+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First time back on the bike post-op  (Read 8088 times)

Granton

First time back on the bike post-op
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
Nine weeks since op. First time out on the bike since about May.

I stopped when it became too uncomfortable - the wide tank on a BMW R1200RT did not help, and was not confident that my leg had the strength to hold it up in some circumstances.

It felt just great. I could swing my leg over the bike to get on - this had become impossible. I am only 5 ft 8 in and with short legs. I used to clamber on via the foot pegs.

Riding felt very comfortable and worry-free. A joy, as it should be!
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Mike D

Re: First time back on the bike post-op
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Nice one Granton, good to hear you're enjoying the bike again.
I had the same issues as you when I first got back on-mine's a heavy bike too (GS1000), but my hip now feels so strong holding the bike up, no problem.
I was also climbing on the bike across the pegs but like you I can easily get my leg high enough to get on properly and no worries about holding it up either. Happy biking!
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

whyme

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Congratulations Granton, glad you enjoyed! That's very brave indeed. I'm over 12 weeks out and have no burning desire to get on my bicycle, afraid of falling ... Well, not really afraid, but I can wait.

Keep us posted, for example when you pop the first wheelie on your motorbike! :-)
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

China Lady

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
Granton! I feel with you!
To mount my bike again without looking like a walrus rolling over the seat is my goal on the horizon.
I live in Suzhou, China, normally the riding season never stops. Next year, maybe April, I will call for a "Season Opening Ride". The season I will open is "the rest of my live".
..... I will find out

Granton

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:47:29 AM »
Keep us posted, for example when you pop the first wheelie on your motorbike! :-)

Not going to happen! Wrong bike, wrong rider. It's a tourer and so am I, my fun is doing long relaxing rides (on proper roads) round Britain, France and Spain. I doubt I will ride again until the spring, but I wanted to try it and to give the bike a little run.

I am very aware of the enhanced risk of fractures until the bone has had time to strengthen, but I did get Mr McMinn's reluctant OK to do so "if you must".

When I had my other hip done, I had to get back to work as soon as possible (self-employed) and a bike was how I normally got to work. At about two months post-op, I had one of my very few get-offs, after hitting black ice. I landed on my operated hip but, apart from some bruising, all was well. Lucky, I know, but it shows we are not made of bone china!

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Some Dude

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 03:14:26 AM »
Nice !  8)

China Lady

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »
Not going to happen! Wrong bike, wrong rider. It's a tourer and so am I, my fun is doing long relaxing rides (on proper roads) round Britain, France and Spain.
You are welcome! If you ever come to China, we have enough Touring Bikes! Only sometimes I cannot promise perfect road conditions. We have a lot construction sites
..... I will find out

China Lady

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
soon, soon ...................... I can hear it calling!
..... I will find out

petemeads

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
I had to get my old Honda 125 step-through MOT tested today so that was my first ride at 20 weeks, no problem for me or the bike!
Given that I had all my gear on, I then got the R1200RT out of the garage, persuaded it to start (not ridden since September) and went around the lanes for half an hour - OK, but it does seem a bit big and heavy now (I lost a stone a couple of years ago to help the worn-out hip last a bit longer) and may be it is time to trade down to a 650...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear