+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swelling Pain & Stiffness  (Read 9392 times)

Kevin Warr

Swelling Pain & Stiffness
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
Hello All

I have just had my BHR done 7 days ago. I have swelling from the hip down to my foot. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue.
Also I find when I sit in a chair or lie down I don't have many pain issues but as soon as I stand , try and walk and do exercise I find a real tightening in the front groin area and it feels like someone is ripping the muscle. Not very pleasant........I was hoping the pain would have eased a little more at this point. Does anyone have any other exercise I can do to try and loosen the front groin muscle. It is also very tight around the incision area and still quite swollen.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated fellow hippies

Kevin

Surgery 14/12/13 - Dr Patrick Weinrauch

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Swelling Pain & Stiffness
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
Hi Kevin and welcome to the club!
I don't think there's anything extraordinary about the symptoms you're describing. It's been said over and over in this forum that HR is major surgery that involves cutting through muscles that you use for moving your legs, not to mention drilling into the bone.
The timing might vary by individual but the swelling happens to everyone. Once it subsides your leg will probably turn many shades of blue, pink and purple. My wife was a nurse for 20 years and got worried about me when she saw that - but of course didn't tell me until after it went away.
Give yourself time, take medications to ease the pain if you need to. Different surgeons have different recovery protocols so it might be worth asking your surgeon (who was it?) for specific recommendations.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
Be carful and talk to a doctor, because it also can be thrombosis
..... I will find out

lgbran

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
Hello Kevin,
The first 2 weeks are tough. My leg was like a log for the first
Week or so. The swelling disappears . It takes time. i iced religiously around the clock . Do your homework here (look at other posts). Take the meds prescribed and listen to your body.I almost at week 6 and I don't want to go through the first 2 weeks again in a hurry. Any issues don't be afraid to contact your GP/Surgeon. Every day brings a new ache/feeling/ sensation. All the best in your ongoing recovery. Icing was my friend for the first month. I had ice in 2 freezer bags placed in a pillow slip and planted on hip for most of the day /night . no bruising at all

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Jnick

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
Hey Kevin. I'm new to the site like you and I'm 8 days post surgery. Like some have said and I can attest this first week was way worse than I expected. My operated leg is also still swollen but is decreasing everyday. My pain/stiffness/deep ache is more posterior like deep in the glute but early on I did have a lot of stiffness and weakness in front of hip. Ths stiffness is going away but still very weak. All that being said this has been my best day by far. Hang in there it's rough but hopefully you'll "turn a little corner" soon. 

Kevin Warr

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:33:27 AM »
Hello All

Thanks very much for all of your comments. It makes me feel a lot better knowing this is all quite normal. The surgeon said not to worry but is always good to hear from other people going through the same thing.

A very Merry Christmas to all and lets hope that we have a pain free day.

Kevin

Juno

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »
Hi Kevin and welcome!
I just had my second HR 11 days ago and can tell you what you ate experiencing is normal. Others are correct -- the first several weeks are really tough and it was major surgery-- give it time. My  hip to knee was about 3x its size up until 2 days ago. In 48 hours I lost 6 pounds of fluid and swelling! I will say it now actually hurts a bit more that the swelling is down (less cushion!).

Also, you will experience muscle fatigue, stiffness, soreness and just weird twinges up /down / front/ back of the entire leg, not just in your hip. All of the muscle are interconnected, working to stabilize your entire pelvis and leg (including your core). It really takes months before its all working in tandem again. I was 5 months post op on my right hip and I will tell you I was just beginning to feel really strong at that point.

Th good news is we all have each other to commiserate with!!
Best of luck!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Kevin Warr

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
Well Christmas Day has come and gone and I am now at 12 days Post Op. I am finding it difficult to find a chair that I can sit in that is comfortable and when I get up and stand after sitting for more than 10 minutes my leg tightens so much and is still quite painful. The swelling is still there. Icing does not seem to help either that issue or the pain.
Yesterday I went off my meds for the day and also had a couple of beers with Christmas lunch. Not a good idea on both accounts. I ended up in pain until I popped some Endone late that night. I will stay away now from alcohol (gees and new years eve is upon us) until I am further down the track.
Sleeping is still very eratic only getting blocks of 2 hours at a time. I really hate sleeping on my back. Just cant seem to get comfortable.
I have been wearing both TEDS and Skins to try and help the swelling but having both on is driving me crazy, so I am opting to just wear the skins and see how it goes.

Jnick......how are you going with your recovery ???????

Kev from Down Under

Jnick

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
Kev. Hate to hear your Christmas day didn't go all that well.  I'm coming along nicely. Swelling is nearly gone except for foot.  Using a walker of course, I did 2 walks yesterday afternoon on the street in front of the house.  Nights are still the worse.  Temp may only go up to only 99.5 but it still gives me the chills. Still sleep in 2-3 hr blocks but I always have to urinate so guess that's good and that's why swelling is abating.  Hang in there. Hopefully you will have that "day" when you feel like you are on track to mend.

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
Hi Kev,

Well Christmas Day has come and gone and I am now at 12 days Post Op. I am finding it difficult to find a chair that I can sit in that is comfortable and when I get up and stand after sitting for more than 10 minutes my leg tightens so much and is still quite painful.

I found that sitting was just not that comfortable for a long period of time. I got relief from walking every fifteen minutes or so, even if just to move around my living room.

The swelling is still there. Icing does not seem to help either that issue or the pain.
Yesterday I went off my meds for the day and also had a couple of beers with Christmas lunch. Not a good idea on both accounts. I ended up in pain until I popped some Endone late that night. I will stay away now from alcohol (gees and new years eve is upon us) until I am further down the track.

The swelling will go down, but the ice alone won't do it. It takes time - you've had major surgery and your body is still pi$$ed at you. Try taking in fluids as much as possible. It will help get the swelling down, force you to walk to the rest room, etc...

Sleeping is still very eratic only getting blocks of 2 hours at a time. I really hate sleeping on my back. Just cant seem to get comfortable.

Sleeping was an issue for me both times. It took me about a month to get to 4 - 6 hours. I just scheduled a nap at the same time every day - 1 p.m., then lay there even if just to doze and relax. No pressure.

As to comfort, what really helped me was to put a pillow under the operated leg knee or both knees. It took the stress off my back and seemed to help quite a bit.

I have been wearing both TEDS and Skins to try and help the swelling but having both on is driving me crazy, so I am opting to just wear the skins and see how it goes.

I used TEDs to avoid blood clots, not to get the swelling down. I used them for a month daily, but took them off at night. I'd check with the doctor about how he or she wants you to use them. What are skins?

Jnick......how are you going with your recovery ???????

Kev from Down Under

Things will improve, Kev (and Jnick) - the swelling goes away and never returns, so keep the faith - soon you'll be off meds, celebrating and having a good hippy time in the new year coming.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Kevin Warr

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
Hi Hernanu

Thanks for your response to each of my issues. I will try the things you have recommended.
I will be increasing my fluid intake (not beer) water. It is still a bit of a pain getting in and out of bed especially at night.
I have decided to just give the Skins a go for the time being. (not so tight).
Because I am not used to having broken sleep and feel tired during the day, so like you am having a nap during the day with legs elevated....
I am walking about 200 metres twice a day plus my exercises which probably doesn't help the swelling either. The Physio today said I might be doing too much too quick and to slow down for another week....hmmmm .
Would welcome other hippies stories on recovery as well...

Kev

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
That sounds good. Was the reason for the TEDs blood clot prevention?

I had both aspirin and the TEDs specifically for that, so you may want to check with the surgeon about its use and length of time expected to use it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

keepmovin

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
To all you Christmas Hippies – Juno, Kevin Warr, Jnick – wishing you a pain free, healthy recovery in the New Year!

Kevin Warr – hope things improve for you, you got great advice from Hernanu!  I just went through a setback and I’m just getting back on my feet!  We  hope we’re one of the lucky ones and go through this without a hitch – the odds seem to play against us!  I am 9 weeks out and still sleep the majority of the night on my back.  Like Hernanu suggested, a pillow helps but in the early days I found myself using two – helped to relieve pressure on the legs and lower back.  Also, like you mentioned lots of liquids – mainly water!

It will get better!

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Jnick

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. I'm 2 weeks post-op today.  Home health nurse removed 26 staples this am! Walked about a quarter mile outside today with walker. Get a little achy and stiff afterwards but not too bad.  Have first follow-up with ortho on Tuesday. Really think I could go to a cane by then. At any rate hoping he will X-ray just for peace of mind and move on from there. Kevin good luck and keep hanging on.

Kevin Warr

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
Hello All

Well 2 weeks in as well yesterday and the swelling has gone down due to elevating my leg every 4 hours for 30 minutes. I am also walking on sticks which I have been doing since leaving hospital.

The TEDS I am wearing are just to prevent Blood Clots.....

The SKINS which I referred to in an earlier post are Compressions Tights similar to what you would wear in the gym on road bike cycling. They go from the ankle to the waist and are designed to help with support of the leg muscles. You can also use them in lieu of the TEDS.

I am alternating both at the moment depending on how hot it is. We have a 38C day coming tomorrow so will wear the TEDS.

So, progress looks like happening thankfully. As far as my Meds, I am only taking Endone X 1 twice a day now for pain and Pandol Osteo 2 tabs 3 times a day along with 1 X Iron tablet and 1 X Blood thinner tab.

Bring on the recovery.

I am now walking 200 metres 3 times a day with sticks.

I must say that it has been so very helpful hearing from everyone on the various topics. It is a great support knowing we are not alone out there.

I would also like to thank the convenor Patricia Walter for running these forums......keep up the great work we all appreciate it.

Happy New Year

Kev

Kevin Warr

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
Hello All

Have a question.

Can anyone tell me when they started on an exercise bike?
 and for how long

Miguelito

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
Seven weeks, at PT. 10 minute warm-up 2x week. None of this was on Dr.'s orders. At six months I went back to gym but took it very easy until the one year mark. I get the sense that my doc is fairly conservative in first six month rehab, so I took that and ran with it.

I am going into my second hip surgery in much better shape and plan on being more aggressive in rehab, maybe with the exercise bike especially. I don't believe my doctor would allow a road bike for at least six months (head of the femur).

I suspect doctors prefer walking over even exercise bike. But I don't think an exercise bike would jeopardize the head of the femur so could probably be used relatively early in rehab. Not an expert though, so don't rely on my opinion.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Kevin Warr

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Heh Mike

Thanks for that. I am going to start with 5 - 10 mins daily. When are you going in to get the 2nd hip done. At least this time you will have lots of experience to call upon.
Good luck mate.

Kev

Miguelito

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 08:00:31 AM »
Thank you! In March. Yes, definitely less unknown the second time around.
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Juno

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
Hi guys-- like Mike, Dr. Gross did both of my surgeries. He is pretty adamant that less is more when it comes to the first few months. With my first hip I waited until I was cleared from him at 6 weeks (exam and X-ray) and the started on the stationary bike and elliptical for 15 minutes a day with no resistance. By week 8 I was back in spin class and doing 30 minutes at low resistance. I built that up fairly quickly and by 4 months I was doing my preop spin workout of 60 minute full class, heavier resistance and standing in the saddle. I felt strong!

It worked well the last time, so I'm going with it again this time too. I am now almost 4 weeks postoperative and have not attempted any exercise except walking just yet. I figure I'll get back to the gym in two weeks and get on the bike and start with light upper body weights. Patience!!!

Good luck!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz