+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another 6 week update, Merry Xmas and a healthy happy new year and a question  (Read 2490 times)

lgbran

Hi folks,
Can't be.ive it's 6 weeks today since my RBHR. Down to 1 crutch, sleeping on my side  with a knee pillow , doing some stretches, water PT and eating everything within arms reach lol.

Over the last week have gone ahead in leaps and bounds. very confident on the 1 crutch but the physio wants me to still use until the new year.I have been given the go ahead to stretch down in between my legs by the surgeon.the 90 degree rule isn't as crucial but avoid stretching and reaching outside of my leg. In regards to walking distances I now cover 1.2 ks in 22 minutes. With 2 crutches a few weeks ago this would take a good 30 minutes. Can I literally walk my backside off, how much is too much or should I just stick to this distance 2 to 3 times a day until I see the physio?.Have a great Xmas and new year folks.here in Australia we are in for a warm xmAs
Cheers Len

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Munch

Merry Xmas, Len!   And congrats on making it to the 6 week mark.  That seems like a long way off to me but it must be great to get clearance for more bending, etc.  keep it up. Sorry I'm to new to this to comment on how far it's safe to walk..
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

hernanu

Good stuff Len! It's a great milestone to hit, you are on your way. As to how much to walk... (wait for it)... listen to your body. If you push it too much, it will complain. Loudly. 

But otherwise, walking is the best thing for us.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lgbran

Thanks folks,
Munch by the sounds of it you are waiting fior surgery?. Trust me the 6 weeks post op have flown. Before you know it you will be there as well.
Hernan will do. Will listen to body not sure if I will do damage if I go for  say a 5 k walk or so. Regardless come the 2nd of jan  the last crutch will go and will get my trecking poles out.
Will have a good chat to my physio on that day and have an appointment early Feb with the surgeon (12weeks!) so will be far wiser. Looking forward to a healthy 2014.
Have a good one folks

Munch

Len,  I had left hip resurfaced December 9th and right one the 11th, so I just made it to 2 weeks post op on the first one.  But I'm too early to have a clue about how far to walk at which point, and I keep seeing comments about being careful not to overdo it, so I'm trying to be careful. Walking a bit over a half mile now and also up and on feet way more of the day but sure do get sore quickly when I'm up for any length of time..

lgbran

I take off my hat to you Munch ( and all other bilaterals) and apologies for not picking up you have been fixed. It's hard enough on one hope let alone I imagine getting both done in some a short space of time .  Before you know it it will be New Year and you will be kicking goals big time
Cheers Len

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Please take my advice, I did too much too soon which weakened the reforming bone then tripped and did serious damage. I tripped at 7 weeks was walking 4 miles on crutches then  without at work.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Munch

Jason0411, I hope you're fully recovered from that trip?  Not sure what it means to weaken reforming bone?  But I do take away that you also advise being careful/cautious not to overdo it in the first phase of recovery (and maybe beyond?)..  Thanks for your comments!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:08:49 AM by Munch »

lgbran

Lots can happen in under 7 days. Hip and leg quite sore as a result of overdoing it progressively over. 3 days. A longer walk , driving the car, going to the pictures , and doing a stretch formy quad
With a rubber band thing and gaining 10 kg since the op, my leg blew up yesterday with the end result I slept on my back, iced and elevated the leg overnight to alleviate the pain and swelling. As others have said and as I have found out if you overdo all done unintentionally you will pay. You have to take it easy. Will try some hydrotherapy tomorow  to help. Don't rush

hernanu

All of us suffered setbacks, Len. You're doing the right thing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat