+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Walk-through Metal Detectors at airport  (Read 6166 times)

chuckm

Walk-through Metal Detectors at airport
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:17 PM »
Next week I will be flying with my wife and kids. How much does security hassle you at the metal detector? Does anyone have any advice that will help get through without a big deal?
It's a US domestic flight.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

bluedevilsadvocate

Re: Walk-through Metal Detectors at airport
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
I have flown both domestic and international flights, and I have never had any significant hassle.  I just tell the security people before I go through that I have a metal hip, and it's really not an issue.

Happy flying!
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:00:33 PM »
As was said, as soon as you walk up tell them you have a hip implant and that you will set off the detector.

At some airports you will end up with quite a frisking, probably the most erotic frisking you will ever get  LOL

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Lauren Lee

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
My doc gave me a card stating that I am the proud recipient of a BHR with his contact info. I don't know how effective it will be in helping to avoid a frisk.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

OtterDriver

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:18:16 AM »
Hello Chuck -

As a fairly frequent flyer...and one who doesn't like the idea of going through anymore X-rays than I already do...my routine consists of the following.  As I'm taking belt, shoes, etc. off and loading the trays, I tell a TSA agent that I will be "opting out" (not going through the scanner) and would like a "male assist" (pat down search).  They put the call out and I'm usually met fairly quickly by some guy donning gloves.  It's over before you know it and you're on your way again!

Have a safe trip...hopefully somewhere fun!?

Bruce

Granton

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
If you tell them about the hip, they use an electronic "wand" to check the location and / or pat you down. Once, when I told them about it before the detector, they sent me straight to the body X-ray machine which are now appearing at airports.

It's not a big hassle, just part of the joy of travelling. I am flying from UK to Australia on Friday, so I'll get plenty of that!

I cannot see any point in being given (or trying to use) a printed card.

Bon voyage!
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

fenceman

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
The card does not help because the TSA agent told me they could be faked.  If you have the option, go though the body scanner.  The implants do not set it off.  If you have to go through the metal detector let them know you have a metal hip before you walk through and leave enough time to be frisked.

Have a good trip.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:53:34 AM by fenceman »
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

jack

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
I recently flew on 4 different flights. I never told them and no mention was made by TSA of anything. Went right through with no issue. Mine is a 56mm BHR so its on the large side too.
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

chuckm

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the responses. I guess it's not that big a deal really. No one has posted any horror stories (yet).
I'm off to Orlando. I have to fulfill my parental obligation and get the kids to Disney World while they are young.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Miguelito

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
Good luck! No real horror story, but I warn people who are flying home immediately after surgery to not let a TSA agent touch the incision site. I said "yes" when one asked if they could touch me and it hurt like hell. I did not expect he would have been stupid enough to touch the incision site after I had already told him I was flying back home after a hip replacement. I thought about filing an official complaint (as well as clocking him), but ultimately did not as I am sure it would not have accomplished anything.

Merry Christmas!

Mike
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:39:38 AM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »
I just went through security today. I told them about the implant so they sent me to the line that has the newer-style screening machine, so no issues.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

woldaudio

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
I always get the "pat down" after going through the X-ray.

whyme

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
I passed through 6 metal detectors at airports in the last 2 weeks, ranging from little hassle to nothing. Generally they seem to be aware of hip replacement. Of course, the younger you look the more surprised they will be. That is my case, ha ha!
In a couple of checks, one guy told to the other "another hip!", so they follow some sort of procedure.
Now I always take my shoes off before they ask.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

kimberly52

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
I just flew international to Greece and Italy and over the course of 2 weeks I was on 10 different flights with 4 different airlines.  The worst or however you look at it the best thing to happen to me was to get patted down.  Only once did I have to go into the x-ray machine.  I don't have a card from the doc; he told me beforehand that it is useless with TSA.  I just told them what I had and they gave me the mini massage.  I jokingly thanked them for the rub down and was on my way.

Happy flying!
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

KevinLHitt

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 09:39:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

I travel quite a bit and let me tell you something unbelievable: I have yet to set off a metal detector with my metal-on-metal Cormet resurfaced hip! True story. I have done full body scanner and regular metal detector... nothing.

Quick story:  Walking up to one of security checkpoints, I told them I had a resurfaced hip.  They walked me through the detector and it went off.  They put me in a holding area and I waited.  When the male TSA agent walked up to search me, I walked through the detector again and... NOTHING.  It was my jacket that set it off, as I had taken it off after the first walk-through.

So... I dont know why, but my hip doesnt set off any of the devices used.

Note:  TSA doesnt recognize any medical cards.

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
Just back from Norway Normal routine take shoes off ready walk through get bleep point to hip get frisked then hand held scan. Then off you go. No Probs. Got a woman frisking me in Norway so that was a bonus.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Arrojo

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
I always try and go through the full body scanner if possible.  Otherwise I set off the metal detector and get the pat down.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »
I did set off the metal detectors at the Dept. of Homeland Security office I had to go to just a couple of weeks post-op. I think the agents there were more laid back than the ones at the airport. I told them about my surgery and showed them the scar, then when they asked me to remove my shoes (even though I was only wearing flip-flops) I told them I couldn't bend down that far because of the surgery. They just smiled and waved me through.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

patm

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
I had surgery last July. In October we flew out to California ( from Ohio) on the way out we stood in the long line and I went through the scanner. Coming back we were pre-approved for the " fast lane" with the metal detector. I kept setting it off and we couldn't figure out why until my husband suggested that maybe it was my hip. ( this is how much you can forget that you actually even had tis surgery 3 months before) so I got the pat- down- which really is fine - the gal was very nice.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear