

I also had a orthopedic spine Dr. tell me the same thing!  I was in to see him concerning back issues, but once he heard me mention my resurfaced hip, he made it perfectly clear that it was the wrong move to make and proceeded to back up his opinions with unfounded data and wrong assumptions. 
I walked out at the first opportunity.

On the other hand, a number of hip surgeons I met with respectfully declined their opinions about the procedure and simply thought I should stick with the THR.

I had both hips done by an experienced surgeon and I am very happy with my decision.

Glad you have a thick skin!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat