+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 2365 times)

Ashwani

Need Advice
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
Hi ,
I had my Left Hip resurfaced in Nov 2005, from Dr. Bose. So far things looks good. Now I am thinking of getting my right Hip done.
As I live in Washington D.C. metro area , thinking of going to Dr. Mont in Baltimore.
The material I have read indicates that Dr. Mont uses Wright Medical Conserve Plus Device, which is still Investigational Device in USA. 
My left hip have Smith & Nephew BHR Device. I have two main questions,

1. Does anyone know if Dr. Mont used S&N device or Dr. Mont is strictly with wright Medical ? Should I go with S&N only being my first surgery is S&N.

2. How about the approval by insurance companies for Wright Medical Device work? I have united Health Care HMO.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I think most doctors stick with one or two kinds of implants.  The Wright c+ has a very good history and is often used by Dr. De SMet in Belgium when he can't find a BHR to fit.  One lady I was with did not get a BHR since the right size was not manufactured and she received a Wright C+.  I know Dr. De Smet likes the instrumentation for the Wright C+

I don't think it would hurt to have two kinds of hips as long as the doctor makes sure you legs are at the same length. 

You would have to ask Dr. Mont if he uses any other devices.  My guess is that he does not.

The insurance companies will pay for FDA approved components.  That's how Dr. Gross gets all the Biomet hip resurfacings covered.  It is not approved as a system, but off label for each component.  Dr. Gross has written an explanation of this on this page  http://www.surfacehippy.info/fdaapproval.php

Dr. Mont is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon.

Dr. Waldman is also in MD and does do the BHR. He has done over 300 BHRs.

Barry J. Waldman, MD - BHR Trained McMinn 2006
300 Hip Resurfacings to date***
The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
2700 Quarry Lake Dr,
Baltimore MD 21117
410 377-8900
www.totaljointjoint.com

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ashwani

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
Thanks Pat for the reply. Yes I have to talk to Dr. Mont regarding leg length, really good point.
Also the reason I am looking for Dr. Mont is number of surgeries Dr. mont did.

If I have to go for BHR I would prefer to  go to Dr. Bose rather than Dr. Waldman.
Only reason I want to go for surgery in USA is if insurace company can pay for the surgery.

I have one more concern which I read but never understood is Posterior vs. Anterior Approach. I think Dr. Bose and Dr. Mont don't use the same approach.
Any idea?

thanks-

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:41:49 PM »
I agree, Dr. Mont is very experienced and would certainly know how to make sure both legs are the same length.  Can't believe there is probably that much difference between the two hip devices, but be sure to ask the question.

Most of the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons that have been doing resurfacing for a long time all use the posterior approach.  They believe it to be the best approach so no potential nerve damage occurs.  Some of the newer surgeons are starting to use the anterior for hip resurfacing.  Most of the doctors dont think this is a very good idea.  Again, nothing new is ever discovered if someone doesn't have different ideas.

You can read about the approaches here and why the doctors pretty much stick to it
http://www.surfacehippy.info/surgicalapproaches.php

I don't really know which approach Dr. Mont uses. Just ask him to explain it all to you.  I have Dr. Mont's video about 1/2 the way down this page.  It is very good  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacinginfo.php

I also understand, you can't do much better than Dr. Bose! 

For some reason, I don't think Dr. Mont likes my website very well, otherwise I would ask him to write an article if he uses the anterior approach.  If you use him, maybe you can find out more info for all of us.

I did find more info on another website - he prefers the anterior approach.  You can read the info here
http://www.hipresurfacinginfo.com/approach.html

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:00:42 PM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bernsber

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

I also understand, you can do much better than Dr. Bose!

Can you clarify what you meant in this statement?
Thanks. :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
SORRY

That was a typo - I meant you can't do much better than Dr. Bose.  He is one of the best in the world.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bernsber

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:08 PM »
Thanks Pat! :)

I personally knew that was what you meant, but I wanted to give you the chance to clarify.

Thanks again for all your hard work! ;D

Tarhoo2

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:48:28 PM »
Dr. Andy Engh of the Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic in Arlington and associated with the Inova Joint Replacement Center is outstanding.  He did both of my BHR's (12/18/07 and 4/4/08) and I am a very happy double surface hippy!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear