+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Silliest thing anyone has said to you?  (Read 2891 times)

Miguelito

Silliest thing anyone has said to you?
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
What's the silliest/stupidest thing anyone has said to you about your arthritis (or other related ailment)/HR/THR?

I ask because I was out for holiday cheer with a friend of mine the other day and I casually mentioned that I would be having my other hip done in the Spring (my foot is also booted due to an unrelated Achilles issue). He replied that he thought it was all in my head. I offered to show him the x-ray that showed no cartilage in my hip socket but he remained unconvinced.

I let it go because I wasn't going to change his mind (and he's also going through a divorce...). We had gone over the same ground prior to my first hip-surgery when he was trying to get me to read some book by some quack that everything is in your mind (and also your parents fault or something). His unwillingness to validate my experience (damnit!!! :-)) really irritated me and we barely talked for a couple of years, but I'm getting older and good friends (which he is) do not come around as often as they used to, so I make allowances. As an aside he is also a 9/11 truther, so... All of my other friends are mostly normal and boring like myself. I allow myself one crazy friend, I guess.

I could digress into the psychology of conspiracy theorists, but want to stick with my original question.

Thx,

Mike
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:11:04 AM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Juno

Re: Silliest thing anyone has said to you?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
Mike...I've had several people say to me, "so you're not having a hip replacement so this will be easy". No matter how hard you try to explain to these people that a hip resurfacing is still a metal joint replacement and is bone-sparing, they just don't get it! A co-worker had a THR last summer and he keeps asking me why I just didn't get a THR. I've explained the procedure and reasons to him at least 4x --- just doesn't get it.

Drives me crazy.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
"You'll have to give up playing soccer"
That's what the THR surgeon told me before I thankfully heard about HR from my chiropractor.
Contrast that with Dr. Gross
"You can go back to soccer after 6 months"
I'm a bit over month away from that landmark. Can't wait....
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Granton

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
"Do they give you a card to show when you set off the airport metal detector?"

Err, I think Al Qaeda could probably come up with one of those.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Lauren Lee

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
David, they DID give me a card to show the TSA!
To answer the question people have mentioned that"the recovery is probably easier than a THR." Most of the time they get curious and then I educate. I am amazed at all the younger people who have arthritis and/or have worn out their joints!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Granton

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »
David, they DID give me a card to show the TSA!

I bet they are really impressed when you show it and hurry you through with no checks!   :)
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

whyme

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
When I was 15 I went to a consultant, as my shoulders moved in weird ways. He told me I had hypermobility, but "this is very good because your tendons stretch but will not break". That was silly.

When I was 20 something I had the first episodes of "hip pain", the first consultant said it was trochanteritis, that was silly. Then a second one told me "what you have is dysplasia in both shoulders and hips". I failed to understand the consequences of that. I was silly. The other doctors dismissed him. They were silly! (20 something years on, I've had surgery in both shoulders, one hip replaced, the second is on the way).

My friends (and family) always thought I was a moaner, making up injuries, etc. They were silly.
:-)
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

luann again

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
These are great! What a fun topic! I know I've heard some silly stuff. I bet anyone who had a HR under the age of 70 has heard "But you're too young to have that happen!"
I aways say that I guess my hip didn't get the memo!
And I got a card to show at airports, too! Ha! They don't even want to hear my explanation verbally let alone see a card! I just enjoy my cheap thrill (aka- frisk!) :)
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Lauren Lee

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
Come to think of it...30 years ago when I first tore my labrum in a snowmobile incident...the doc said "It's a groin pull...like football players get." Back then they really had no way of diagnosing what the real deal was, so I guess it wasn't all that silly. Of course NOW I know the moment my journey to hip resurfacing began.  Sure wasn't funny for all those years. We've come a loooooong way.
And yes...I hope the TSA looks at my little card and sends me right on through! :)
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Baby Barista

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:43 AM »
Going through security at Sea-Tac airport. This is verbatim what was said:

ME: I have metal hips, I'm going to set this thing off.
TSA: Ok, c'mon through.
<<BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!!!>>
TSA: Alright, are you wearing a belt sir?
ME: Uhhhh, so like I was saying...
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Some Dude

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »
You had a metal on metal hip fail ?  I saw on tv you can get a huge settlement, you can probably settle out of court for a million dollars or so, have you called those guys ?   ....yeah....... I called em chief, I'm expecting a truckload of cash any day... ::)

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 04:54:38 AM »
First one was when I was 4 and was limping badly due to LCPD. My family Doctor told me to stick my back side in before someone kicked it in. The next GP I saw straight away sent me to the Hospital thinking I may have Perthes.

The only other thing that people have said is if you lose weight it will get better.
If I had not been as big as I am then maybe I would have had my problems later but I don't think losing weight makes Cartlidge regrow.
Another stupid thing was the Doctor who fondled my balls and said I had a Hernia when I really had an Arthritic right hip.
I too have had the are you sure you have arthritis question. So I answer of course not I just thought it would be fun to get chopped about a bit.

By the way I am a mere slip of a lad now slimmed down to a mere 237 lbs I was 270lbs and guess what my Left hip is still getting worse.

Before people think I am a fat git I would like to point out I have got my Rugby playing body back. (not that I play anymore because that would be naughty).
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat