+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing failure  (Read 5630 times)

Krmfly41

Resurfacing failure
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
Has anyone had their resurfacing fail?  If so did you get a total hip replacement? And what hardware did you use?
 Hi I am a newbie here.  I just saw my surgeon today DEC 26 2013. And after 2 years...the hip he resurfaced in Jan 2011 has failed. The femoral pin has loosened and is causing me severe pain. I am very sad about it,because the right hip that he resurfaced in 2008 is perfect so I know how great resurfaced hips can be. I will be scheduled for revision surgery in Jan.  just wondering if anyone out there has a similar story?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:21:07 AM by Krmfly41 »

hernanu

Re: Resurfacing failure
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
Hi, welcome to the site, unfortunately for this reason.

Really sorry it failed - we have several folks here who have had their resurfacing fail, most were revised with THRs.

The type of revision can vary. According to the Australian registry, which keeps tabs on replacements / resurfacings in Australia, and is the most thorough, the revision types are: isolated femoral (48.2%), total hip replacement (41.75%) or acetabular only (6.8%).

I assume that can also change by what the surgeon believes in and / or is skilled in. As with resurfacing, for yourself, you want to choose the best possible surgeon, since you want the best outcome, even if you have to travel for it.

I would talk to several surgeons who are highly skilled in both THR and HR and see whether the resurfacing can be saved. If not, then there are very successful THRs available to alleviate your pain. But pick a really good surgeon.

The THRs that are available now are very good, so once the surgery is done, if that's the choice, you should be in good shape and ready to resume life. The rate of re-revision (to a revision) as seen by the Australian registry is also low (about 10%), so once it's done, you stand a good chance of keeping it for a long time.

We also have other hippies that were not able to have  an HR but are enjoying their new THRs as well.

Again - sorry to hear about the failure, but the revision to THR itself is a very good alternative if it can't be revised to an HR. We will try to help as much as possible...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PaulC UK

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
hi sorry to hear of your plight. I'm bi lateral, one HR left, right is THR 10 weeks out. My THR is exeter hip, which is norally used here in UK by our health service. I think it is made by Stryker. So far so good, it feels better than my BHR which may be starting to fail apparently, it is 6 years old. Recovery in my opinion is easier with THR, but mine wasn't reversion. Good luck and welcome to the lob sided club (one BHR one THR!) 

Krmfly41

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
To my two replies ..... Thank you for your information.
I will be having revision surgery on Wednesday January 8 2014.
I will keep you posted as to recovery and a pain free life!!!!

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
Since that's my birthday, I am sending you all of the birthday luck I can.

Hope all goes well and the result lasts for a long, long time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal